Review: 10228 Haunted House

260 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

I wonder, how does anyone have heart to break this up and use the parts for MOCs?

I plan to buy it, but for display only. is it worth the money? :/

Oh yes, it's totally worth it as a display piece. (Sadly, I bought it in November, so the Halloween-utility had long passed.) The hinges allow you to either display it as a standing building, or open so you can see the inside. I have it on a room-divider shelf, so I can personally look at it from both sides while open depending on which side of the divider I'm standing.

The only thing I'd recommend is that due to the price, you might want to wait for a month when Lego is doing a sale special. Of course, it's hard to anticipate when these will be. I bought mine over "Brick Friday" weekend, so I got mine for 10% off, and they included a free Pick-a-Brick box and the Winter Sled scene. Plus, I bought it in Delaware, so I didn't have to pay sales tax. Of course, I have no idea when Lego is doing their next low-price special or freebies. February has a free City helicopter with a $35 purchase, so...is that something you want? Or do you want to roll the metaphorical dice and see if there's a better (for you) freebie? Just something to think about. (Too bad there's no more Monster Fighter specials available since the line is done--back in September, they had the Zombie Car which makes a nice accessory to the house.)

I'm still debating this one. Looks like a great selection of pieces and figures, just unsure about the price.

I'm still debating this one. Looks like a great selection of pieces and figures, just unsure about the price.

Just following up on my earlier post: looks like the Lego stores/online shop are doing double VIP points at the end of March. So I guess that unless you have a heads up on an upcoming 10% off sale, that'd be the time to buy it. At $180, that'd be about 360 points, or $15 in freebies for you. (You could buy the Halloween Accessory Pack for that amount--it'd give you some nice accents for the House. Just make sure you buy it AFTER you pay for the Haunted House.)

Any chance this set will still be available in January 2013?

Yes, I just bought the set in January 2013. I probably should have waited for double VIP point month in March.

If you meant January 2014, it is not currently listed as retiring soon on Lego.com.

Yes, I just bought the set in January 2013. I probably should have waited for double VIP point month in March.

If you meant January 2014, it is not currently listed as retiring soon on Lego.com.

Exactly. And I'm glad Lego is showing us what is "retiring soon". That is greatly appreciated for us stragglers...

Was on the fence for the longest time over this set. I knew I would love it, but justifing the price for it was hard. Finnally got the set and have to say its well worth the money. It looks amazing, and the playability is great too.

I guess its unlikely to see any major price reductions, and I can well see this being worth a fair bit once the set is retired (not that there is any sign of that happening soon)

My one small critisism would be a few parts of the interior are a bit sparse (ie the ground floor), but thats the fun of lego adding your own additions to the set. The Ghost/ Grandfather clock polybag is a must, as it fits in perfectly. I've also added in most of the other monsters from the series which fills out the set nicley.

I had this one, but haven't even opened it yet. I was planning this purchase for Halloween 2012, but then it only arrived to my country late November so close to Christmas. So will probably just save it for next Halloween lol..! :tongue:

this house is amazing, we are now building all the monster fighters sets to put around it.

Edited by genecyst

I just built this over the weekend so my daughter has a house to put her people in. The overall build was actually pretty boring, but the end result is a great display piece/playset. My main qualm with it was the repetitive nature of all of the windows and that I was actually missing a handful of pieces and had to go into my own supply to finish the build. I'll have to send a note to customer service and see if they will replace it even though they always question everything and ask for proof of purchase, which is quite difficult when it is a gift from someone else at Christmas.

Either way, the end looks great and I think it would make a good display piece. I originally bought it to build the Green Grocer instead, but ultimately decided to let my munchkin play with it so she could avoid my other Modulars.

I got mine last week, and I love it. Shockingly, it's much cheaper in Japan. It was about $135 here, and not restricted to Lego stores.

I wish it fit in better with the modulars, but it isn't a modular, so I understand that it doesn't. All in all, a great set, and a great way to get those Monster minifigs.

I got mine last week, and I love it. Shockingly, it's much cheaper in Japan. It was about $135 here, and not restricted to Lego stores.

I like this set but the price is still scaring me... :sceptic:, about 180€...

Edited by Zhar

I bought mine quite a while ago and I love it. It's a phenomenal model and I haven't hard the heart to break mine up. I think it's awesome and I've had it up since Halloween. The price is really scary, but I found it to be worth it. It's my showcase piece and it's what people see when they look at my collection.

Still waiting for a better price. You can currently get the 2200 piece Grand Emporium for £93 from Amazon.es, so £150 for the HH with only 2100 pieces is over 60% more expensive. I like the Haunted House set, but feel there's got to be a better deal on offer at some point.

This set is on my buy list and I will MOD it to open like the Modular Buildings (each floor comes off) as that will work best on a Train Layout.

I'm just wondering why so many seem to think this is a Modular set when it clearly isn't?

I know this post is a little old now, but I was thinking of doing the same thing for my new train layout and was wondering if you ever did this mod and if so how it worked out?

This set is awesome and well worth the $250 I paid for it here in Australia.

One of the most FUN sets I have built in ages.

This set was on my 'B' list to get, and finally got around to buying it. It came yesterday, and I opened the box and all sorts of parts spill out. I first thought it might of been a returned item, and someone had opened some of the bags, but now realize that it was just one of the bags was not sealed right, and it was half opened, and the parts spilled out inside the box. I did a count and they all seem to be there. The seals were not broken on the box.

I did notice one thing, on one of the stickers. There is one that I guess is supposed to be a poster about a contest, and it says "...Catch a zombie! Win the big price." I think it is supposed to say 'win the big prize.'

Looks like a lot of fun to build!

This set typically shows up very very high on the lists of "Best ever Lego sets". Apparently the Brick Show broke a story today that it will be retiring by Halloween, and whatever stock is out there is it. So if you have been wavering this might be a good moment to think about grabbing one quick.

"might be" retiring, it is nothing certain.

I think the set is too expensive. I'd prefer modulars over this one because I don't really like dark color theme on buildings. Another flop is the windows, they don't look too well for my liking and they have stickers. Part selection is okay but not good enough to justify the price. I mean, if I want sand green bricks, I can just buy them seperately.

Anyway, good set for display but sad to see Lego tries to get extra money out of a "non-licensed" set just because it resemble something licensed, something people would love to buy.