Sign in to follow this  
SearchFunction

A new batch of 6w cars from me (and one truck)

indexed.gif V-LP-11C & V-LP-11D, V-LV-69F to V-LV-70F, V-LC-21B

Hey all. These models have been in the works for quite some time but I finally managed to finish most of them. I shall start right of the bat with the one that started it, the interceptor:

0billede-138.jpg

billede-146.jpg

billede-144.jpg

This one was inspired mostly by Er0ls policecar, but I wanted to try and see how low I could make it. Its surprisingly stable and has some nice features. I first built a regular looking version though as seen here:

0billede-164.jpg

billede-151.jpg

This sorta developed into various open 2 seater designs:

0billede-166.jpg

billede-179.jpg

0billede-186.jpg

billede-187.jpg

0billede-192.jpg

billede-196.jpg

A long time ago I made a 4 seater police car. It was a bit bulky, had no doors and the minifigs had trouble looking out through the windscreen. This is the new version (in the front):

billede-293.jpg

billede-276.jpg

billede-255.jpg

billede-274.jpg

billede-283.jpg

Its lower and shorter, has doors and a "real" windscreen in the back. Its based on a new design I came up with that allows for minifigs to wear wide hats in their cars. This also comes in a regular version:

0billede-382.jpg

billede-383.jpg

Not entiry happy with the rear on this one though, but maybe I will find a better one someday.

This next one is an update of an older model. I like the way it turned out:

0billede-302.jpg

billede-306.jpg

billede-307.jpg

billede-316.jpg

Due to its height, I was unable to use the "wide hat" design, but I am working on a model that has that as well. The camper in the last pic is not currently in the BS gallery. I made some changes to the design of it and will add it soon.

Next up is a pickuptruck design I liked so much I made 2 of them:

billede-240.jpg

billede-244.jpg

billede-227.jpg

And the one I used the most time on, a US version of 7998 (without a trailer though):

0billede-362.jpg

billede-364.jpg

billede-356.jpg

billede-351.jpg

It has many nice details I think, such as a TVscreen and coffee machine(stolen from someone else). Stole the sideview mirrors too from a car transporter. Exactly which one escapes me at the moment. I did use some custom chromed parts for the exaust but besides from that, its all LEGO standard parts.

There are lxf files of all models availible at brickshelf along with more pics if you want to steal something :laugh: . Its also easier to view details that way. Some of these models contain some trickery but this new batch is quite stable in that department.

These are great! The scale is too big for my setup, but a whole layout full of these would be really nice. I like how you've done several variations on a few themes. The truck and pickup are both very nice, but I think my favourite is the blue two-seater (that's a neat trick, using hinge plates as a grille). It reminds me of my old Fiat X1/9, it was just the same colour (but significantly less chunky, your looks more like a Porsche of some sort). Well done!

I love vehicles at this scale. :wub: I particularly like the multi-seaters, and the Pick-up Truck is gorgeous! Especially with the chassis slope. :thumbup:

And that truck cab... :wub_drool:

The blue cabrio - from the front at least - reminds me of a Lotus Esprit (like Roger Moore uses in The Spy Who Loved Me and another film ... For Your Eyes Only??)

That blue truck is absolutely amazing. :wub:

The rest of the vehicles are also awesome being able to sit multiple mini figures. I like the red sedan and pickup too. :thumbup::classic:

My goodness...one word for them all.....AWESOME !

All of a sudden we are seeing people bring out six wide vehicles that can seat two or more minifigs ! :wub:

Ah, realism....feels so good ! :laugh: (take note Lego City designers in Denmark :wink: )

'SearchFunction' first you hit us with the Mad Max inspired cop car.... :wub: and more wonderful cars.....then the pick up trucks :wub: plus prime mover :wub: ! (mind if I take inspiration from your work ? :sweet: )

Excellent designing....I'll be studying these designs for a while today :laugh: ......Brick On Drive On 'SearchFunction' ! :grin:

