LEGO Historian

Early LEGO in Norway, Sweden, Finland

I've posted this elsewhere on Eurobricks, but it bears repeating... my LEGO DVD/download chapter on printed and painted LEGO bricks... on Youblisher (for some reason Youblisher is not always online... if you can't get it... try again the next day!).... lots of interesting printed bricks in colors people have never even seen! :wink:

http://www.youblisher.com/p/603214-LEGO-DVD-Download-Chapter-48-LEGO-Printed-and-Painted-Parts-Stickers/

Heres another Swedish item, that I have only ever seen this one example of... a 1956 (early) era Swedish Town Plan board made of Masonite. Normally these boards have white borders around each block, but for some unknown reason those of Sweden in the mid 1950s came with a yellow border. These are very rare....

8678328851_2b8dc595a0_b_d.jpg

The Masonite Town Plan boards of Norway, Denmark, (later) Sweden and Finland (1959 only) looked different than those early ones of Sweden...

9782050914_055ac586fd_b_d.jpg

From Chapter 3 - Town Plan Sets & Boards... of my LEGO DVD/download...

Gary Istok

Edited by LEGO Historian

One very interesting variation of this early 1955-1960 Town Plan board, was the development of a prototype LEGO Zoo... that was going to use this board. The LEGO Zoo and Farm Animal sets were introduced in 1954 (not part of the LEGO System of Play). In 1957-58 the hard Masonite Town Plan board as seen above was used as the framework for a LEGO zoo set that was developed those 2 years... but for whatever mysterious reason, was never put into production.

All that is left of these interesting sets is the prototype models found in the LEGO Archives. In my LEGO DVD/download Chapter 18, I talk about these very interesting prototype sets (it's in German, but you'll understand the gist of it)....

http://www.1000stein...291703#id291703

Gary Istok

Edited by LEGO Historian

I noticed that there are a lot of Scandinavian folks on this forum... so I thought I would talk about some of the odd things that went on there in the early years of LEGO....

http://www.volvoclub..._on_right.shtml

And I noticed the volvo link at the end of your post :classic:

I've noticed some peculiar and almost mysterious similarities between the companies

Both are Scandinavian

Both have the same core values - Quality and Safety (with the addition of Environment in recent years)

Both make vehicles, although in different scale

Both have latin names - Volvo = I roll, LEGO = I put together

Both were started (with current names) around the 1930's

The headquarters of Volvo Trucks, and where Volvo was founded is in Lundby - the same place where the first LEGO distributor in Sweden were located

Both companies in recent years became the worlds largest manufacturers in their fields (trucks and toys)

Both company names ends with an o

The CEO of LEGO drives a Volvo

need I go on :laugh:

lolegoTS.JPG

And the first LEGO Sales Agent in Sweden (in Lundby) was named Axel (Thomsen)...

And all the VOLVO cars and trucks have.... Axles!!!! :look:

A coincidence??? I think NOT!! :wink:

The first year for true LEGO sales in Sweden was 1955. This 1955 Göteborg Sweden department store LEGO Mursten display shows the very first sets sold in Sweden... the 700/1 thru 700/6 basic sets (behind the young man and woman)... and the extremely rare 1300 (small) and 1301 (large) Mosaik sets (far left)....

8506002014_58a4d0fd24_b_d.jpg

Those Mosaik sets are so rare, that there are only 2 known of the 1300 small basic sets, and none known of the large 1301 sets. Why so rare? Because very few of these sets were likely ever sold, and most unsold ones may have gone back to TLG...

These Mosaik sets are so rare that even TLG didn't have one. They had to buy one at auction just to have it in their LEGO Collections in Billund. Here is their copy... (from my LEGO DVD/download)...

