WhiteFang

REVIEW: 8833 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8

On a scale of 1 to 5  

231 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 8?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Right now, what is the best released LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series so far?

4. 4. Are you 'still' looking forward to the new images of the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 9?

• Yes, I can't wait to see the new official designs!
    • Maybe a little bit interested but not really that interested...
    • No, I am getting bored of this theme!

Randomly picked one off the shelf yesterday, and was really lucky to get the Diver.

Thanks for the review!

Congratulations on your 100th, WhiteFangs!

The review is amazing and I cannot wait to have all those minifigs on my shelf.

Great review as always Whitefang! I still feel this series is a bit sub-par with obvious repeats (two months ago I would've been okay with series 1 repeats, but now I own a set, I'm not a fan of them), but it's almost made up by the stand-out figure of the actor, he's brilliant.

Thanks for another magnificent review!

And it is nice to see another great variety of minifigures. I still have to decide which one I like best.

Thank you White fang for the very comprehensive and always amusing review.

My favourite for this series has always been the Diver, and today I found 4 untouched boxes and picked out 2 divers, 1 Conquistador, 1 Businessman and a Football Player for a friend (No need to panic buy anymore - Legoland Windsor has Series 5,6 + 7 still on the shelves and some local toystores still have series 3 and 4!)

One question - I found my Conquistador's Helmet to be very loose - how are the ones you have here? Do I have a boadly molded piece or is the mold 'Loose' for clutching power?

The diving helmet glass is fantastic, this is one of favourite CMF's ever. '20,000 Leagues under the Sea' Diorama's here we come!

Oh so many great figures in this series. I want the conquistador , shakespeare, the businessman Oh it wouldn't be great if he had a black umbrella. ...well all of them ...these collector figure series are so addictive but i really am annoyed how the price went up by 25% on the last series in Japan...hopefully the prices do not rise further!

Has anyone in the South West of England managed to get any of series 8 in an actual High Street shop or Supermarket? I have been around all the toy selling stores, WH Smith's and ASDA, Morrisons & Tesco's within a ten mile radius of where I live and not one has series 8? They all say they have ordered them but non have turned up yet?

Is there a shortage?

Thanks guys for your kind support.

She probably is. Rumor is AC series 2 was cancelled very late in the design / production cycle. So the designs and parts were probably all ready to go.

I think it is quite possible, but not entirely true. I can't recall seeing it anywhere in the illustrated art of AC2. I could be mistaken as well.

The Conquistador is an epic fail. Why gold helmet and armor, Why? In silver this would have been the army builder of Series 8. Failing that it could have had an awesome shirt print that would have been great to mix and match with the Thespian. The best part of the Series 3 Samurai was the shirt print for using him as a civilian or a soldier. No such luck with the Conquistador. :cry_sad: Well I'll still get one or two for a captain/general fig in the hope of getting a more generic solider in a future series.

Actually I was hoping that the Conquistador will have a printed torso, which might serve as a consolation. Still, it is still not as good as the S3 Samurai printing.

I was also initially disappointed about the over-the-top golden conquistador, but in the end, I guess its for the best. The CMFs arent really meant for hoarding or army building, which is what would happen if it was a more generic figure. As it is, there will be more conquistadors to go around.

I will think that this is the only series that contain significant army building minifigure that will be gone in a flash!

One question - I found my Conquistador's Helmet to be very loose - how are the ones you have here? Do I have a boadly molded piece or is the mold 'Loose' for clutching power?

The clutch seems alright and normal to me, I didn't notice it, but I don't recall it being loose.

Mine is loose as well. The minifig didn't fall when I grab it at the helmet, but almost.

Mine is loose as well. The minifig didn't fall when I grab it at the helmet, but almost.

That's weird. Just now, I went to take out and re-verify all of the 3 Conquistadors that is with me, and I don't find the helmet with the head loose? :look:

Another magnificent review, WhiteFang. Honestly, your reviews of these successive series of collectable minifigures are a superb resource, and I come back to them often so please keep 'em coming !

While I don't think that Series 8 is the best so far, it's still pretty good, and there's no sign of LEGO allowing the standard to drop. It must be a significant challenge to keep coming up with novel designs, but in the most part they seem to be managing it admirably. If you'd told me at the time of the Series 1 release that after 9 series (including the Team GB minifigs) I'd still be looking forward to seeing what LEGO would come up with next I admit I'd have been sceptical....