Crazy awesome vehicles my favorite has to be the truck :wub: I swear Lego has to take a look at all these MOCs so they van make some cars worth buying

Wow! A fantastic batch of cars, SearchFunction, very good-looking and packed with great solutions! I have taken a close look at them since this is very interesting in terms of what I am trying to do myself (and you have been a strong inspiration before, as you know). But let's face the details of some of them:

• Police Car - very good-looking car (and nice figs, too :wink:). I especially love the backend, looks very sporty. Thanks for the reference to my cop car (btw. they have the same height, apart from the signal lights on top). I can't see exactly how you did the baseplate, it seems that the figs are sitting on a 5w construction, the doors are sticking out a bit, so it's rather 7w in this area. Might be not too easy to handle this offset in terms of connecting the cockpit to the wheel section. Anyway a very spiffy design!
  • Blue Convertible - again a very neat and sporty design! I love the way you combined the windscreen and those doors, works surprisingly well. You couldn't keep it that low as a 7w because of the offset needed - that means one more layer :sad: But here I would really like to know how you managed to make the figs sit side by side and how stability is provided, since I can't reproduce that. I assume the black part we see is not the baseplate, right? Maybe an upside down plate, and figs aren't fixed? - I like the following two very much, too! When everything is low like this, even the smaller wheels work well.
  • Police 4-seater - fantastic vehicle! Again a whole lot of great ideas to keep it smooth and practical at the same time. Easily one of the best 4-seaters I have seen so far. Awesome solution for the roof! Again I am wondering about the way the figs are seated, stability is mainly provided via the baseplate, I assume.
  • Pick-up Truck - a very appealing design, this could easily be a set. I love the way you tilted the whole thing. (This windscreen is really versatile - it even works here!) Stickers for the doors are allowed here, I think :wink:
  • Truck - top-notch, too. All the proportions work very well, everything is in the right position. A truck like this couldn't be less than 8w. Really a gem!

Again, wow! There are some fantastic inspiration in this batch! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Sorry for being this curious about positioning the figs in the cars. But if I was able to build a 6w car that is low, stable and easily fitting 2 figs side by side - I'd give up the 7w idea instantly.

Edited by ER0L

that truck and pick-up truck are awesome man..

Thank you!

These are great! The scale is too big for my setup, but a whole layout full of these would be really nice.

The official modulars I think is actually closer to this scale than the narrower 4 wides, but they also contains quite a few more bricks. Would like to do a small house someday where one of these could be parked :classic:

The blue cabrio - from the front at least - reminds me of a Lotus Esprit (like Roger Moore uses in The Spy Who Loved Me and another film ... For Your Eyes Only??)

I belive that was indeed an Esprit.

That blue truck is absolutely amazing. :wub:

I forgot to tell that its mostly a mix of a Kenworth 379 and a 359. You could make your own. Just grab the lxf file :classic: , although some of the parts are a bit hard to get.

mind if I take inspiration from your work ? :sweet: )

Excellent designing....I'll be studying these designs for a while today :laugh: ......Brick On Drive On 'SearchFunction' ! :grin:

Your welcome! I like to share my designs and se what other people can do with them so if there is something you can use all the better :wink: .

Crazy awesome vehicles my favorite has to be the truck :wub: I swear Lego has to take a look at all these MOCs so they can make some cars worth buying

The great thing about Lego though is that we can make our own as well :sweet: .

Wow! A fantastic batch of cars, SearchFunction, very good-looking and packed with great solutions! I have taken a close look at them since this is very interesting in terms of what I am trying to do myself (and you have been a strong inspiration before, as you know). But let's face the details of some of them:

That 7w copcar of yours is stunning. One of the great things about 7w is that the windscreens looks so much better. Dont stop making 7ws :classic:

• Police Car - very good-looking car (and nice figs, too :wink:). I especially love the backend, looks very sporty. Thanks for the reference to my cop car (btw. they have the same height, apart from the signal lights on top). I can't see exactly how you did the baseplate, it seems that the figs are sitting on a 5w construction, the doors are sticking out a bit, so it's rather 7w in this area. Might be not too easy to handle this offset in terms of connecting the cockpit to the wheel section. Anyway a very spiffy design!
    There is no main baseplate in this one. Each fig sit on a 2x4. In the middle its a 5w up until the doors, then it "converts" to a 6w. If your familiar with LDD you can take a look at the lxf file but I could work out some pictures too.
  • Blue Convertible - again a very neat and sporty design! I love the way you combined the windscreen and those doors, works surprisingly well. You couldn't keep it that low as a 7w because of the offset needed - that means one more layer :sad: But here I would really like to know how you managed to make the figs sit side by side and how stability is provided, since I can't reproduce that. I assume the black part we see is not the baseplate, right? Maybe an upside down plate, and figs aren't fixed? - I like the following two very much, too! When everything is low like this, even the smaller wheels work well.
    The black plate in the blue convertible is not the baseplate so your guessed correct! I figured that with the larger wheels there is space enough (below) to put it all on a big fat 4x10 plate. The black plate your see is one of these. The figures are not attached to anything when they sit in my cars as they need to move like 1/4 of a stud to be seated.
  • Police 4-seater - fantastic vehicle! Again a whole lot of great ideas to keep it smooth and practical at the same time. Easily one of the best 4-seaters I have seen so far. Awesome solution for the roof! Again I am wondering about the way the figs are seated, stability is mainly provided via the baseplate, I assume.
    Yep a 4x12 baseplate. No attachment for the figs (LOOK MA NO SEATBELT :laugh: )
  • Pick-up Truck - a very appealing design, this could easily be a set. I love the way you tilted the whole thing. (This windscreen is really versatile - it even works here!) Stickers for the doors are allowed here, I think :wink:
    The avengers set 6867 has a truck in it that uses a very similar design, but this one was made before that set got released. It looks rather funny without the tilt when I tried that, so this is really the only way to go.
  • Truck - top-notch, too. All the proportions work very well, everything is in the right position. A truck like this couldn't be less than 8w. Really a gem!

8w for trucks fits with 6w for cars. Gotta get a 7998 and make a group picture one day

Again, wow! There are some fantastic inspiration in this batch! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Sorry for being this curious about positioning the figs in the cars. But if I was able to build a 6w car that is low, stable and easily fitting 2 figs side by side - I'd give up the 7w idea instantly.

Ask away! There are two designs I have used. The first one I learned from Masao Hidaka

. I love that design. My own black convertible is based on that one. In that design the figs arms are free and the figs are attached firmly. The idea here is to have 1 stud between them, just like in your own policecar. The sides are then made to be only 1 plate wide and attached in various trickster ways.

The one I use now is a bit easier to make as its simply a 6w base with standard doors. There is a smooth bottom for the figs to sit on. The hard part here is in placing the figs. A bit hard to explain in text. I need some new batteries for my camera. I shall take a picture to show it, but for now lets say that one fig WILL have to have its arm bent at a 90 degree angle, while the other will have to have its arm bent enough to make its hand clear the torso of the other fig..yeah better wait for that pic :laugh: .

Here is how I place them :

figsv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by SearchFunction

Fantastic works, this cars are absolutely fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup:

For sure I will take inspiration :classic:

Many thanks SearchFunction for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly! I see that I should take a closer look to LDD ... :wink:

Thanks a lot for the photo, now I am convinced that this really works when using those doors. This means the figs can't be seated on the baseplate, though, which makes the car at least one level taller. But it looks great anyway, I like it better than the first solution.

Thanks for the link to the Video of Masao Hidaka, too! I didn't know it - his solution looks very sophisticated. It doesn't solve the problem, though, since the arms of the figs are above the "doors" - like in the Vehicle Base 6 x 5 x 2. This might work well on a convertible, but not on a closed car.

Again, many thanks for sharing your solutions and thoughts about this crucial (at least in my view) aspect! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: It's very inspirational - like your awesome MOCs themselves!

Great job! :thumbup: I especially love the blue four-seater with a trunk - brillant!