8495742582_9b40a6a338_b_d.jpg

The other known example is in a Dutch collection. The Mosaik sets were only produced in 1955 (and sold in 1955 in Denmark, and 1955-56 in Norway and Sweden). As I mentioned, no 1301 set has ever been found, and if one were to show up at auction... it could go into the thousands of Euros! :look:

Edited by LEGO Historian

The 307/1307 LEGO VW Showroom set came out in a few different country box top languages.

Since Denmark and Norway both use the same spelling... the "VW SALG" box top would be the same. Just finally saw one for the first time in this variation just yesterday.... in this 1957-58 #1307 box...

9919891033_3d466a85fe_b_d.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

The 1307 VW Showroom set instructions for Denmark/Norway....

10113188825_6730e2f81b_b_d.jpg

The 1307 VW Showroom set instructions for Sweden....

10113170545_072f5536fc_b_d.jpg

These instructions (inside of the box top) match the printed brick on the box top. There is a 1307 also for Germany... with VW VERKAUF.

I just got these instructions today from my German collector friend Lothar. Here we see the unique Showroom window box. These are found in the 307/1307 VW Showroom sets and also the 261 VW Showroom parts pack. These are always made of Cellulose Acetate, and are notorious for always warping... and becoming almost unusable in a build.

The 1307 set was introduced in 1957 in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Germany. By 1958 TLG decided it was a bad idea to have individual boxes for each country/language... so they switched over to the 307 box (same box top design)... with a simple "VW LEGO" showing on the box top building artwork... with the printed bricks of the particular country being in the local language inside the box... or (in the case of multi-lingual Belgium and Switzlerland) using the universal "VW VW VW" brick! :wink:

Edited by LEGO Historian

This image (from my Dutch LEGO collector friend Jeroen) shows 3 of the 261 spare parts sets for the 307/1307 VW Showroom Set. This consists of a 4x8 waffle bottom plate, a 1x8 VW printed brick (in the local language), a (260) 1:87 VW Beetle, and the (usually warped Cellulose Acetate) 3x8x3 Showroom window "box".

10118724724_7daa581938_b_d.jpg

The #261 Spare Parts Set for Germany...

10130656783_b14d448bbc_o_d.jpg

This spare parts set was first introduced in November 1957 as #1261 in Denmark, Norway and Sweden, and #261 elsewhere. However... the banderole paper band around the 4 LEGO parts... which tells us in the local language what this is.. never mentions a 261/1261 number on the band. So there is no way to ever distinguish a 261 from a 1261 pack!! :sceptic:

The 261 in the foreground is in Dutch, and has a 1x8 "VW DEALER" printed brick. The two 261 sets in the background are in Danish, and have 1x8 "VW SALG VW" printed bricks. This same brick was sold in Norwegian 261/1261 sets.

The 260 1:87 VW Beetle car can come in one of over 25 different colors/shades in the 261 set (ditto for the 2 car models found in the 307/1307 set).

Edited by LEGO Historian

The 307/1307 set and 261 parts pack printed brick...

10130219344_648ee2ed82_b_d.jpg

VW SALG VW was Denmark/Norway

VW FORSALJNING was Sweden

VW VERKAUF was Germany/Austria

VW DEALER was Netherlands/UK/Ireland/Australia

VW VW VW was for Belgium/Switzerland

So far I've been showing the model set boxes from the 1950s (except for the 261 parts pack, which dates to 1957-62). In 1960 all the box designs were remodeled using a box top photograph, instead of the artwork images.

Here is the 1960-64 307 Showroom Set, which continues the tradition of showing "LEGO" on the box top (although the VW is now missing)... but the printed brick inside still continues the tradition of using the local language name. In this instance it is in German, so this box is from either Germany or Austria...

8501031920_bcabaf23a1_b_d.jpg

(Image from my Belgian LEGO collector friend Rohnny).

The 307 set was discontinued in the early 1960s. In some countries it was discontinued by 1963, in others by 1965.

The 307/1307 sets were never sold in USA or Canada.

Here's a Belgian 261 Spare Parts Set taken apart. Since Belgium is bilingual Flemish/French... the printed brick only has the VW emblem on it....

