Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest #44: My Best Friend

"Please, we are not here to harm you. We are only trying to find a lost boy. It looks like maybe he lived down here with you. Will you talk to us?"

The elder orc grunts, and eyes Cinna suspiciously.

"What trick is this? We were told these corridors were empty - save for the dragon that lives down the hallway. We have not seen a soul since we were brought here yesterday."

"Where's Kulkulkhan, or whatever that guy's name is. He knows me, let me talk to him, he seemed reasonable, last we met."

A voice speaks behind the party.

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"I am here. And just in time, it seems."

A one-eyed orc with a feathered bandana walks in between the heroes and addresses the greenskinned maroons.

heroicaquest44-orcmaroons2.jpg

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"My people! These people do not pose a threat to you; they are from Heroica, and on a quest unrelated to our situation. It is only a coincidence that they happened upon these tunnels on this very day. Your escape has not been endangered."

Then the orc leader turns to the party.

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"I see a familiar face here. The rest of you might be interested to know that I am Kukulkan, liberator of the enslaved orckin. I was once a slave myself, but I fought myself to freedom and joined Heroica. That became my salvation, for my previous owners could not touch me after that. But all of us are not fighters, so I'm taking these people you see gathered here out of the city. All of them risked their lives to escape their enslavers, but they are not safe until they reach Baltarok, their ancestral home. The designated ship will set anchor below the Dragon's Ledge tonight after dusk, and these people will embark on it and be free at last. I trust you honourable heroes will keep this information to yourselves - or would you rather face my spear in battle?"

Kukulkan's one eye looks at each hero defiantly. The other greenskins have not lowered their makeshift weapons yet.

Does Shaun look like any of these people?

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Are you daft?" Sküld whispers back to Nerwen. "Shaun's no greenskin! But if there's a dragon up ahead, maybe he got eaten. I'm really worried now..."

The elder orc grunts, and eyes Cinna suspiciously.

"What trick is this? We were told these corridors were empty - save for the dragon that lives down the hallway. We have not seen a soul since we were brought here yesterday."

"Dr-dr-dr-draaaagon?!??" Benji moans. He asks Kukulkan: "What can you tell us about this dragon? Is he down the path to the left?"

"Damn, luckily we did not go to the left-side" esclaims Alexander and then "What do you know, Kukulkan, about a boy called Shaun?"

Says to himself "Strange that there is a dragon down here, so close to a city as Eubrick"

"Dr-dr-dr-draaaagon?!??" Benji moans. He asks Kukulkan: "What can you tell us about this dragon? Is he down the path to the left?"

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"If you come across the dragon, you'll find out that she is quite docile. My friend, Cain Tiamateus, is her partner. Her lair is located beyond this chamber - this is actually her foodstock that she kindly lent to our use. The left corridor actually leads to the Dragon's Ledge, which the dragon uses to enter and exit her lair. The ledge is located on the cliffs west to the city, inaccessible unless you can fly and well hidden from prying eyes."

"Damn, luckily we did not go to the left-side" esclaims Alexander and then "What do you know, Kukulkan, about a boy called Shaun?"

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"I know no-one with that name, I am sorry. I am aware that you are on a mission for this young girl here. This Shaun is the person you seek, right?

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Yup, that's right! The dragon didn't eat him, did she?"

Kukulkan looks almost amused, although the stern orc hides it well.

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"No, I don't think she did. But she might know more about him, if the boy actually lives down here. We orcs are just visitors. The sooner I get these people out of here, the better for everyone. I hope you find your friend, girl."

"It's good to see you still live. I won't get in your way. You do good work here."

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"You expected me to get killed for liberating slaves? You obviously still do not realize my position in this city, although I can't deny that there has attempts to take my life. But the mighty Tarok is on my side, and He is known to destroy anyone who stands in His way. Lucky for Eubric, I have no desire to become 'Tarokai the Second'. I just don't want anyone to suffer in slavery like I did."

The tension finally loosens. Kukulkan shows the party the way to the dragon's lair. Does the party have something else to ask from the orcs, or do they wish to continue to see the dragon?

"Thank you for your time, kind orc." Benji forces a smile.

For all the pleasure given to him by the Greenskins plans for freedom, it was doubled by the exuberance given to him knowing a Dragon dwelt underneath Eurbic.

"Well, what are we waiting for chaps? Mr. Kukulkan, I wish you every success in your ventures here, but we've a Dra- *ahem* young man to find. Let us move on, post-haste!"

"Good luck for your travel Kukulkan" after saying that, Alexander looks at the other heroes and says "Go on, fellow heroes, we have a dragon to encounter and a boy to find". After that Alexander is ready to move with the party.

"You expected me to get killed for liberating slaves? You obviously still do not realize my position in this city, although I can't deny that there has attempts to take my life. But the mighty Tarok is on my side, and He is known to destroy anyone who stands in His way. Lucky for Eubric, I have no desire to become 'Tarokai the Second'. I just don't want anyone to suffer in slavery like I did."

"Exactly my point. Watch your back, there will come a time someone won't take so kindly you liberated his slaves, and will seriously pose a threat. Been there done that. I've been meaning to ask, as you probably know, there was almost a riot in the hovels earlier today, do you know anything about it? The ones that fired up the crowd were trained combatants, probably hired help."

A dragon? It wouldn't be the first time Hybros had to deal with one. He glanced at Guts, before following the rest of the party to the lair.

Thalion listened carefully to the conversation the heroes had with Kukulkan and hearing about the partnership between a dragon and another he asked: "Master Kukulkan, can you tell us something about that Cain Tiamateus!?"

After this Thalion is ready to continue.

Edited by -obelix-

Sarick was excited that a second quest would allow him to meet a dragon. He was ready to move on with the party.

"Exactly my point. Watch your back, there will come a time someone won't take so kindly you liberated his slaves, and will seriously pose a threat. Been there done that. I've been meaning to ask, as you probably know, there was almost a riot in the hovels earlier today, do you know anything about it? The ones that fired up the crowd were trained combatants, probably hired help."

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"It is not only us Orckin that are rising to oppose the current status quo in Eubric. The poor and the oppressed have had enough, they want some order and justice to this city. And of course the Wolfgang have seized the opportunity and promised them just that. But does anyone really want to see a criminal organization leading Eubric? Even if the Wolfgang have done some good, it is not nearly enough to outdo the turmoil they've caused. Of course the same thing could be said from any of the six houses in power... "

"Master Kukulkan, can you tell us something about that Cain Tiamateus!?"

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"You already know he owns the house that you came through, as well as these tunnels. I won't tell you anything else - if you run into him down here, you're free to ask him yourself."

With that, the heroes continue their way further into the depths below the city. A wide tunnel lead down from the back of the foodstock, and there were old bloodstains and broken bones scattered around the tunnel as a sign from the dragon's numerous feasts. Eventually the tunnel ended into a great cave that could easily hold dozens of dragons. There was even a huge head of a dragon carved on the opposing end of the cave. But the heroes' attention was mostly drawn towards the golden hoard splattered across the cave floor. Amidst coins, plates and cups were crowns, ornamental helmets and wondrous weapons - all gleaming and glittering in gold.

heroicaquest44-dragonslair1.jpg

What will the party do now?

Party:

heroica_1.jpg

Alexander Vandangant (Wedge09)

99 years old elven Ranger

Level 2

Power
: 5
(2+3)

Health
: 7/7
(6+1)

Gold
: 10

Equipment
: Bow (WP: 3)

Inventory
: Spider Leg (WP:8, doubled against flying enemies; spear), Amethyst (
Darkness
), 2 Potions, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Dirt Bomb, Ice Bomb

assassin_benji.jpg

Benji Carvenhall (Flare)

27 years old male half-elven Assassin

Level 21 2/3
*Counterstrike*
*Encouraged*

Power:
(21+13)

Defense:

Health:
32/32
(6+20+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Demonic Scissors (WP:13,
fire
-elemental, damages two enemies in one turn; daggers), Tricorne (SP:3), Counterstrike Gloves (
After the wearer is struck by a Free Hit they counter with strength equal to their level; handwear)

