just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

It is nice to get confirmation that the fig heads will be two pieces, but it's funny that in this case at least, both pieces seem equally animal-like. [...] It looks like this decision was just to allow multiple expressions on the molded heads, which is quite thoughtful on the designers' parts.

I think it also has to do with Lego trying to create minifigures that appeal to both demographics of minifigure fans. I've seen a number of complaints about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles heads. People are saying that they are "not Lego like." By making the three dimensional masks very similar to the printed heads, Lego can make both types of minifigure fans happy. Now you can create basically the same figure without having to purchase additional parts.

I'm very, very happy with everything I'm seeing for Legends of Chima! It looks like a line that will be very fun to collect, fun to build, fun to play with, and fun to customize. No matter what you want out of Lego play themes (cool minifigures, a deep backstory, a new set to build, or parts for your own MOC), this theme seems to universally meet all those needs in one set or another. Way to go, Lego!!!

I can't wait to pick up set #70115 ("Ultimate Tournament"), and maybe #70104 ("Jungle Gates"). They seem like they would work very well together in a display. Also, I love that #70104 comes with 4 lion sculptures (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30274).

Seeing the eBay figure up close, I'm very happy they have a head under the masks. The figure looks awesome! I'm starting to have second thoughts about Chima...

I'm pretty impressed with this theme after seeing the pictures! That Wolf set will be at the top of my list for this theme. All the figs look great, and the vehicles do have a bit of a Zoids feel to them. Also, the figs remind of Battle Beasts toys, with the blue 1x1 round tile on the chest piece. The start of '13 just became much more expensive. :sadnew:

1. If we will not get angel in next CM I will be disapointed.

2.Inikawannabe Swords and new Axes! *oh2* I need many of them.

3. New crystals. I said that before but I am big sucker for Lego shinies. I'm glad they came in 6 in vechicle sets.

Still my favorite is the Falcon. And the most usfull is the set with many rocks.

Now I have to budget for next year! I'll finally be able to create the Armored Eagle Goddess for my GOH Nestlands Clans. New crystals too! Olive green boat! Lime green palm fronds! Gimme!

I'm going to buy Chima just for the trans-light blue chi crystals. And the swords. And probably the dog-like figs too.

Wow, looking right now (after ebay pictures and out of the box pictures), I think that all the figs will have helmets, and not modified heads :) That is just great, I love it!

For Bionicle fans out there - don't the new sword pieces remind you of the Toa Inika swords?

Just my thought, too! :D

That minifigure looks amazing. LoC keeps getting better and better! :)

-Gata signoff.png

3. New crystals. I said that before but I am big sucker for Lego shinies. I'm glad they came in 6 in vechicle sets.

Actually, I think the Chi Crystals are the exact same mold as the power crystals used in the Insectoids line: 30213.gif?0

No they're not power crystals or power miners crystals. They look most like rocket fins from classic space turned upside down. Or perhaps the stud and socket have been switched round. Or they're new four pronged 1x1 round bricks. What they aren't though is three pronged crystals.

Wow, looking right now (after ebay pictures and out of the box pictures), I think that all the figs will have helmets, and not modified heads :) That is just great, I love it!

I agree 100%! I wasn't even considering these sets because I thought the head gear looked like a little too much, but knowing that they have actual printed heads underneath I will have to see some reviews before totally writing them off :thumbup:

They look completely different. For one thing, there's a stud on top. Also, it has four long prongs and the center is one stud wide.

I legitimately like these sets a little more every time I look at them. They're brilliant! That minifigure looks great, too. It's good to know that we're going to get normal minfiig heads underneath the headpiece. LEGO's really pulling out all the stops for this theme.

"The kingdom of Chima is a magical land in which very advanced species dominate. These creatures speak and act like people. They use vehicles and machines and live in amazing castles and fortresses. They have claws, teeth, tails, and some are equipped with wings. Now they are at war with each other...
I really hope they follow on that in later waves.

And did anyone see this? So there's an elicopter vehicle that can be detached from the Croc Boat. I didn't realize that at first, it's definitely a cool feature.

Ninjas at least are cool.

Legends of Chima are not cool.

I'm not sure what the excitement is about as I am seeing chunky vehicles and chunky figures that don't look very Legolike to me. Dare I say it it looks like something Megabloks could come up with.

Also where are the castles and fortresses mentioned in the blurb - at least they might have some nice MOCing parts in them?

Edited by TeufelHund

Ninjas at least are cool.

Legends of Chima are not cool.

I'm not sure what the excitement is about as I am seeing chunky vehicles and chunky figures that don't look very Legolike to me. Dare I say it it looks like something Megabloks could come up with.

Also where are the castles and fortresses mentioned in the blurb - at least they might have some nice MOCing parts in them?

Mega Bloks would likely use a pre-fabricated piece for every one of the animal head motifs on the vehicles. The LEGO solution for the same vehicles is pure artistry-- the same sort of sculptural brilliance and innovative use of parts that's long been a part of the LEGO Creator theme.

Besides, if LEGO figures aren't supposed to be "chunky," then how would you describe them?

Not too sure about this theme. I like the weirdness of the minifigs' heads and accessories, but the weirdness of the vehicles isn't doing anything for me. The two eagle vehicles are pretty cool, and the eagle flyer is probably the only one of these sets I will actually buy. I wanted to like the lion guys, but their heads look a bit sad to me and their vehicles are kind of Tinkertoyish. And that croc boat is really, really crazy in a great way, but way out of my price range.

Eh... this is just not my cup of tea, I really don't like anything about this theme. Maybe some minifig parts can be useful, but nothing more.

And did anyone see this? So there's an elicopter vehicle that can be detached from the Croc Boat. I didn't realize that at first, it's definitely a cool feature.

I had forgotten that tiny pic existed. The helicopter is exactly what I mentioned earlier in this thread after the pics were released. It just looks like it detaches as a flying craft. Neat.

I think it also has to do with Lego trying to create minifigures that appeal to both demographics of minifigure fans. I've seen a number of complaints about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles heads. People are saying that they are "not Lego like." By making the three dimensional masks very similar to the printed heads, Lego can make both types of minifigure fans happy. Now you can create basically the same figure without having to purchase additional parts. . .

I agree, I think TLG saw how popular the suit-guys from the CMFs were and realized that masks instead of molded heads would be much better. I can already see myself with a whole bunch of humans dressed up like eagles and falcons. . . :grin:

And the fact that he has a double-sided head is awesome. :thumbup:

One of my first thoughts about this line was that how well they can be used with the Ninjago serpentine vehicles (e. g. Fangpyre Truck, Rattlecopter) - thus there could be another tribe with snakes. A clever move from LEGO.

Edited by wghost

I really hope they follow on that in later waves.

And did anyone see this? So there's a helicopter vehicle that can be detached from the Croc Boat. I didn't realize that at first, it's definitely a cool feature.

That's the tail end.

Have similar figures to the black-winged ones been released before?

Yesterday I saw some figures at a flea-market that looked similar, but I thought they looked kind of old.