Sign in to follow this  
Bobsy

[LDD MOC] Telosian Speeder

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This is born out of three goals. First, my neverending quest to put two seats in a 6-wide setting (failed again, this is 8-wide, and wider still with the engine blocks). Second, I honestly think Lego is missing a trick by not making enough speeders - they're smaller than ships, but just as swooshable (failed again, this is about as big as an A-Wing). Third, petty jealousy with the amount of quality designs Bob de Quatre is coming out with (failed in general. You don't want to know how awful the previous day's design was).

Anyway. It's a speeder. I actually began wanting to make it the Star Wars equivalent of a pick-up truck, with room for cargo at the back, but in the end it looked a lot sleeker and faster than I was anticipating. I call it Telosian because of the orange and white colourscheme sort of matching the Telos station in KOTOR 2. Except I think that was built by Ithorians. Well anyway. Speeder. Bam.

7862307304_b09850a977.jpg

Telosian Speeder by bobsy26, on Flickr

7862307150_36b1e862a0.jpg

7862306980_f1af25f55e.jpg

I like it. And your right TLG need to release some speeders. They are slacking in that department.

Take Cad Bane's Speeder for example. It's really good looking, has storage space, good minifigs... but the cost! We could almost buy our own ship for that! The key thing for speeders is for them to be smaller, more affordable than all the spaceships. It also helps define the progression of Star Wars minifig-scale vehicles using size, from speeder bike through regular speeder, fighter, shuttle, frieghter to small capital ship. They could have happily reduced Cad Bane's speeder in size by about 20% and made a really decent affordable set.

</grump>

I really like the design and color scheme of this pick-up speeder! Everthing seems to come together very nicely except for the rear end, which stands out in color and doesn't seem to flow with the design as well as the rest. I don't know if that was the intent? It almost looks like it was designed as a seperate piece that is supposed to be detacheable, but looking at the pictures i don't think it is.

On a seperate note, i must say i'm a big fan of how the 8-wide setting turned out! Even though the seating area is still 6-wide, the extra space around it just makes the vehicle appear less cramped. And in terms of size it still compares well to starfighters and other vehicles, so it works very nicely i think!

My compliments for another well designed speeder Bobsy! I'm already looking forward to seeing your next one! :thumbup:

REally nice speeder. :thumbup:

Maybe if the storage was higher, it'll look more like a pick-up?

Oh, I gave up on that idea pretty early on. The engines were the parts that made the design come together (that moment when it finally starts to really work) and with them it could only have the more sporty look.

I decided to finally render this in Povray while I was at work, and coming home just eight and a half hours after starting it going... it had only reached 51%. Thankfully, that 51% included the lion's share of the windscreen, so the rest actually rendered pretty quickly.

I made a couple of small changes. On recommendations, I switched the colours around on the cargo section so they're in line with the rest of the speeder. Then I put a crate in there. Because, you know, crate.

7938518080_958455925b.jpg

Looking good there Bobsy! I like the improvements you made, switching the colors on the cargo section definately makes it appear more an integral part of the speeder. And you can never go wrong with adding a random crate! :laugh: