The 8070 is a great set and my first large Technic build in over ten years, but this car was meant to have an open top!

Changes include:

-Folding top

-Headlight clusters moved inward

-Panels added to engine cover

-Functional steering wheel(HoG still works as well)

-Mirror positions changed

-Front fender panels were moved inward

-Seats angles were changed

-Dash has added pieces for gauges and it now supports the windshield frame

-Exhausts were changed to follow the rear panel lines

-I still need to buy a few extra pieces to finish the top of the windshield section. I'd also like two extra shocks so I can cut down the spring size so the front can sit lower.

Feel free to share any critiques or advice! I'm just getting back into the Lego world and I appreciate any help.

Justin

lego80708.jpg

lego80709.jpg

lego80704.jpg

lego80706.jpg

lego80701.jpg

lego80703.jpg

Always like modding of original lego models. Good and simple idea to make old model look fresh:)) new body type with facelift;)

Its normal for real car brands toi ntrodice cabrio/spider 1 or two years later than main roofed model to gain life period of car.

I love your changes - very nicely done. The 8070 is a beautiful set and you have been respectful with your upgrades and they work very well as a result. I would like to see a better view of the engine. I like the idea of putting the panels on the engine similar to the LS series Chevy V8 and I think Mercedes AMG does something similar on their V8 engines.

Great stuff! :thumbup:

Edited by Technic Gearhead

Sad, but the modifications are so small that i almost cant notice them, try something bigger modification or something like that.

Hi everyone,

I just be a member this web page. It is not releated with this topic but I have a question;

I will visit Berlin next week and I want to buy some lego city and technic products. Are prices equal to USA prices in the Berlin LEGO shop.

For example; I want to but "Volkswagen T1 Camper Van", this product price is 119,99$ in the USA, so in the Berlin LEGO shop what is this item price? Is it 119,99€??

I will wait feedback from you...

Best regards...

Sad, but the modifications are so small that i almost cant notice them, try something bigger modification or something like that.

Can't notice them!? I noticed them right away. I am a Supercar guy, though. :wink:

The MOD's are very well done. I MOD many of my sets, and there truely is a fine line between keeping the integrity of the set or destroying it.

Well done indeed.

-Mike

@ Doruk: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: I lived in Berlin, Germany for 3 years -- it's a beautiful, exciting city so have a good time there! On the Shop.Lego.com website for Germany, the 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van costs 99.99 Euros, so expect to pay the same price at the Berlin store. If you use today's conversion rate, 99.99 Euros = USD $124.71.

Hi Hi and Welcome.

You have made some nice changes look forward to when it is all finished.

What you really need to do with your 8070 is build a Jeep hehehe :laugh:

I don't know if it's the quality of the pics or the quality of the mod, or both, but I instantly like the 8070 even more...

You did a good job there.

Did you use only the 8070 parts? And could you maybe show us the changes/build?

:thumbup:

That is pretty nice! I think you should have modded out the battery box though. That is IMO the ugliest part of the 8070.

I decided to upgrade my 8070 to a V10 and before I did, I tried to work out the design in the Lego Digital Designer program. This being my first go with it everything was confusing but I think my years of Photoshop use proved helpful. The biggest issue with fitting a V10 into the engine bay was the "strut bar" which is in the way of the two extra cylinders. Removing this beam causes the entire front end to become weak and very unstable so I fitted two smaller 7 length beams in between and these also support the front side of the engine itself. I also used two t-beams plus a 3 length beam to add more support and as a bonus they resemble an air intake.

If anyone else had put a V10 in their 8070 I'd really like to see your solutions as mine is probably a lot more complex than it needs to be.

sfa6.png

qmf.png

xmw.png

Looks great!! Very well done.

Nice photography by the way!! +1 :thumbup:

My suggestion would be to buy the Rechargeable Battery. This will make your model look so much better. And it's very useful for other PF models.

84599 Battery Box

84599.jpg?1

A very simple solution is using a 1 x 5 x 11 panel to hide this battery box. (edit: not sure whether this will work on your version)

1 x 5 x 11 Panel Plate

64782.jpg?1

Some subtle changes. How does the roof fold up? It so needs that battery box covering up, maybe a red panel or do some more work on the rear. What's frustrating me at the moment is that Argos are showing 8070 for £47 but it's obvious to me its discontinued so can't be bought.

H

Please note that the OP is a year old. Might not be assembled anymore. Though it is a nice mod of the model.

I just picked up the 8070 for a cheap (in Finland) price and thinking should I keep it or sell it as it doesn't have any new parts for me and someone else might

be interested as it is discontinued.

Please note that the OP is a year old. Might not be assembled anymore. Though it is a nice mod of the model.

I just picked up the 8070 for a cheap (in Finland) price and thinking should I keep it or sell it as it doesn't have any new parts for me and someone else might

be interested as it is discontinued.

I would keep it as it gives you a good basis for many supercar MOCs. Also you can never have enough parts :grin:

Very sweet mod! As a lot of people have already said, the back could use some more work. But what you've done to the front...oh my that's hot. :cry_happy:

The rechargeable PF box looks nice but...$100! Maybe I'll just convert my 8070 to use manual functions instead.

The roof folds directly behind the seats as one section like a Ferrari SuperAmerica, but it rotates on two different attachment points to stop it from flopping about. I tried various designs that folded up but it was just too complicated and took up too much space.

lego80705.jpg

Edited by therealjustin

I actually managed to build in a V12 instead of the original V8 when I made my 8070 fully RC a year ago (and redesigned the ugly backside), let's see if I still have some pictures somewhere..

And yes, the 8878 rechargeable battery box is a must!

Edited by jantjeuh

I couldn't look at that ugly rear of the 8070 any longer so I ripped out the motor and battery box with all functions converted to manual control. Not only does the car look better but with the extra weight gone the entire stance has been improved! The rear sits higher and the space between the tires and wheel arches matches that of the front.

Also changed from the previous photos are black rims, a V10 engine and a reworked front end. The folding hardtop roof has been tweaked slightly as well to allow for a better fit.

13883829309_2aff1d7ba7_b.jpg

14047326416_707b917031_b.jpg

13883834438_2aa2ec219d_b.jpg

14070906284_66edbd75e3_b.jpg

14067241241_76a87cecb0_b.jpg

Edited by therealjustin