hjmediastudios

[MOC] Space Marines Bulwark-Class Gunship

A new vehicle for my Space Marines Cuusoo project:

7803561226_f51646f7e4_z.jpg

Three Space Marines AC-265 <em>Bulwark</em>-class dropships move through the atmosphere of Rigel 723f. With stabilizers engaged, radar scanning, and a full payload of heavily-armed Marines, each vehicle will proceed to its target location. After laying waste to any and all Ugokin fortifications with its heavy railgun and modular weapons packages (not pictured), the gunship will proceed to release its cargo of Marines at a point specified by reconnaissance troops deployed earlier via drop pods.

This is the main element of the new flagship set, although I'm still working on the accompanying token Ugokin vehicle and finalizing the minifig loadout. Expect a substantial number. Currently, each gunship is exactly 1000 parts with the two pilots and gunner, plus a modular sensor package. The final piece count of the set will likely be around 1200 pieces, so if Lego makes this as a set, this'll be the wallet-buster of the lineup. Overall, I tried to balance an AFOL's concern for looking cool with play features. The top hinges up for full play access inside, the cockpit opens, there are two concealed flick-missile launchers, and weapons pods that still in the design stage can fasten under the main wings. The sensor package with radome and antennae can also be swapped out for a turret gun, carriers for recon bikes, etc. The interior holds 8 Marines when fully loaded... but if you're willing to play fast and loose with formations, you could probably fit 10 or so.

Make sure to check out the full size of the image- this is a desktop image. (Thank God for liquid cooling on my CPU...)

7803779502_4711d478d5_z.jpg

The main railgun of the Bulwark gunship. Each dual-gun set can pivot independently, allowing for an expansive field of fire. 50% of the vehicle's power goes into loading up these babies, so Ugokins should take care not to come anywhere near the gunship's turret.

7803778956_f17a7183f2_z.jpg

Sealed against vacuum, space parasites, and the semi-annual Marine ShipWash Fundraiser.

7803778268_916ecb9011_z.jpg

Hey! Pilots! Pilots with the new pilot uniform I made so LEGO doesn't have to use a special mold to make them! Yaaay!!!

7803777248_c28ea4ca06_z.jpg

A closer look at the main intake and cool rotor-type thing. I'm not sure why it's there, but it is. (You can also see the improvised wheel I used when I noticed that LDRAW didn't have the right kind.)

7803776322_80e450437b_z.jpg

The ball turret gunner's console, located in the front of the ship. My idea is that this guy (or gal) would control the primary ball turret, and the pilot and co-pilot would operate any extra forward-facing weapons.

7803773930_49e62e944d_z.jpg

Ain't nobody getting in here without proper authorization. More of the Technic goodness can be seen here.

7803773218_aa0d8e49b4_z.jpg

I'm especially proud of the yellow lining of the hatch. It just adds a nice splash of color to a primarily-gray vehicle.

7803772478_83c9c3c5c9_z.jpg

Just an inside view.

7803771388_2f8d85b60b_z.jpg

The roof lifts up on two sturdy Technic hinges to allow for easier inside play. I debated making the top actually just lift off, but that proved to be not as fun to my lil' beta testers as the hinged roof.

7803770648_00eee5f754_z.jpg

You've survived if you're seeing this angle... at least, until the Marines pop out the back hatch.

7803770212_bdbcb6fe2d_z.jpg

Hey, I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of this view, would you? Though not. The carefully asymmetric design is probably most apparent from this angle. This seems to be what AFOLs love, and also lets the sensor package be replaced by a gun that can fire directly forward without hitting a centrally-mounted cockpit.

7803769796_15d39077a6_z.jpg

Side view. You can see glimpses of the flick-firing mechanism, as well as a clearer picture of some of the hinge mechanisms that make up the top and hatch.

7803769164_41094bd7a9_z.jpg

An orthographic top view.

7803768370_eefa487b3f_z.jpg

A top/back view showing the upper rear wings, as well as the sensor package and a few nods to Classic Space. I was especially inspired by some of Tromas's work when it comes to the radome- something about that just screams "I'm a functional spaceship, not a racing vehicle!"

As always, questions, comments, and criticism is heartily appreciated.

Totally, bloody, AWESOME......

I'm buying 4 of these, do they come with Marines? or are they sold seperatly :laugh:

And thank you for my new desktop background :grin:

Edited by BasOne

This isn't the full set, this is just one ship.

It's not 'just one ship', it's 'just one bloody awesome ship' :wink:

I really, really love the design.

Gosh, You are an amazing designer! Just one thing, It would look soooooo much better in blue! Jk, blue is just my favourite colour. I really like all your vehicles. I also like all the peices you have in the set, being a space MOCer myself, I really appreiciat a cheap set with good pieses. Not saying your sets are cheap, just the 15 dollar one on the cuusoo is the one I was thinking of. I am now just rambling, like I always do, lol. Any way, I really hope you can get your Space-Marines into store shelves, I will buy ever one!

Oh, just wondering, are the pictures 3D renderings?

Edited by Bighappysmiles

I can't wait to see the ugokin vehicle, especially as this is extremely awesome already. Good idea with the front gun and since I'm a sucker for modular weapons this vehicle scores high in my book. I also like the use of the two round dishes on top.

This is great! You obviously put a lot of thought into the design :thumbup: The overall shape is very pleasing and I like that you included plenty of play features :classic:

Yup, they're useful for HF, for robots, whatever you need actually. I've found they can be used for some awesome cannons.

The twin gun turret on the front looks really good. :thumbup: The whole asymmetrical ship is just an awesome concept.

Fantastic gunship; I like it a lot :thumbup: :thumbup:

The twin gun turret on the front looks similar to the front turret of K-wing in Star Wars :classic:

Well, I think that, in a way, the intakes and the hatch on the back are the most awesome parts of this work of MOC art. I don't know why. They just are.

That back hatch is really nicely done! I like the over all feel of the ship. It feels like it's a no nonsense ship with no frills that gets the job done.

The coloured tips on the ships is also really nifty! I'd swoosh one of these bad boys :laugh: