Review: 10228 Haunted House

260 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

This has to be one of TLG's most complex builds. Wow.

I just wish the interior was slightly less sparse; but I suppose all modulars are like that.

This set is on my buy list and I will MOD it to open like the Modular Buildings (each floor comes off) as that will work best on a Train Layout.

I'm just wondering why so many seem to think this is a Modular set when it clearly isn't?

I think it's because it's the only set at the size, complexity, and detail level of the modulars. So no, it's technically not a modular, but it looks like one.

I got the set. It's worth every penny.

The only thing that I really do not like about it, is the folding ladder. I try to keep it folded up so it doesn't catch my eye when I look at the set.

This set is on my buy list and I will MOD it to open like the Modular Buildings (each floor comes off) as that will work best on a Train Layout.

I'm just wondering why so many seem to think this is a Modular set when it clearly isn't?

I'm surprised they didn't do the detachable floors for this. Other than the modulars, the Friends sets and creator houses use a similar method to let you get to different parts of the house, or reconfigure the layout. This hinged approach is cute, but not ideal if you plan to place your set in a scene - only works on a hard floor/surface.

Edited by mrklaw

First, thanks for the great review! You have me even more excited!

Second, I have a question that you may or may not be able to answer. After I build the house the first time, I want to change it into a normal 32 stud modular. My question: based on the pieces given in the set, do you think it would be best to get a second set, or is the piece set such that I should just order all of the required extras from BL? I know it depends on my design, etc. etc., but some sets just lend themself better to adjusting (for instance, if the set was mostly 1x6s, you don't have much control as you would if it were mostly 1x4s or 1x2s.

Anyway, I was just wondering your (or anybody's) point of view given your careful look at the set. My first house should be on the doorstep soon - can't wait. Thanks, again.

Beautiful review, great looking house, can't stop drooling over the sand green pieces, mini figures are a bit disappointing, something other than a 'standard' looking Dracula would have helped.

Mine arrived last night, and I got two floors built. Today at works is going to drag!

Mine arrived wednesday... and haven't been able to put two bricks together... too busy with work... :sceptic:

For those asking about how it looks with modulars:

7950270016_08c88066fc_c.jpg

As you can see, it can't fit flush with them. The right side has the side door. The left side has the hinge bricks in the chimney - if you removed those it'd fit side by side.

Also, I think it feels a little too big for the others. Sure, the floors are the same size, but it's a single house as big as a fire station. Just doesn't feel right. I think it'd work better in a large layout to have it close and the other modulars farther away to give some perspective.

For those asking about how it looks with modulars:

*snip*

As you can see, it can't fit flush with them. The right side has the side door. The left side has the hinge bricks in the chimney - if you removed those it'd fit side by side.

Also, I think it feels a little too big for the others. Sure, the floors are the same size, but it's a single house as big as a fire station. Just doesn't feel right. I think it'd work better in a large layout to have it close and the other modulars farther away to give some perspective.

I received mine yesterday and put it together. Today, I put it with my other modulars (have them all except MS), and I was thinking the same thing regarding the size. I still want to modify it to fit, but I am unsure how to do it yet. It is just a matter of time until somebody does (I think). I am curious how they overcome the dimensions (and make it feel like it fits with the line of modulars - something seems to be off as well - too many large smooth pieces? I don't know).

If for whatever reason the HH were to be in line with the other Modulars, I picture it more recessed a little to allow the normal sidewalk, then some front yard. But by doing that the entire building would be so deep it would fall off any counter you display them on! With that said, I don't believe it to fit too well directly with the Modulars due to the size. I could picture it just outside the modulars on a side street like in a lot of smaller towns where it transitions pretty abruptly due to the small size of the area. I'm thinking of my hometown (population about 1,100 people) and how the downtown will have these taller buildings then all of a sudden residential district starts.

But I also think the HH could be modified a bit to be an actual Modular instead of an actual house. I plan on doing that, although I like how the house looks on its own. I'll have to wait and see after I get mine for Christmas.

Excellent review, mostlytechnic - thanks !

I'm absolutely delighted that LEGO have released this set, but I'm also a little surprised. It's hard to clearly see the target audience. On the one hand the attention to detail, parts count and price puts it up there with the modulars and suggests a set for AFOLs, but on the other hand the cartoony feel (largely driven by the minifigures, admittedly) and association with the Monster Fighters theme suggests a younger, less affluent audience and might act as a deterrent to some AFOLs. So it might fall between two groups. I think it's a wonderful set, and can't wait to get one, but I fear that once the initial buzz has died down sales might be sluggish. I very much hope I'm wrong, though, and we get other quirky sets like this in future....

Dr. D.

well, you do have one blank side of the hose... maybe you could lean that wall to other modular building...

or you could make a square fence so it would look like empty long forgoten mention in the middle of the town :thumbup:

Seriously Lego, that kid's gotta be what, like 25 by now? Get a new photo!

Indeed! You dont see any 25 year olds around here, do you!? :look:

Great review, great set, but personally I couldnt justify the price if I was going to buy it!

My boyfriend and I bought this set two days ago and built it last night. We love it!!! One of best Lego sets ever we have. We also have Monsters Castle as wsll.

Great review! It makes me want this set even more. So many great parts. :classic:

Great review!

I can understand the modular fans wanting this but I don't see it sitting on a busy street with the other modulars. It sits up above and away from the city perched on a hill. It is a scary yet curious place for the city residents. The bravest of which will venture to explore whats up on the hill. Then even further in the distance is some castle wrapped in clouds and fog.

:devil:

I was building this set in LDD and they could have been a bit more creative with the run-down effect. Like broken or missing ornaments on the windows (since you all build them seperately anyway), holes in the ceiling, holes in the walls, etc.

it's waaay too expensive and seeing this review I see it's nothing special :sceptic:

I'd have to agree I think. I saw it in the flesh at the Brighton Lego store and whilst some features look good like the broken shutters etc.... It is much too expensive for what it is. It's a shame because I really wanted it but after seeing it I changed my mind. :sad: Still, on the bright side thats £150 towards my Flagship now!

I had been anticipating this set for months and bought it the day it came out (even though it was a poor financial decision). I still haven't finished building it as I like to take my time, but so far it's a beautiful (I feel funny using this word to describe a 'haunted house,' ha) set and I'm not disappointed in the least. Probably going to purchase a baseplate for it and put a little cemetery next to the house.

Edited by Mitch2742

This set is "dying" to turn into a mansion for The Munsters, complete with a "spot" (green dragon) underneath the staircase, a coffin for grandpa, and the hearse from 9464 parked out front. I don't think this set was intended to fit in with the other modular sets. Its just a coincidence that it shares some similarities with them.