Haltiamieli

Medieval Butcher Shop

teurastajantalo1.jpg

It's long since I've published any of my mocs here, partly because I haven't built much anything in a long time. But yesterday I got a little bit of inspiration and slightly updated a building I had done already a long time ago, redesigning some details and adding more interior.

As may be noticeable, the building is inspired by the Blacksmith house from the Medieval Market Village and uses mostly parts from my second MMV. I also wanted to find a use for some of the windows from The Burrow set. I'm not completely sure if their style suits here, but I tend to like the little colour they bring to the whole.

The most significant difference for the MMV style is that this is my first test of modular building, that is the floors can be lifted though not rearranged. In the end I think I like (and am more comfortable building with) hinged style more, but it was worth it to test other style too.

So, this is a butcher shop and house of a guy named Mathan:

mathan.jpg

In the side of the building there's a small pen for the animals to wait for their fate. Judging by her cheery expression Mathan's wife Grethe doesn't have any remorse about that.

teurastajantalo2.jpg

If the facade isn't overly decorated, the backside of the house is even more ascetic. Some new "brick bricks" might be used to break up the dull walls a bit, but I don't have any yet. And anyway I tend to like more simplistic designs than many other AFOLs, so it doesn't bother me that much.

teurastajantalo3.jpg

Upstairs is the family's living quarters, and apparently one kid has found his way into the picture too. There is a small attic, used to store some barrels etc, in the roof part, but I forgot to take a picture of it when the batteries of my camera started to imply that they were going to die soon.

teurastajantalo4.jpg

Downstairs is the slaughterhouse. It is probably not wise to locate a fireplace in a room were meat is handled, but maybe poor Mathan just doesn't know much about things like that? Truth be told, I built both fireplaces when I originally designed the house, before I decided that it would belong to a butcher, and now I didn't have the heart to dismantle the fireplace.

teurastajantalo5.jpg

Another view from the downstairs. Mathan's friend Columbus just arrived from a long journey and brought him some huge turkeys for souvenirs. :tongue:

teurastajantalo6.jpg

Excellent work! I like your figs and the interior is very nice :thumbup:

Any reason you didn't use this for a Mitgardian free build?

Any reason you didn't use this for a Mitgardian free build?

Hmm, no reason really. I could have, now that you mention it. I just didn't come to think about that, with this having nothing to do with my previous few Mitgardia builds that centered on the Great Elk Clan. But I suppose the house and its inhabitants could fit well enough in Valholl or some other Mitgardian town. Well, it's a bit late now. :look:

Nice work,but... I think you might reconsider the sign if you display it at an event not to shock kids ;)

Really like the way you did the interior of the butcher place.

Overall its a nice moc aswell, can't help imagining that sign-pig being aline tho.

Hmm, no reason really. I could have, now that you mention it. I just didn't come to think about that, with this having nothing to do with my previous few Mitgardia builds that centered on the Great Elk Clan. But I suppose the house and its inhabitants could fit well enough in Valholl or some other Mitgardian town. Well, it's a bit late now. :look:

Well your next build could be one for Mitgardia again, because this is really a great build. :wink: The knife and turkey holders are well thought of as is the pig sign! Also the ornamentations at the windows are well done. :thumbup:

AWESOME structure and interiors......wonderful work 'Haltiamieli'....yes, this would fit the MMV perfectly ! :sweet:

Brick On 'Haltiamieli' ! :classic:

I really like this shop default_wubnew.gif

Nice work,but... I think you might reconsider the sign if you display it at an event not to shock kids ;)

Sorry for going OT and OTT here, but you've touched a bit of a nerve there. Why should it shock kids? If kids don't know that mean comes from animals, and people don't want them to know, it is a sad world we live in. I know many children thought bacon comes from sheep, and some think that meat is made in a factory.If they don't know that pork comes from a pig, then they deserve to be shocked. I like the fact that things like this are so crude, and I wish we could go back to basics in the world, to an age when everyone kept their own animals and killed them themselves.

(I'm a vegetarian)

Sorry again for going way off topic.

Very nice looking butchers, would slot in well to medieval villages :classic:

Great work, I love the pig on the sign! :laugh: You're minifig choice was great too - and all that meat! Wow!

A mighty fine medieval butcher shop but it could do with more meat!

There should be a couple of cows and a few chickens outside waiting to get the chop. :grin:

That poor pig hanging... :cry_sad:

Yeah, it's still alive...

This is awesome!! Now that the pictures have shown up!

I need to get building and just stop looking.

Great job!

Thanks again everybody, I didn't expect this many comments. :classic:

A mighty fine medieval butcher shop but it could do with more meat!

I agree, but frankly I don't own that much more meat. Some more turkey legs, but not a single sausage for example. Hopefully in the future the shop will have a better variety of offerings.

Great work. The pig sign is a stroke of genius. Let's people know what kind of shop it is. Back then, many shops used something to show what they sold as many people could not read, so the pig adds realism. I also agree tht a couple of animals "waiting in the wings" would be a nice touch.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D