8506983228_d9d16a44da_b_d.jpg

(Image from Looris of Switzerland)

Here's a closeup of the brochure that came with this small pack. This is a Dutch (left) and Danish (right) example...

10145455633_c7ebe35409_b_d.jpg

(Image belongs to Jeroen of Netherlands.)

Edited by LEGO Historian

Here's a Belgian 261 Spare Parts Set taken apart. Since Belgium is bilingual Flemish/French...

The text is in Dutch, not in Flemish. Dutch is one of the official languages of Belgium. Flemish is a dialect of Dutch, just like Hollandic or Brabantian.

The text is in Dutch, not in Flemish. Dutch is one of the official languages of Belgium. Flemish is a dialect of Dutch, just like Hollandic or Brabantian.

Well Alois, I have to differentiate between the Belgian Dutch (Flemish) and Netherlands Dutch dialects that TLG themselves have given to some of their products... in both versions.

The 1959-61 Cellidor (Cellulose Acetate) brochure that TLG released in 10 languages on 1 leaflet... shows both Belgium Dutch and Netherlands Dutch versions (not sure which is which?)...

10163547925_5fa163f13f_b_d.jpg

And the 238 Idea Booklet (1960-63 for the early version)... comes in a Dutch version for the Netherlands... and a Flemish Dutch version for Belgium (as well as French version for Belgium). Here is 1 page of that Idea Booklet...

Belgium version...

10163630276_10d20319f9_b_d.jpg

Netherlands version....

10163692273_ea02856662_b_d.jpg

So TLG forces me to differentiate between the Dutch Dutch... and the Belgian Dutch (Flemish).... :wink:

Images from my LEGO DVD download.

Edited by LEGO Historian

And here's a 5 piece 1958 Belgian 235 Garage Pack (with garage baseplate, garage door, 2 counterweights and doorframe)... as a bilingual set with different languages on front and back...

The (Walloon) French side...

7277925994_e8ecd14107_b_d.jpg

The (Flemish) Dutch side...

7277922898_85198860c5_b_d.jpg

The 1959-61 Cellidor (Cellulose Acetate) brochure that TLG released in 10 languages on 1 leaflet... shows both Belgium Dutch and Netherlands Dutch versions (not sure which is which?)...

I guess the version on the left is "Netherlands" Dutch and the version on the right is "Flemish". This is entirely based on choice of words, but I'm not too familiar with language use in the 1950s and 1960s. :grin:

I understand you want to differentiate between the two countries, but the language is the same. I cannot tell the difference between the two versions, and I'm a native speaker. Both versions are in the Dutch language, neither is in a dialect form, be it Hollandic or Flemish. The proper way to distinguish is to say "Belgian Dutch language version" and "Dutch version"

. Calling these texts 'Flemish' is like calling texts written by an American 'Califonian' (even if the writer isn't from California at all).

Edited by alois

I understand you want to differentiate between the two countries, but the language is the same. I cannot tell the difference between the two versions, and I'm a native speaker. Both versions are in the Dutch language, neither is in a dialect form, be it Hollandic or Flemish. The proper way to distinguish is to say "Belgian Dutch language version" and "Dutch version"

. Calling these texts 'Flemish' is like calling texts written by an American 'Califonian' (even if the writer isn't from California at all).

Well the Californian analogy is not quite accurate, since no one uses that. However the use of "FLEMISH" is commonly used in English speaking countries as seen here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium

http://www.thefreedi...ary.com/Flemish

As someone born in Germany, and who can speak 3 dialects of German (High German, Franconian and Swabian)... I know exactly about the different dialects that are found in many European languages... the difference between the German spoken in Austria and Switzerland is quite different from that of the many dialects spoken in Germany... and likely even a greater difference than the difference between the Dutch spoken in different parts of the Netherlands and that of Flanders.

