• 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

[pid][/pid]

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

14.jpg

6259titre.png

Introduction

Welcome to my fourth review on Eurobricks! On my way to review every old Pirates set that I buy new (full story on my 6247 - Bounty Boat review), I've chosen another bluecoats set this time, the smallest one from the second wave that saw the daylight in 1991. Among the four Bluecoats bases (the three others being 6265 Sabre Island, 6276 Eldorado Fortress and 6267 Lagoon Lock-Up), this is the smallest one, so how does it compare? Let's have a look.

Product Details

Set No: 6259

Set Name: Broadside's Brig (USA) - Governor Broadside's Prison (UK) - La prison des soldats (France) - Gefangnis (Germany) - Gevangenenpoort (Netherlands)

Theme: Pirates

Released: 1989-1993

Minifigures: 3

Pieces: 68

RRP: $8,75

Purchase Price: $31 new on eBay (still in sealed bags but box opened and in poor condition)

~Box~

Front

01.jpg

As you can see, the box has seen better days. It's the purple version from 1992 or 1993 (in 1991 it was sold in a yellow box). As always the picture is very nice (I know I say that in every review, but hey, could you only find one ugly Pirates box?). This sure is a tiny island, but it looks like a peaceful place now that the evil pirate is in jail. However the two soldiers still have a weapon at hand, rumor has it that a pirate is still sailing nearby waters with a ship almost twice as long as the Caribbean Clipper...

Back

02.jpg

As usual with those old boxes, we have thee nice alternate models, which will be covered in the next chapter. There also are two close-up of the pirate. I really love the hand drawn background.

Side

03.jpg

An alternate setup of the main model.

~Alternate models~

Alternate model 1

05.jpg

A guarded entry attacked by a pirate.

Alternate model 2

06.jpg

A small fort with a prison. It looks great.

Alternate model 3

07.jpg

A nice tower.

The three models are really different and look actually quite good, without two many holes or weird designs we often see in alternate models. In my opinion they all could fit in a pirates diorama alongside the mighty Eldorado Fortress. TLG did very good work here.

~Box opening~

Yo-ho-ho! Every remaining MISB Broadside's Brig now has gone up in value! :jollyroger:

Inside the box

11.jpg

One loose light gray plate and yellow jail door, with two bags. Since the box was opened, I didn't get any flyers.

Instructions

08.jpg

09.jpg

A single two-faces A4 sheet, with only ten steps. There aren't too many bricks added each step, so the build is really easy. The tricorne hat is pictured smaller than usual, but it's still too big. Keep trying, Lego, you're getting closer :pir-tongue: !

~Parts and minifigure~

Part layout

10.jpg

Your classical yellow and white Bluecoats scheme. We get a nice selection of parts, which explains why alternate models can be this good. Parts of interest are the white brick 1x3x5 which I never saw before and the yellow corner with red bricks pattern. It's nice to get two muskets since they are the rarest pirate weapon though.

Minifigures

12.jpg

Two bluecoats and a pirate. Nothing unusual here, but I think it would have been better to have two soldiers instead of another officer. Notice the gold printing on the soldier's torso, which is misaligned. The officer's one is perfect, but hey, that's why he's an officer after all!

~The build~

After step 4

13.jpg

The whole plate is filled. The four antennas make nice prison bars.

~The finished model~

Front

14.jpg

When completed, it really looks like a small fort, with merlons all over the top. The jail is similar to the one in Lagoon Lock-Up. In my opinion it only lacks a ladder, as with every other Bluecoat bases, thinking of it. However the ladder piece (id 6020) appeared in 1992, bad timing sadly.

Back

15.jpg

Hey! Isn't the pirate trying to escape? Not all sets look nice from behind, this is not the case here.

~Final thoughts~

Design: 8/10 - Quite good for a small set, but nothing mind-blowing. In my opinion, it looks best standing near Eldorado Fortress or Lagoon Lock-Up than as a standalone. However, if you buy three or four and add its alternate models, it can turn into a fantastic fortress for a very cheap price.

Parts: 7/10 - Good parts for building forts, but nothing unusual.

Minifigs: 8/10 - It's always nice to get bluecoats (especially for the small price back then), but the pirate if really generic. At least we don't have another redbeard.

Build: 6/10 - Nothing interesting here, pretty straightforward.

Playability: 10/10 - Two soldiers, a pirate, a jail, lots of weapons. For such a small set, it's perfect.

Alternate models: 10/10 - They are all different, and they look fantastic. As I said below, it's worth buying four boxes to build all models and display them together.

Price: 10/10 - It's difficult to rate the price back then, seeing how much it costs today. But $8,75 for a fort, weapons, parrot and three minifigures was a fantastic deal. Nowadays, it can be found for about $15, which is still fair, and a cheap way to get bluecoats.

Conclusion: 8/10 - Overall it's a really great set, which only lacks a "wow" factor like Lagoon Lock-Up. However no pirates fan can go wrong buying it.

