I was wondering, how many get the kit for the Model or the parts.

Now I have a few technic kit (My wife thinks to many) I tend to look at kits for what parts it got :classic:

95% for the parts. The parts is what I have left after I built the model, so the parts better be worth the money. And LEGO is simply too expensive to just display and then don't touch anymore.

(That's why I probably won't buy the crawler. Of the 1300 parts it offers, only 100 or so are interesting. All the rest I already own enough of).

But I don't completely disregard the model and building experience ;)

I buy a set for the model, if I want parts for a MOC I design it first in CAD then create a part list and buy off bricklink. That way I know come building time I have all the parts I need, not having to make on the fly changes I don't like as I'v run out of something.

Interesting topic, I was going to say 100% for the set/s but then I realised apart from my new sets (Thanks to fathers day here in Australia) I don't have any other sets made up. Most sets I have are being used for MOCs. And just the other day I was eyeing off a Ninjago set that had 4 good large wheels and tires.

So now I'm leaning towards for parts!

Brendan

For me...I guess both. I buy a set that looks cool and has new or rare parts, and I always build the model first, but it never lasts more than a few days before I take it apartdefault_laugh2.gif because my mind is full of ideas default_classic.gif

50-50

As pointed out above, if I just wanted to build the model I could download the instructions, but if I only wanted the parts I could also just get the ones I don't already have on BL.

Great topic!

A couple of weeks ago i would have said for the models but i recently destroyed the trailer from 8049 tractor with log loader to use the power and pneumatic parts for a MOC im working on and when i laid out all the parts for 9396 Helicopter (yes i'm one of those organised builders) i thought "not a bad selection of parts there"......

sooooo 90% for the model but changing as i get into the hobby.

I,d have to say for the parts too, I,ve got most all the instructions on my computer so building the sets I don,t have is pretty easy provided I have all the parts needed to do it. I have doubles of some of the good sets so that helps, I look at the parts list for a given set on Brick Link and figure out if its a good set to have. I have so much stuff right now, space is limited.

Dan

Edited by skylinedan

Parts, definitely; it seems limiting to only construct your construction toy once. That said, many of my old studded sets remain built, I suppose due to nostalgia and that I don't find myself needing their parts.

I think 90% for models, my collection is slowly growin, from the early 80s till now. The problem is that almost all of them are in parts inside plastic bags because I haven't enough space to display them :( Lately I started building some simple mocs and doing some mods in certain sets to make them closer to reality(example differentials in old tractors).

I'm a bit "scared" to mix all the parts toghether from all sets, I'd like to keep them separated(especially the old ones from old sets).

That said I'm always surprised when I see mocs posted here and usually save them so I can try some.

Ciao

everyone has their opinions but IMO collecting lego sets and not touching parts defeats the purpose of Lego. Lego is meant to be taken apart to build something from your imagination, not sit on a shelf collecting dust...(unless you invest in old sets to sell them later for 3x original price)

Sets/models only, I build them and maybe the alternate too and then store them as separate sets in Zip-lock bags.

With exception of building 1 or 2 to set moc's made by community members which supply building instructions or detailed photo's for them.

I can't build my own moc's for a reason that's hard to explain in my native language, So I'm not even gonna try in English.

Great topic. 2 years ago when I had left my dark ages I bought a couple of sets for the model, from a year or more I buy 100% for the parts.

parts, parts, parts. very occassionally for the building techniques (like 8455's pneumatics, which, like an idiot, i failed to purchase).

KEvron

This is a tough question for me.

Since it's not so long ago i started with technic lego again i purchased my first sets for the models.

But more and more i'm getting into building moc's myself, so new sets don't last long in their build-state.

I'm looking at different perspective towards new sets.

Is it a nice model?

Does it have a good building experience and techniques?

Does it have a nice part inventory?

How's the price/parts ratio?

Ofcourse you do not always question this for every set, but since i do not buy that much, sets need some of the questions answered positive...

And the last question i'm forgetting, and this one becomes more important:

Does the set give you nice parts for building that sweet MOC from someone else?

Model all the way. I have all my Technic sets on display and never intend to take them apart.

What he said, except for maybe revieweving purposes.

Well, I build the model, then I take it to bits sometime after so I can use it for parts, my collection is mostly made up of sets I still have the nimog dismantled but not put with the rest of the parts though, I might do it but then its harder to fit the parts in their correct drawers. so I have one cabinet for the Unimog and the other cabinets are for the organized parts that mostly came from sets.

I have thought about building every model again and putting them in my room but I don't have space and I want to build Mocs or modify sets I built.

I think the nature of lego is that they should be taken apart at some point, that's why lego is so popular unlike say die cast cars or wooden blocks.

Edited by SNIPE

LOL... I am already harvesting sets when their preliminary pictures hit the web... :grin: My wife keeps the models built that she likes and gives me the ones that she doesn't...