kabel

The Omurtag Gate

Of the two Valholl gates, the Northern one is the smaller one as it sees less traffic. However, it is no less important as it leads to the road towards Omurtag. Therefore the locals also refer to as the "Dwarfen Gate".

front view:

dscn1911.jpg

back view:

dscn1912.jpg

gates closed:

dscn1914.jpg

gates from the inside:

dscn1915.jpg

gate connected to other parts of the wall:

dscn1916.jpg

dscn1917.jpg

Nice work, simple but detailed :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice the use of the minifig from Heroica :classic:

One of my favorite builds from you yet!

I like the way you used inverted slopes and arches over the gate, and the decoration in the wall is superb :thumbup:

The round shield fits perfectly, keep up the great work for Mitgardia :classic:

I like the detailing, but the gate itself seems a little low- can a minifig on a horse even get under that thing?

well, thanks guys, I really put a lot of effort into this (it took me ages to figure out place of the hinges) so I'm glad you like it.

@Z: that's the funny thing about the wall project, it simply doesn't show how tall it is. In reality it's much higher, and I guess the others who participated in the Valholl community build will tell you the same. Anyway,

#1: It's the gate to Omurtag, so mostly dwarfes pass it

#2: yes, horse and rider have plenty of space :wink:

dscn1918.jpg

The gate is very nice but it is so much better looking when having the wall connected to it! Great use of the Heroica figs as said before!

You are really popping out mocs recently! :thumbup:

dscn1918.jpg

Very nice! It still looks a little low to me- but it is your gate! I guess I just imagine a gate being taller than it is wide- doesn't mean I know what I am talking about!

Nice gate, it looks great with the wall! I also really like the shield and the microfigs.

Great use of the micro-figs, they work really well on adding a pop of color on the front side. It is a great entry gate for dwarfs.

I love watching the way the wall keeps expanding, can't wait to see more.

I love the use of the double arches - it's a great look. The microfigs work well too. A small suggestion - maybe continue the crenellations on the wall across in light bley, and then have everything for the top building in dark bley? Just a thought to give the wall more continuity.

Great build!

I love the use of the double arches - it's a great look. The microfigs work well too. A small suggestion - maybe continue the crenellations on the wall across in light bley, and then have everything for the top building in dark bley? Just a thought to give the wall more continuity.

What if the top was still dark bley but started two or three bricks higher by making the opening arch two or three light bley bricks taller... do you think that would be pimp-a-licious? I do!!

What if the top was still dark bley but started two or three bricks higher by making the opening arch two or three light bley bricks taller... do you think that would be pimp-a-licious? I do!!

I must say, that would be pimp-a-licious - a grand alternative to my idea! Grand idea indeed, Yes yes.

thanks everybody for the great feedback.

@DG: Ever since I started this wall project, I've gotten into this building frenzy, I'll see how long that lasts

@EG: thanks, and yes, the microfigs make great columns, and in my hometown it's a rather common sight to be seen, such as this for instance:

1-rathauswaage-knaggenfiguren-2111.jpg

@Z and Rougang: I'll see what I can do, I'm just running really low on light bley with 5 wall sections having been build and another one under construction, but I might just give it a shot, thanks for the constructive criticism

Nice gatehouse!!

I love how you adapted these microfigures :thumbup:

And it fits really good in the other sections :classic:

Only one questoin: isn't it a bit too small for a capital city? :classic:

The gate is very nice but it is so much better looking when having the wall connected to it! Great use of the Heroica figs as said before!

You are really popping out mocs recently! :thumbup:

Aren't those figs from Pirate Plank (not Heroica - although they are similar :wink: )? Anyway, that's realy an awesome gate, I love the microfigure use and the studs under the arch! :thumbup:

yes Kai, you are right! The microfigs are from pirate plank as well as the lava whatsoever game (so is the orange baseplate :wink:). And, as you can see in the second picture of my signature, I've used them as columns before. Anyways, thanks for all the positive feedback.

@Z: although your idea sound very compelling, I decided to save the last bricks for my last wall section. It's going to be cool as well!!

@DM: Valholl actually has two gates, the Southern one being the main one, as can be seen in Eccle's map. The Northern gate is smaller, and it also serves the road to Omurtag, therefore being used by dwarfen traffic mainly! :wink:

Edited by kabel

Great addition to Valholl! I think the ornamention is excellent as is ofcourse the use of those miniminifigs! Also a nice touch of making those mitgardian signs.

And a small gate is also easier to defend :tongue::wink:

yes Kai, you are right! The microfigs are from pirate plank as well as the lava whatsoever game (so is the orange baseplate :wink:). And, as you can see in the second picture of my signature, I've used them as columns before. Anyways, thanks for all the positive feedback.

@Z: although your idea sound very compelling, I decided to save the last bricks for my last wall section. It's going to be cool as well!!

@DM: Valholl actually has two gates, the Southern one being the main one, as can be seen in Eccle's map. The Northern gate is smaller, and it also serves the road to Omurtag, therefore being used by dwarfen traffic mainly! :wink:

Ok for Dwarves, this looks indeed huge :laugh:

And a small gate is also easier to defend :tongue::wink:

I would think a taller wall would be easier to defend... I thought the entrance should be taller, not wider.

I would think a taller wall would be easier to defend... I thought the entrance should be taller, not wider.

I taller wall indeed, but a smaller gate and just talking about the doors is also easier to defend( when surrounded by fine towers. :wink:)

well, thank you guys for all the positive feedback, this is more than I would have hoped for this rather small project. As for the tallness, well I guess I comes all down to the amount of bricks one has. I much rather wanted to build several modules instead of one tall one. That's why the wall isn't as high as Ecclesiates's piece of wall on his tower. It is also more simple so that people with small amounts of bricks can participate in the build.

In the end, I guess you are both right. The last remaining gate in my home city

4844100_l.jpeg

is rather small, yet it is taller than wider. However, a current day truck wouldn't fit through this.

As for this project, I'm now building a tower that will serve as a sentry next to the gate.

Edited by kabel