But outside of the Netherlands and Belgium... the Dutch language dialect spoken in Flanders... is known as "Flemish"... to describe it as a dialect spoken in Flanders, whose written form is identical to Dutch, and whose spoken form is very nearly identical. I have no quarrel with that. I just am using the nomenclature that has been used for decades (or centuries) by English speakers everywhere.

Edited by LEGO Historian

Alois... a bigger problem in the past has not been the language naming for Dutch speaking Belgians... but the name for the Netherlands... even TLG was using the incorrect nomenclature for this.... HOLLAND.... :look:

8184553813_722036a27c_b_d.jpg

This was the 4 sides of LEGO boxes of 1957-61.

The name "Holland" of course only covers the name of 2 provinces of the Netherlands (North and South Holland)... while ignoring the other 10 provinces.

Well earlier in this thread I showed some Norwegian blue 1x1 alphabet bricks with gold lettering from a 1957-58 #1234 Alphabet Bricks parts Pack...

Well just 2 days ago... another amazing Norwegian discovery came to light.... (thanks to my German LEGO collector friend Lothar, who collects old Norwegian LEGO).... RED Norwegian alphabet bricks in a #1234 parts!!!! :grin:

10183627573_0e87304612_b_d.jpg

Before this goes to my DVD/download... I have to do my customary photoshopping to iliminate "blemishes"... sad to see so many old LEGO items have been written on!! :sceptic:

This is why my 3000 page Collectors Guide is a DVD/download only... to keep adding new discovered old rare items... and ship out a new version of the guide for free to current owners!! :classic:

Now I have to contact my friends at the TLG Archives and Collections in Billund. This gives them something else to add to their Norway/Sweden collections records... which are sparse for the 1950s.

I'm still anticipating the finding of LEGO classic windows/doors from Norway... in light blue and pink!!

Cheers,

Gary Istok

Edited by LEGO Historian

Of all the LEGO model sets ever made... none were simpler and yet more complex than the 236/1236 LEGO garage set. First of all Town Plan model sets... it was introduced in Denmark, Norway and Sweden in 1955 in a (loose parts) rectangular box.

In 1958 it came out in a flat box set that had all the parts held in place by inserts. This flat box version also contained a 1:87 type VW Bus. The difference in price between the flat box and rectangular box set is astonishing. The loose part rectangular box version was never worth more than $200, mayble $300 for an early box. But the flat box sets are so highly coveted that they can command up to $1000 each. The flat box inserts and 1:87 VW Bus contribute to this increased valuation.

Here are the loose box versions.... (and this gets very complicated)...

1) Denmark, Norway Sweden (1955-58) as set 1236.

2) Germany, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland (1956-58) as set 236.

3) Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Sweden (1958-60) as set 236.

4) Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Sweden (1960-67) as set 236.

5) Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Finland, Austria, Switzerland, France (1968-70) as set 236.

10214558786_d629ca13dc_b_d.jpg

And the flat box versions with the 1:87 VW Bus...

1) Denmark, Norway as set 1236 (1958-59). Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Portugal as set 236 (1958-59).

2) Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Portugal, Finland (1959-60).

3) Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Portugal, Finland, Britain, Ireland (1960-65) and Australia (1962-65).

10214463394_d50621abf1_b_d.jpg

After the 236 flat box sets were disconinued in 1965, all the flat box countries switched over to the rectangular box type, except for Britain, Ireland and Australia... where the 236 were discontinued.

The complexity of this set is not just the set number and the box type and design, but also the contents, which were not always the same type of bricks or windows/door.

Here is a complex writeup (from my DVD/download) of the 236/1236 sets... and some of the strange content changes...

(Use the lower left arrow to zoom in full screen)...

http://www.youblishe...Set-of-1955-70/

Edited by LEGO Historian

Well in posting many of images of Norwegian and Swedish LEGO items... I've sort of left out the VALUE of old non-TLG produced LEGO items. Some of these items have sold for quite a bit of money, even in used condition.