Thanks, again !

D.

Another great review! Thank you, WhiteFang.

Just a few random thoughts...

I don't think it's been mentioned but a natural pairing for a picture or vignette would be the conquistador from this series and the Aztec warrior from S7. Conquistadors are usually thought of in the context of Latin American exploration/conquest, hence their name.

Another natural pairing would be the S8 diver and the S7 ocean king.

While I agree that the S8 pirate captain isn't very exciting, by replacing his head with the skull that comes with the actor and replacing his yellow hand with a white one (from a spare Santa or skier), you can easily MOC an undead pirate.

My favourite for this series has always been the Diver, and today I found 4 untouched boxes and picked out 2 divers, 1 Conquistador, 1 Businessman and a Football Player for a friend (No need to panic buy anymore - Legoland Windsor has Series 5,6 + 7 still on the shelves and some local toystores still have series 3 and 4

THREE AND FOUR O_O WHERE???

Sadly my TRU ran out of 5 and 6 a month and a half ago...

~The_Creator

My boxes of minifigs arrived today from Amazon. Really looking forward to opening them!

Where on Amazon did you find a box of series 8? All I've managed to find are eBay "pre-sales" that don't look to be shipping for at least a month.

Where on Amazon did you find a box of series 8? All I've managed to find are eBay "pre-sales" that don't look to be shipping for at least a month.

I ordered mine from Amazon.fr. Said it was a pre-sale but shipped within a week.

This series was pretty good though not as good as previous which I think personally due to some characters being reused with new designs.

Thank you guys and it appears other parts of the world including Singapore have Series 8 in the stores. No rush for me to get it, since there is not much army building to be involved and I am actually very pleased about it. :sweet:

Another magnificent review, WhiteFang. Honestly, your reviews of these successive series of collectable minifigures are a superb resource, and I come back to them often so please keep 'em coming !

While I don't think that Series 8 is the best so far, it's still pretty good, and there's no sign of LEGO allowing the standard to drop. It must be a significant challenge to keep coming up with novel designs, but in the most part they seem to be managing it admirably. If you'd told me at the time of the Series 1 release that after 9 series (including the Team GB minifigs) I'd still be looking forward to seeing what LEGO would come up with next I admit I'd have been sceptical....

Thanks, again !

D.

Thank you drdavewatford. It's great and nice to hear your thoughts and I hope to continue this tradition too. Pleased to know you had enjoyed reading it.

Another great review! Thank you, WhiteFang.

Just a few random thoughts...

I don't think it's been mentioned but a natural pairing for a picture or vignette would be the conquistador from this series and the Aztec warrior from S7. Conquistadors are usually thought of in the context of Latin American exploration/conquest, hence their name.

Another natural pairing would be the S8 diver and the S7 ocean king.

While I agree that the S8 pirate captain isn't very exciting, by replacing his head with the skull that comes with the actor and replacing his yellow hand with a white one (from a spare Santa or skier), you can easily MOC an undead pirate.

Thank you AmperZand. Indeed, I agreed both inspired natural pairing on the S8 Conquistador and Diver with the respective co-existing CMFs. It seem there are actually lots of supporters for the S8 Pirate Captain. It is nice to hear many different diversified opinions.

This may have been asked and answered but does anyone know where the santa sack is on Bricklink? I cannot find it. thank you in advance!

This may have been asked and answered but does anyone know where the santa sack is on Bricklink? I cannot find it. thank you in advance!

Seems to me it's not in the catalogue yet. It isn't linked to Santa's entry and I didn't see it in the list of newest additions to the catalogue either. I'm sure it will be categorised as "Minifig, Utensil".

Thanks, I searched both of those areas to no avail earlier. I guess we will just have to wait.

I finally got a Santa! I love it. The pink didn't look as bad as I was expecting. And with Halloween coming up, the sack will be great for trick-or-treat vigs.

I also ended up with two DJs. You were right to rave about the shirt, but I was impressed by the pants! Dark denim with stitching and a belt. I think it's time to update my sig fig.

I'm as happy with Santa as I hoped to be, but this civilian figure with a new hairpiece, head, printed torso, printed pants(!), and TWO printed accessories just became this Town fan's favorite CMF.

Has anyone got either a pirate captain or a santa that doesn't suffer from the pinkish discolouration of the white parts?