billdeen

[MOC] Z-95 Headhunter Starfighter (set 9493 build)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I've always wanted to make a Z-95. Having 9493 on my shelf, I decided to make the attempt, using only parts from that set. I like the way the engines turned out best. The front fuselage I'm not quite liking as much. All in all, I think it turned out well, given the challenge.

7798460864_80a81e3593.jpg

100_2998 by jb15games, on Flickr

7798461808_e0bd268c9c_m.jpg

100_3007 by jb15games, on Flickr

7798462154_109df65034_m.jpg

100_3000 by jb15games, on Flickr

7798460672_deebbc49f8_m.jpg

100_3002 by jb15games, on Flickr

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta8xvfWOY5Q&feature=youtu.be

That's pretty good considering the piece restrictions. I think the fuselage might be a bit too long. I haven't looked at one since the TIE Fighter game many years ago, so I could be wrong. That's pretty cool though seeing a Snowspeeder and a Z-95 both from an X-Wing. I wonder what else is "hiding" in that set.

Really nice starfighter! The cockpit, I think, is similar to 6212, but the idea is great.

P.s. Do you know, where the Z-95 figured, except the Clone Wars? Thanks in advance.

Really nice starfighter! The cockpit, I think, is similar to 6212, but the idea is great.

P.s. Do you know, where the Z-95 figured, except the Clone Wars? Thanks in advance.

Z-95s have been a staple of the EU since the early 90s, when it was originally designed for the X-Wing video game. In fact, it might have been referenced in literature prior to that, but I'm pretty sure its shape comes from the game.

It's essentially the poor man's X-Wing, being similar in shape, speed and performance, but weaker in every way. Paper-thin shields, half the firepower, no astromech, armour that crumples if you so much as give it an angry look. It was used in every game in the X-Wing series, usually by pirates or rebels when times were tough (or when they were pretending to be pirates).

As for the model, I guess it technically matches a Z-95 description but looks a little too much like an X-Wing to me. And in doing so, you've pretty much hit the problem on the head with regards to TLG releasing an official Z-95 set, in that it as a ship it simply looks too similar to their flagship starfighter, which they'll want to have on shelves at the same time.

Great job, billdeen! :thumbup:

It seems a little slim and the cockpit could be placed a little more forward. Still, being limited to what 9493 offers, this is a great iteration - recognisable on the first spot! :wink:

Though it's built from the X-wing (which is a great idea) I think it could do with the dome area at the back, it's really the only thing that separates the Z-95 from a X-wing without S-Foils.

Though it's built from the X-wing (which is a great idea) I think it could do with the dome area at the back, it's really the only thing that separates the Z-95 from a X-wing without S-Foils.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

The Z-95 is actually different in a few other ways--it is more powerful in some respects (shields charge faster, deplete faster, lasers fire faster, but are weaker)... at least the Z-95s in X-Wing Alliance (pc game).

Using other parts, I would love to of course use the dome window seen on all the Jedi starfighers. And a rounder back would definitely be good. I can't decide, though, whether I like the 4 engines or whether I like the 2 jumbo ones better.

I like it! It's a bit simple, but I always think it's clever to see people build MOCs out of a per-exsiting set.

Nice MOC, you have made a good work with this Z-95 Headhunter :thumbup:

The Z-95 is actually different in a few other ways--it is more powerful in some respects (shields charge faster, deplete faster, lasers fire faster, but are weaker)... at least the Z-95s in X-Wing Alliance (pc game).

Using other parts, I would love to of course use the dome window seen on all the Jedi starfighers. And a rounder back would definitely be good. I can't decide, though, whether I like the 4 engines or whether I like the 2 jumbo ones better.

I meant in terms of appearance rather than performance :classic:.

And I just googled some more, and the 4 engines one has the flat back, it's the one with the two large engines that is the domed backed one, so yours more accurate :grin:.

I meant in terms of appearance rather than performance :classic:.

And I just googled some more, and the 4 engines one has the flat back, it's the one with the two large engines that is the domed backed one, so yours more accurate :grin:.

The Z95 is very popular, cheap, and widely customized... so any appearance can be considered accurate in one or another place in the galaxy :wink:

I can't wait to see how the official lego version will turn out.

The official one seems to be a clone wars era one, which is an earlier mark to this one.