Edited by Boomchil

Your review has caused me to find one on ebay and it's on it's way.

Another great review! I love all the close ups of the alternate builds on the box.

It's great to see such an old set opened and reviewed as if new. Granted it technically is new.

Nice work!

Great review!

This is one of the few sets that I had as a kid - I remember buying it with my own money to complement Forbidden Island, although I was always disappointed that I couldn't get Eldorado Fortress to balance the fight. Although, thinking about it, I reckon Eldorado Fortress would've dwarfed Forbidden Island.

Looking at the alternative builds, I think you could build a pretty cool fort if you bought multiples of this set.

Had this as a kid, a good little set that added to my lagoon lock up and for at the time nicely, have just dug these out and are now sitting on my sons shelf for him to use and he likes it. Wish I had not sold my old elderado fortress now on ebay to add it all together again.

A very good review of an old set, lots of detail and pics.

Great review! Love the alternate models...something I miss with modern sets. This set is a good example of the best features of Classic Pirates - bright colors, a very tropical feel, useable parts for customized forts and bases, and all for under $10. Can't go wrong with multiples either.

Awesome review Boomchil, as always. :thumbup:

BTW how do make your pictures look like this? They do have a very proffesional aproach... :sweet: What kind of equipment do you use?

I agree about these alternate models. They did a very good job making them so nicely out of so few elements...

This sure is a tiny island, but it looks like a peaceful place now that the evil pirate is in jail. However the two soldiers still have a weapon at hand, rumor has it that a pirate is still sailing nearby waters with a ship almost twice as long as the Caribbean Clipper...

Aaaah!... omg omg omg... It's not a rumor, it's not a legend it's real! Quick, look behind you people, before it's gonna be too late!

pirateprison.png

Two bluecoats and a pirate. Nothing unusual here, but I think it would have been better to have two soldiers instead of another officer.

For a building factor yes, but artistically this would be wrong. Two "shakos" per such a small set would be too much. On the other hand they could replace the governor with a simple marine :sweet: I'd love to see a set with both types of soldiers... :wub: Sad that they were featured only in Carribean Clipper...

Design: 8/10 - Quite good for a small set, but nothing mind-blowing. In my opinion, it looks best standing near Eldorado Fortress or Lagoon Lock-Up than as a standalone. However, if you buy three or four and add its alternate models, it can turn into a fantastic fortress for a very cheap price.
Alternate models: 10/10 - They are all different, and they look fantastic. As I said below, it's worth buying four boxes to build all models and display them together.

Yes and no. Antenas would obviously make a nice palisade... but on the other hand you would have plenty (!) of prison doors! :laugh: .... and plenty of parrots too :wink:

Anyway... who said that there is something wrong with having even 10 of these :wink:

I wish they could make these smaller sets turned into a really good looking fortress if attached together. Something like Constructicons in Transformers - buy 5-10 small sets to have a big one! Would make a great promotional effect :sweet:

I think this was the case with some of the sets from Knights, right?

Edited by Mazin

Awesome review Boomchil, as always. :thumbup:

BTW how do make your pictures look like this? They do have a very proffesional aproach... :sweet: What kind of equipment do you use?

Well, thank you, but I don't think my pictures are that nice. There is still too much noise, I'm only satisfied with the minifigures pictures. They were all taken at work with a small compact Panasonic Lumix TZ7, which is rather good at shooting close models. After that I rework them all in Photoshop, to increase brightness, contrast, add black borders...

Exactly this one or with yellow box?

As much as I'd like to have this one I think that yellow box is a classic. Maybe it's just a tiny little difference but it works better for me :sweet:

Even though this is a rather simple build its a nice set. Lots of good minifigures though :pir-classic:

Edited by Ratshot

Your review has caused me to find one on ebay and it's on it's way.

Similar situation here. Thank you for a great review Boomchil!

This review brought back child memories. My parents bought me this when I was 3 or 4. It was quite expensive in Eastern Europe at the time (early 90s). I always built various structures and thus lost many parts. I retain about 2/3 of this set from what I can see. Many parts are chewed up as well :blush: . I have the odd parts, however: the door, the parrot, the corner and the base. The rest seems easily replaceable. Looking forward to build this one again to bring back child memories.

Edited by bgalakazam

What a fun little trip down memory lane. A great review. I remember building this set when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing!

Very professional review!

When I was a child I didn't like it very much, but while the time was passing I started to want t obuy it...but I wasn't able to find one set...it was too lete!

Paolino

Great review! I think this was actually my very first set, so it holds a special place in my heart :wub:

Ah, I remember the uniform on those soldiers. Used to have a pirate ship and imperial ship from that era. Good times. Loved the Castle series from that era as well. Don't know where all the sets went now. :(

I actually left this set at a Super 8 Motel in Eastern Canada when I was 5 years old. They held onto it for 8 months until my family was in the area again and able to pick it up. Classic set!