Many of the rare parts shown in this thread were part of this early 2013 Norwegian auction lot... selling for over $4000 dollars!!! :look:

8482369569_30b12b22d1_o_d.jpg

This lot included the Norwegian decal named beams, blue, yellow and red early classic windows, a set of very rare red based Norwegian road signs, rare red waffle bottom plates, and a large collection of early 1950s slotted bricks. But for $4000... it just shows the rarity and desirability of these old rare Norwegian parts! :classic:

Getting back to the VW Service Set. The earlier images were from sets of 1957-60. Here is a 1960-64 version that uses photography instead of artwork. In 1959 the inhouse LEGO Photography Department was established. This gave TLG an easy option of using photography for most all LEGO box images, starting in 1960. This particular image shows something I've never seen before....

4981635321_1fd1233c89_b_d.jpg

This particular 306 box was in pristine brand new condition... never been played with. Unlike the 700/x Basic Sets of this era (which had the parts held in place via plastic cellophane over the inner box), these model sets had no cellophane cover... but the parts were held in place by tissue paper. This would explain a scenario that I had found very often with these 306-310 model sets... namely the boxes were taped shut, and this would explain the tape marks (missing paper) on the side of the outer box.

This was a problem that I didn't find too often on the 700/x Basic Set boxes... where the shrink wrapped cellophane kept the parts in place inside...

5162180386_590a14b20e_o_d.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

Well my German LEGO collector friend Lothar (never met a Scandinavian LEGO product he didn't like :wink: ) finally found a Finnish printed beam for the local 306 set. The 307 (VW Showroom) brick says "VW MYYNTI", and the 306 VW Service set brick for Finland is now (today) finally confirmed as "VW HUOLTO". This corresponds to the Finnish printed brick for the Esso Service 310 set... which is "ESSO HUOLTO".

10285545984_0d56377159_o_d.jpg

With the much more common 309 Church Set bricks with "ANNO 1762" or "AD 1762" or "1762" going for over $50 each... I would imagine that these rarer Finnish bricks would sell for well over $100 each... especially when seeing that the Norwegian box of old parts went for $4000+.

The ESSO HUOLTO, VW HUOLTO and VW MYYNTI bricks all are very highly sought after (and rarely found)... ditto for Norwegian VW GARASJE bricks. The VW SALG (Sales) brick was used in both Norway and Denmark... and is MUCH more common.

Anyway... the VW HUOLTO brick is now the last missing brick from my LEGO DVD/download Chapter 48 - LEGO Printed and Painted Bricks. Portugal had no Portuguese printed bricks (using those of other countries instead).... although sooner or later I bet someone on EBAY will offer an Italian "TEATRO" brick as Portuguese (which technically it could be)! :look:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Well just 2 days ago... another amazing Norwegian discovery came to light... RED Norwegian alphabet bricks in a #1234 parts!!!! :grin:

10183627573_0e87304612_b_d.jpg

I sent a copy of these red Norwegian printed bricks to my LEGO contact at TLG Billund 3 days ago... to the manager at the LEGO Archive/Collections... and her response....

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Gary,

Thank you so much for sending me the red letter bricks. I have never seen them before. As you know I am thankful to know as much as possible about the old products. I really appreciate your information.

Have a nice day,

Kirsten

--------------------------------------------

So these LEGO printed bricks are unknown to the folks at TLG. Back in the 1950s LEGO Norway and LEGO Sweden were often independent of LEGO Denmark.... so some products that they produced were unknown to the folks back at the HQ in Denmark. I've been working with the folks in Denmark on getting their Archives more complete... and in the process they've been sharing with me some very rare LEGO items that are unknown (generally) to LEGO collectors worldwide.

There's still a lot of things still to be discovered in the big wide world of LEGO... and if it was produced... I'll find it!! :wink: (With the help of LEGO collectors worldwide!)

Cheers,

Gary Istok

Edited by LEGO Historian