MacGyver

MOC RMS Titanic

Hello everyone!

I've decided, to post a description and building phases of my latest Lego project. But let me start at the begining...

As a small kid, I was the happiest person on Earth when I got a set of Lego bricks. Over the years, I've collected enough bricks to fill a small truck :laugh: But now, in college, I don't have neither time nor will for assembly. But on the other hand, I've allways wanted to have something big assembled from Lego, something, that I could have displayed on my shelves for a long time. And then, decision was made. Since I'm a fan of steam ships, I've decided to build RMS Titanic...

Work started in LDD program. I've spent around a month to construct a ship that I was fully satisfied with. I was building along real Titanic blueprints, so everything is constructed as close to real ship as possible.

Pics from LDD:

lddscreenshot136.png

Ship still has old back here:

lddscreenshot145.png

Construction of new, SNOTed back:

lddscreenshot163.png

Completed:

lddscreenshot176.png

Next thing was to generate a building plan and to get the list of all required bricks. Fortunately, I had just under half of everything allready at home in my big pile of bricks :classic: Remaining had to be ordered.

Few days later, last package of bricks arrived. Everything still packed:

1234_01010.png

And scattered all over the floor:

1234_01111.png

1234_01212.png

Finally, construction has begun.

Progress was very slow because of 2 things:

- firstly, LDD isn't exactly the smartest program on Earth, so it has generated building plan starting at the top of the ship :cry_sad: After 1200 steps (of 5400 all together) it finally became pleasure to build, because then the building plan became normal (from bottom up). Why is building from up to bottom so bad you may ask? Mostly because lot of bricks are placed into empty space, and only after few steps, the required brick, to hold those in place, is placed. Plus you have to have model turned upside down all the time.

- secondly, because of that many piles on the floor, you can't have all in reach of your hand. So, standing up and sitting down ca. 4577 times per minute is required :laugh:

Some photos of progress:

2345_0011.jpg

2345_0055.jpg

2345_0066.jpg

3456_01010.jpg

dsc03894111.jpg

dsc03924fff.jpg

dsc03922eee.jpg

And despite everything, I've manage to finish construction. Sign in front of the ship:

dsc03997nnnn.jpg

Ship from every angle:

dsc03998nnnn.jpg

dsc03999nnnn.jpg

dsc04000nnnn.jpg

dsc04001nnnn.jpg

dsc04002nnnn.jpg

dsc04003nnnn.jpg

dsc04005nnnn.jpg

dsc04006nnnn.jpg

dsc04007nnnn.jpg

dsc04008nnnn.jpg

dsc04009nnnn.jpg

dsc04011nnnn.jpg

dsc04012nnnn.jpg

dsc04013nnnn.jpg

dsc04014nnnn.jpg

dsc04015nnnn.jpg

dsc04016nnnn.jpg

dsc04017nnnn.jpg

dsc04018nnnn.jpg

dsc04019nnnn.jpg

dsc04021nnnn.jpg

dsc04022nnnn.jpg

dsc04023nnnn.jpg

dsc04024nnnn.jpg

dsc04025nnnn.jpg

dsc04026nnnn.jpg

dsc04027nnnn.jpg

The model is built so that it can be transported. It consist of two halves. Everything that needs to be done is to remove one chimney and main cable. This is done within 30 seconds:

dsc04036nnnn.png

dsc04037nnnn.png

And now for some data:

Name: RMS Titanic of the White Star Line company

Length: 217 cm (with base plates), 193 cm (without base plates)

Width: 25,5 cm

Height: 50 cm

Weight: around 15 kg

Number of bricks: a bit over 12000

LDD planning time: around month

Building time: a week (around 50 hours)

Note that everything except long cables is Lego and that nothing is glued!

Well, this is about it. I hope you guys like it.

For the end, let me post a comparison with real ship:

bw2.png

bwnnnn.png

Best regards, NEJC

*oh2* WOW! This is the most impressive LEGO model of a real ship that I've ever seen! So massive, and so accurate to the real thing. I'm gonna spend the next little while poring over these pictures! :wink:

Wow thats probably the most accurate and biggest model of the Titanic I've ever seen :grin_wub:*oh2* *oh2* I wish Lego would be that smart and make a Titanic I would take it in a heartbeat. :moar: :moar: :moar: :moar: :moar: :moar: :moar:

A very nice project! That must have costed you a small fortune! I like your approach, first LDD / Ldraw than building, that is what I also do for such a projects. Just like other engineering tasks, plan first then realize.

That's quite an impressive project! I'd love to see this up close at some point - it's wonderfully detailed and so massive.

The only little thing I see that could have been done better is the angle of the bow, it seems like it's a bit upright and should have been tilted slightly outwards. But that would probably have been a huge undertaking, so I can fully understand why you've left it the way it is. And the whole thing still looks amazing :)

Thank you all for very kind words!