Inventory:
Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP: 13;
darkness
ice
light
-elemental), Horned Hat (SP +1, Power +1, suitable for barbarians and beast warriors; headwear), 7 Grand Potions, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 4 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 2 Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, 3 Bones

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall (Fred Fred Burger)

27 years old male human Knight

Level 14 ½
*Immune to Weakened, Bound and Slowed*

Power:
(14+8+2+1)

Defense:

Health:
23/23
(10+13)

Gold:

Equipment:
Great Sword (WP:8), Mockthril Shield (SP:4), Pugilist's Gloves (Power +2, protects from weakened-effect), Winged Sandals (Protects from bound- and slowed-effects)

Inventory:
Tricorne (SP:3), Paladin's Armor (unsuitable), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Health Core, Remedy, Mead, 2 Rums, 2 Smoke Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bone

7799445022_26c70f4173_o.jpg

Cinna the Dark (darkdragon)

19 years Female Human Mystic Knight

Level 20 2/3
*Immune to
Fire

Power:
(20+14+1+1)

Defense:
(2+1)

Health:
32/32
(5+19+7+1)

Ether:
26/26
(5+19+1+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mauryl (WP:14, ranged), Aurora Helmet (SP:2, immune to
fire
), High Heels (Power +1, suitable for women; footwear), Anniversary Medal:Y1 (+1 to all stats per year; accessory)

Inventory:
, Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Healing Staff (WP:5), Scroll of Sleep, 6 Grand Potions, 6 Remedies, Elixir, Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, 4 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, Soma, 2 Deadly Venoms, Fire Bomb, Bedroll, 3 Bones

De%27kra_and_Kapura.png

De'kra (Tanma)

11 year old "male" "echo" Assassin

Level 18½
*Immune to Enamored and Confused*

Power:
(18+7)

Defense:

Health:
29/29
(7+17+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Kapura (WP:7,
fire
-elemental), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP: 1), Heart Locket (Protects from enamored effect and confused effect)

Inventory:
Chiara (WP:7,
lightning
-elemental), Fauxthril Hand Cannon (WP:7), Cloak of the Elven Spy, 7 Potions, 3 Grand Potions, 3 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, Dirt Bomb, Ice Bomb, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass

av-28776.jpg

Dreyrugr (Vash the Stampede)

1000 year old male vampire Rogue

Level 5

Power:
(5+5)

Health:
11/11
(7+4)

Gold:

Equipment:
Shadeaux Dagger (WP:5)

Inventory:
Longsword (WP:3), Potion, Remedy, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll

IMG_2373.JPG

Erik Tyrvarr (Myrddyn)

18 years old male human Barbarian

Level 12
*Restoration*
*Immune to
Water

Power:
(12+13)

Defense:

Health:
19/19
(8+11)

Gold:

Equipment:
Voltedge (WP: 13,
lightning
-elemental; greatsword/longsword), Barbarian's Boots (Natural Respite>Restoration; footwear), Sharkskin Armor (SP +1, immune to
water
; bodywear)

Inventory:
Titanic Axe (WP:11,
earth
-elemental, has 1/6 chances of inflicting petrified-effect; axe), Spear (WP: 9), Potion, Holy Bomb, 2 Death Progg Claws

7441682730_7e226292c6_t.jpg

Guts Holla (Scubacarrot)

42 year old male human Raider

Level 21
*Natural Respite*
*Dance*
*Encouraged*
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(21+14)
(30 for ranged attacks
(21+9)
)

Health:
34/34
(7+20+7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Fafnir (WP:14,
ice
- and
darkness
-elemental; greatsword), Dancing Shoes (In the turn after a "4" is rolled, the wearer can act twice)

Inventory:
Lifestealer (WP:14,
ice
-elemental, attacks restore 3 health; dagger), Throwing Knife (WP:9, ranged, retrievable,
light
-elemental), 4 Grand Potions, 1 Grand Tonic, 1 Elixir, 5 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Meads, 2 Nostrums, 2 Smelling Salts, Shovel, Telescope, Bedroll, Beholder's Eye (allows one round per quest to be replayed), 3 Mythril Shards (3/4 of a Mythril)

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros (JimButcher)

50-year-old male imp Assassin

Level 21 1/3
*Hastened*
*Immune to Cursed and Sudden Death*
*Lucky*

Power:
(21+15)

Defense:

Health:
33/33
(7+20+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:15,
earth
-elemental), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed; bodywear), Blessed Amulet (protects from cursed-effect; accessory);
Cobweb Cowl (Grants immunity to sudden death; backwear)

Inventory:
Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), Throwing Knife (WP:8, retrievable), Throwing Knife (WP:8, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable), Emerald (
Wood
), 10 Potions, 10 Grand Potions, 5 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 2 Nostrums, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone

gc5570571444584664818.jpg?width=80&height=75&aspect=fitwithin&padcolor=ffffff&size=thumb

Mizuki Kimura (zakura)

21 years old female human Rogue

Level 12
*Encouraged*
*Lucky*

Power:
(12+10)

Health:
18/18
(7 + 11)

Gold:

Equipment:
Dagger (WP:10)

Inventory:
Sylph Shuriken (WP:12,
wind
- and
light
-elemental; throwing weapon), Potion, Grand Potion, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 2 Venoms, Mead, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Cannonball, Death Progg Claw

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpg

Namyrra Uq (Quarryman)
***Party Leader***

1337 years old female Fenarian Evoker

Level 22
*Immune to Sealing*

Power
: 34
(22+12)

Defence
: 8
(5+3)

Health
: 29/29
(5+21+3)

Ether
: 33/33
(5+21+1+1+5)

Gold
: 44

Equipment
: Snake Staff (WP:12), Fanged Helm (SP:5, headwear), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, immune to Sealing, bodywear)

Inventory
: Shiny Dagger (WP:10), Bone Staff (WP:3), Amethyst, Opal, Emerald, Topaz, Garnet, Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, 4 Potions, Tonic, 2 Grand Tonics, 2 Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, 5 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 3 Nostrums, Venom, 2 Smoke Bombs, Holy Bomb, Flash Bomb, Bedroll, 3 bones

Spirits
: Xut the Daemon (
Darkness
), Raiju the Raiju (
Lightning
), Ni the Shrubbery (
Wood
), Mark the Ice Cube Tray (
Ice
), Clay Golem (
Earth
), Battle Angel (
Light
), unknown (
Fire
), unknown (
Wind
)

ava-nerwen.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

261 year old female elven Cleric

Level 13½
*Immune to
Wind

Power:
(13+6)

Defense:

Health:
24/24
(9+12+3)

Ether:
16/17
(5+12)

Gold:

Equipment:
Staff (WP:6,
wood
-elemental), White Cloak (+3 Max health; backwear), Winged Circlet (SP:2, Immune to
Wind
; headwear)

Inventory:
Hammer (WP: 6), Leather Cap (SP:1, headwear), 2 Potions, 3 Elixirs, 4 Remedies, Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, Venom, 2 Ice Bombs, Shovel, Bedroll, Bone

HeroicaRaven-1.png

Raven Ashcroft (Raven Brickroft)

18 years old male human Rogue

Level 2

Power:
(2+6)

Health:
8/8
(7+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Hollow Dagger (WP: 6, hollow)

Inventory:
Main Gauche (WP: 3), Wrench (WP:3, target’s level -1, throwing weapon), Potion, Water Bomb, Lightning Bomb, Venom, Deadly Venom

headressnaga.jpg

Sarick Lanse (Xarrzan)

27 years old male naga Mage

Level 13
*Hastened*
*Nostrum*

Power:
(13+6+1)

Defense:

Health:
18/18
(5+12+1)

Ether:
1/18
(5+12+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Dragon's Wrath (WP:6), Gaudy Cloak (Max. Health +1, Max. Ether +1; bodywear)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5, healing effect), Dragon's Heart (WP: 15,
wind
- and
fire
-elemental, longsword), Opal (
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Tonic, Nostrum, Venom, Water Bomb, Lightning Bomb, Bomb XX, Bedroll, Bone, Mythril Shard (1/4 of a Mythril)

Thalion Dwinlas (-obelix-)

213 years old male elf Mage

Level 4

Power:
(4+5)

Health:
8/8
(5+3)

Ether:
8/8
(5+3)

Gold:

Equipment:
Torch Staff (WP:5,
fire
-elemental; staff)

Inventory:
Dagger (WP:3), Ruby (
Fire
), 2 Potions, Fire Bomb, Bedroll

ava-thothwick2.jpg

Thothwick (Professor Flitwick)

44 years old Metasimian Black Knight

Level 19½
*Damage Undead*
*Immune to Stunned*

Power
: 29
(19+10)
(27 for ranged attacks
(19+8)
)

Defence
: 4

Health
: 34/34
(7+18+9)

Gold
: 287

Equipment
: Sabre (WP:10), Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do damage to undead), Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect)

Inventory
: Shuriken (WP:8), Bedroll, Telescope, Dragon Scale

harkenshire_sig.jpg

William Harkenshire (VolcanicPanik)

Unknown years old male human Ranger

Level 15½
*Hastened*

Power:
(15+5)
(21 from the front row
(15+5+1)
)

Health:
20/20
(6+14)

Gold:

Equipment:
Repeating Crossbow (WP:5, unupgradeable;
fire
-elemental, permanent
hastened
), Amulet of the Elven Horse Rider (Power +1 on the front row, doubles movement)

Inventory:
Hand Cannon (WP: 5;
lightning
- and
wood
-elemental), Wave Sword (WP:11, inflicts cursed-effect), Croise Crossbow (WP:11), Lion Knight Shield (SP:4, unsuitable), Pauldrons (SP +2, suitable to knights, dragoons and skirmishers; accessory), Chimera Armor (+2 SP, +2 Health, unsuitable; bodywear), Sapphire (
Wind
), Remedy, Venom, Mead, Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb, Water Bomb, Elven Bomb, Bomb XX, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Shovel, Pickaxe, Skeleton Decoy

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

Sküld (NPC, controlled by Quarryman)

7 years old female nôrn Altar Girl

Level 6

Power:
(6+2)

Health:
7/7
(2+5)

Ether:
1/15
(10+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Silk Fan (WP:2,
wind
-elemental, fan)

Inventory:
Scroll of Sealing, Grand Tonic

IC: De'kra dipped his head in thanks to the Orcs, before going down the path. The Orc had given him something to think about, even though the houses must be overthrown, could truly anything good be born if Wolfgang led them? The status quo couldn't continue, but perhaps he shouldn't be too eager to ignore the gangs' danger.

As he reached the gold, the echo glanced over the objects, before turning away. It was just all that useless metal. Still, odd that such a vast cave existed here, just how big was Eubric's underground? And more importantly, how stable was it?

"I wouldn't recommend grabbing any of the gold. It could be a trap." Benji said warily.

"I wouldn't recommend grabbing any of the gold. It could be a trap." Benji said warily.

Thalion looked around and was stunned. Hearing Benji's words he snapped out of daze. "Agreed! Or it could make its owner very displeased with us..." Thalion replied looking around the cavern nervously, as he has never seen a real dragon before, but only read about them in books.

The gold was tempting, but Hybros held back his urge to grab as much as he could carry. He knew this had to be the dragon's hoard, and that the beast within this cave would protect it, just like the one in the quarry. He looked around for a dragon.

"Bloody... I don't think even Guffington possesses this much wealth. Hmm, too bad there's a dragon attached to this, you sure the dragon was classified as 'friendly'?"

"Heheh. And all the wealth in the world could not buy him happiness." Hybros said to Guts. "I wonder if this dragon is truly happy."

The gold was tempting, but Hybros held back his urge to grab as much as he could carry. He knew this had to be the dragon's hoard, and that the beast within this cave would protect it, just like the one in the quarry. He looked around for a dragon.

The imp's keen eyes spotted two gleaming dots high up against the ceiling of the cave, staring down at the party. The dragon was hiding in the shadows.

"Maybe we should convince it it's not, you know, to make it parts with it's treasures."

"I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT THAT, WERE I YOU", echoed a breathy, deep voice around the cave. "THE OWNER OF THAT GOLD WOULD GET SSSIZZZLING MAD..."

The heroes looked around, hands at their weapons, but the dragon did not show herself. She just observed the intruders.