nebraska

Minifig Scale Type IXc U-Boat - U-505 - WIP

I'm almost done with my minifig scale Type IXc U-Boat and thought I'd share. It's modeled after the U-505 which is on display at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. I have a type VIIc U-Boat in drydock. I always wanted to power up a U-boat and have some working functions and it wasn't possible with my type VIIc as it was a cutaway with full interior. So I decided to built one modeled after the U-505. It will be fully enclosed. I learned much from building the other submarine and also some new techniques with the Schnellboot. My U-505 has a much better looking stern and accurate bow along with increasing some weak points that I discovered in the other boats.

The type IX's were large ocean going U-Boat's and were roughly 35' longer than a type VII. The most noticable difference besides the length is some sexy conning towers and the lack of obvious saddle tanks. My boat will have 5 functions; all controlled by touch sensors from a detachable control panel.

1) Moving propellers

2) Moving Stern Dive Planes

3) Moving Bow Dive Planes

4) Opening/Closing Bow Torpedo Doors

5) Raising/Lowering Attack Periscope.

7860034792_7bc957a664.jpg

7860028598_87c76d3331.jpg

7860022772_7afb9123a7.jpg

7859983224_75cd398995.jpg

I have two videos on my flickr account (I can't get them to embed) of the stern dive planes and periscope.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51492892@N02/

Edited by nebraska

quite the feat! It looks most impressive and your hull technique is brilliant.

Cant wait to see "phase two"

Wow! That's amazing work there. I'm a bit of a military hardware geek but I must admit that submarines don't usually do much for me - they're often black tubes that aren't very interesting to look at (and probably wouldn't be much fun to build models of either). It's a different story with the old 'uns though; as you say, this particular sub has a very cool conning tower and the moving parts you've incorporated into the model are the icing on the cake.

The SNOT technique on the sides and the use of smooth tiles on the deck make all the difference I think. Very sleek and menacing!