@JopieK

Well,I couldn't have build it in any other way, because I didn't have enough bricks at home. But even if I had, I would do it in LDD first probably :classic:

@L@go

Bow is built in the following way: first tower is from 1x1 bricks, second from 2x1 bricks and so on. So I couldn't move upper half of the first tower for a half stud forvard because of the second tower. But even if I could, it would look too much ''broken''. And all Lego slopes have too big inclination. So in this scale, I think it's better to leave it as it is :classic:

I have made another comparison with real ship. This is the last I think...because stock of photos of the real Titanic isn't really rich :classic:

bwmmmmm1.jpg

bwmmmmm2.jpg

Best regards, NEJC

I'm sorry but being a big fan of the ship RMS Titanic, I fanboyed over this, it's the best representation I have ever seen of this ship! I am amazed that you put in all that time and effort for the result is beautiful! I've always fancied a go at building a titanic from both LEGO and Airfix so maybe one day I will! Amazing job!

AWESOME ship building there 'MacGyver', I'll show my wife the images of your creation tomorrow....she is a huge Titanic fan and loves anything to do with the ship or it's sad end. :classic:

I'll post what my wife thinks tomorrow night......Brick On 'MacGyver' ! :grin:

Thank you all once again!

@Javert

I'm a huge fan as well. It's just something about this ship :classic:

@lightningtiger

Looking forward to her opinion :classic:

Did you find it extremely difficult to convert the blueprints into Lego once you decided on a scale, especially with such a large ship? I mean, obviously thus was a large, time-consuming and creative build, but was it really, really difficult? I was curious because I would love to use some of the old blueprints of WWII aircraft carriers that I have in order to make the USS Yorktown CV-10 Aircraft Carrier (my grandfather served on it), but I am intimidated by the size of the project and the blueprints (so they have just been sitting there since I acquired them). This is extremely impressive - GREAT build!

Thanks for sharing this fantastic build with us MacGyver. I found it ironic the ship breaks in half for sinking transport. Amazing attention to detail and it pays off with the end result being a true Masterpiece WELL DONE!

I hope to see this on the Frontpage of EB soon!

Brendan

PS let me know if you come to Australia with it. My son and I would love to see this one up close.

That is just, wow!

Awesome job, looks absolutely stunning in every way.

It's so nice to hear such comments :wink:

@Pilotdude20

For blueprints look here:

http://www.abratis.de/

under ''resources'' you should find it. Inside the ship are just all colored ordinary bricks for reinforcement...

@AncientDayz

It depends on scale that you want to do. All scales have their + and -. For example, bigger the scale, easier will be for you to present all details from blueprints. But on the other hand, bigger the scale, more it will cost and harder will be to actually build it.

In my case, I ''copied'' as much as possible and it wasn't really very hard. Little bit time consuming I guess, to get all those lengths right.

My advice for you is that you give it a try. Maybe in LDD first, as in my case, and smaller scale with not so many details. You'll see that feeling, having build something very similar to the real thing, is just great :classic:

@Aussie BJ

It would be great to be in the front page some day :classic:

Well, my wish certainly is to go to Australia some day, but it won't be possible in near future I'm afraid :sadnew:

best regards, NEJC

It looks simply amazing! *huh* That looks so much like the actual RMS Titanic and you must have taken up so much time building the whole ship...

Excellent job on Titanic. You have really done it perfectly. Just awesome !!! I can't wait to see this masterpiece live, at Kocke Klub LUG event this fall.

Thanks again!

I thought that some of you may be interested in details. So here are a few pictures of the back of the ship and other details.

Back of the ship without upper piece:

dsc04048nnnn.jpg

Here you can see how it's built:

dsc04049nnnn.jpg

In the middle are 1x1 bricks with studs on both sides, then ordinary 1x1 bricks are placed on top. Everything is placed perfectly on tiles below:

dsc04050nnnn.jpg

and fixed on both ends:

dsc04051nnnn.jpg

dsc04052nnnn.jpg

A little bit more at the back:

dsc04053nnnn.jpg

From the outside you can see the connection:

dsc04054nnnn.jpg

Back of the ship:

dsc04055nnnn.jpg

And now some other details.

Here you can see how are masts placed:

dsc04056nnnn.jpg

Stairway in front of the ship:

dsc04057nnnn.jpg

Simple construction of the front crane:

dsc04058nnnn.jpg

Rescue boat:

dsc04059nnnn.jpg

Top of the front mast:

dsc04061nnnn.jpg

And the anchor:

dsc04062nnnn.jpg

Best regards,NEJC

hey MacGyver

you have made a very beautiful model ship. I read that you ordered a lot of lego bricks to make your ship, then i thought do you have a link to where i can buy bricks? I have just started to build a big project, so hope you can help me. Best regards Lasse :classic: