Fat Tony

Smaug the Tremendous

I finally finished up my newest LEGO version of Smaug that I had previewed back in Dec/Jan.

1344909480m_DISPLAY.jpg

I wanted a large pile of gold for him to pose on but unfortunately do not own enough LEGO gold to make

for a very good presentation. What I ended up doing was getting some gold foil (sold in little square

sheets for wrapping chocolates)and then pressed LEGO gold coins into the foil. Then I wrapped the foil

around my LEGO base and placed my actual LEGO treasure around to hold the foil in place and blend it

together better.

13449094973_DISPLAY.jpg

It turned out better than I was expecting.

13449094942_DISPLAY.jpg

You can find more images over here:

MOCpages

or

flickr

I'll be posting more pictures of Smaug in action soon.

Wow, I love it! The way you did the gold pile really worked out perfectly. I was trying to do something like that with just lego and it never turned out the way I invisioned it (and I have a lot of it, so it wasn't lack of parts). using the gold foil it looks perfect, reminds me of the way cell animation would do background/foreground for it. Just perfect. Really. :thumbup:

I love the dragon too, Really really nice work on it. It's really nice to see a dragon on his horde instead of up in attack mode all the time. Everyone knows dragons like to sleep on the gold, not always out attacking helpless villages. :laugh:

:dhappy:

That's a great dragon and interesting photo setup - it works extremely well and gives your MOC a great effect. Well done! :thumbup:

Yep, that's totally awesome. I love the way you decided to solve the gold problem and all of the sculpting on Smaug is amazing! :thumbup:

Brilliant! This really is tremendous. Smaug looks great and the use of the gold foil works well. I really want to build something like this myself. "Well thief, I know you're there..."

The invisible Hobbit is a nice touch too! :wink:

Outstanding MOC! :classic: First of all, Smaug looks simply amazing. Totally accurate (as to how I imagined Smaug). The many articulation points, the horns, and the shaping are all awesome. :thumbup: Also, I like his eye! 

The tinfoil is a genius idea. I'm no uber-purist and this is a brilliant way to make the hoard. It multiplies the already excellent presentation one thousand-fold. 

Last but not least, I'm loving the base you built.

The invisible Hobbit is a nice touch too! :wink:

Agreed! I love when people put ring-wearers in MOCs. It slows the minifig aging process, too! :laugh:

EDIT: :look: I never realized there actually is an "Invisible Bilbo" photoshopped into one of the pictures! I thought it was just a clever joke! :blush: Well in that case, applause! I love it. :thumbup:

Edited by purpleparadox

Wow, this is awesome! The way you did the gold was very clever, and I love your Smaug too! I always admire people who can build brick-built creatures well because I can't.

Really nice work, Tony. I love the textures on him, and his baleful expression is perfect. The foil gold pile worked out very well, too.

The design of this is based on cover art for one of the versions of the Hobbit, isn't it? The pose seems very familiar.

Wow! I love the way the dragon is resting on its loot in a "it's all mine" kind of pose. Very nice. The dragon itself, of course, is just mind blowing - very dynamic shape.

My first thought was that you can't possibly have that many gold LEGO pieces, but then I realized you used foil and pressing. I actually read the text the last, when I had already pondered how you did it. Good idea, there. Works miracles.

The Photoshopped invisible Bilbo is also very cool idea, as a further suggestion maybe you could make him look a bit more in action, perhaps portraying him from a perspective and in a different pose? Now he looks a little like just a watermark. :)

Genius technique for the gold, and lovely dragon as well. Just about matches how I always picture Smaug - lazing around on endless riches. :laugh:

Impressive! The dragon is such a beauty you would almost miss the great work on the floor!

The design of this is based on cover art for one of the versions of the Hobbit, isn't it? The pose seems very familiar.

Yup, looks almost identical really...

1344909480m_DISPLAY.jpg

Smaug.jpg

Really amazing job on the gold, the dragon, Bilbo and the floor!!!

So on the total entry in other words :laugh:

Wow all I can say is wow! I see this as just how I saw it in the Book! very cool effect with the foil and I love the floor design as well. The Dragon itself is just Killer!!! lots of detail and you have to keep looking to take it all in!