just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

Erm... So in the other words. When I see Lego Chima they remind me Fabuland (Duplo theme as I know), that's why they look too childish for me :<

Fabuland is actually a transitional theme much like Jack Stone or 4 Juniors. Unlike Jack Stone, pretty much all the connections were System-based (Jack Stone had a mix of System-based and Technic-based connections), but there's no way you could confuse a Fabuland piece for a Duplo piece in real life.

I believe Fabuland arms and regular minifigure arms are also interchangeable.

No AFOL understands Fabuland until someone puts a gun in the Fabu-fig's hands...

I see nothing cute about Chima... I'm glad, as I think that would hamper down the action... Panda's are an exception, however. They can be cute and lethal. They are just that epic.

For me, there is a certain cuteness to Chima, but only the same amount that is inherent to the LEGO minifigures. The stout proportions, the simplified, cartoony facial features, and the bright colors help the theme feel friendly and inviting despite any sense of danger evoked by the theme's fantasy weaponry or the angry-faced villains.

For examples, check out Laval's facial expressions. The little smile on the left is very cute, and only slightly less so when his helmet piece is on. Similarly, some of the stylized tribe emblems have a cutesy look, as does the wide-eyed, open-mouthed expression of Lennox's Lion Attack.

I got my hands on several Chima figures. I dont see these figures as cute or whatever else others are saying, I see them as complete badasses. I am a huge castle/pirate AFOL army builder. I have been building a huge MOC for the past 3 years. For me these guys will live in the forest with the rest of the castle factions. I cant wait to include them in MOC where the Wolf tribe meets Wolfpack :) These figures are so awesome. The amount of detail and print is simpy amazing.

The little smile on the left is very cute

Hehe... no. I think those smiles look very... awkward with the "Helmets" on. Should have been a neutral expression. However, there are some Chima heads that are just awesome. Take Razcal's for instance.

Edited by Penkid11

Yesterday I went to KidsFest in Richmond. Chima was hugely popular. There were tons of people at the Chima activities. Here is my video of the Chima activities:

At the LEGO Store inside the event, kids were swarming the Chima section. I picked up Equila's Ultra Striker and Ring of Fire. They also had nifty foam swords and shields for Chima, which I hadn't seen yet.

Yesterday I went to KidsFest in Richmond. Chima was hugely popular. There were tons of people at the Chima activities. Here is my video of the Chima activities:

That's actually nice to hear.

They also had nifty foam swords and shields for Chima, which I hadn't seen yet.

By chance do you mean these?

Laval

http://shop.lego.com...s-Shield-850614

http://shop.lego.com...al-Sword-850615

Cragger

http://shop.lego.com...s-Shield-850611

http://shop.lego.com...er-Sword-850612

Also take a look at this. Click the sets that display "New." Once on their page you will also notice that they say "Retiring Soon."

http://shop.lego.com...equestid=904920

Edited by Penkid11

'Kay guys, going to just say:

If you don't like, don't buy and don't come in here and whinge.

I don't like Star Wars, as such I don't go in the subforum. :wink:

The March Wave of Speedorz is out!

I just got Nest Dive. Also found Jungle Gates, but passed (now's just not the time). Strangely, I did not see any Ice Towers. Usually the local Fred Meyer's gets all the stock... Will mini-review later tonight.

I GOT ME EGLOR! WOOT!

Just got back from TRU with some Chima.

Crawley's Claw Ripper and CHI Battles. Building them ATM!

And this concludes my 1000th post on Eurobricks!

-Sci

I just got Nest Dive. Also found Jungle Gates, but passed (now's just not the time). Strangely, I did not see any Ice Towers. Usually the local Fred Meyer's gets all the stock... Will mini-review later tonight.

I GOT ME EGLOR! WOOT!

Can't wait for the mini review! Please show scanso of the cards, if you can.

-Sci

Congrats!

Congrats CM4S!

Nest Dive is yet another Speedorz dud. The jumping function will be waaay to hard for the target audience to master. It took me well over 45 tries to get the Speedor in the nest. You have to gently rev up the Speedor and then aim it perfectly at the outmost pointing finger of the pot-leaf ramps. And even then, the nest Hazard has to be propped up against something so that the Speedor doesn't push it around upon touch. Also the pot-leaves will mark up the Speedor Wheel with enough attempts. Now if one were to step away from that, we have THE BEST Speedor (itself) to date. The blue eagle Speedor is sleek looking and is the first dark colored Speedor to become available. And then there is Eglor. He is probably the most intricately printed minifigure I own. I. Love. This. Bird. The monocle is okay, but it can be removed by twisting the head which looks similar to Equila, just with a few minor differences. I'm only an Eris away from completing my Eagle Tribe making me a very happy little birdie. The weapons included are the Jabahak (halberd) and the CHI Weapon Lightnix. The Cards are the same as usual. Character, normal weapon, CHI Constraction, CHI weapon, and power-up. The Power-up is also underwhelming as they are just a pair of wings.

If one were to combine all Spring wave sets together, you have a pretty nice track. Ease-through Jungle Gates at high-speed, jump off one of the Nest Dive's pot-leaves into the Ice Tower. At top speed, the Nest Dive can make excellent jumps into things, it just depends if the nest doesn't move. If it does, your aim is thrown off, and landing the Speedor Minifig-up is a one-in-a-million chance. In other words, Boulder Bowling, the Ravens from Target Practice (no cannon), Ice Tower, the Ultimate Speedorz Tournament Fountain, and the CHI Battles Pot-leaf Goblet are perfect pairs with the nest dive for this purpose.

Ratings

6/10 Half the set is perfect, half the set isn't. That's that.

Edited by Penkid11

-Sci

Congrats!

I take this opportunity to announce my 1000th post on EuroBricks too! :laugh:

Of course I need to add something to the discussion: I think the Chima Speedorz idea is very good on paper, but in real life...

I've fallen in love with the normal sets, though. So, no problems there! :thumbup:

Congratz to both. And I agree, the Speedorz are good on paper only, but there are very few ideas that don´t take a ridiculous dip in quality when making the transition from concept to reality.

EDIT: Awesome songs. I´m starting to warm up to Chima and it´s getting closer to Ninjago in terms of appreciation.

Edited by DraikNova

"This is the day, the day of glory."

I don't think I'll be deliberating whether or not to buy these songs off of iTunes once they come out.

Thanks Meiko, and by chance do you have "Unleash the Power" without the sound effects in the background?

Edited by Penkid11

I GOT ME EGLOR! WOOT!

WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE THE HECK DID YOU FIND IT? :drool:

"This is the day, the day of glory."

I don't think I'll be deliberating whether or not to buy these songs off of iTunes once they come out.

Thanks Meiko, and by chance do you have "Unleash the Power" without the sound effects in the background?

I can have that up in the next hour or so. :wink:

EDIT: Only took 30 minutes.

Edited by Meiko

It seems my bad luck with Chima sets continues.

My dog "stepped" on Longtooth's hand while I was playing the game with my friend and broke the whole thing off. All that's left is the little part between the actual arm and the C part of the hand. I can't pull it out with tweezers, because the more I try to, the more it breaks the hand!

I dislike dogs. Very much.

If anyone could help, thanks!

EDIT: Found another dark tan right arm. Yay!

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

That's got to suck, but you found another arm. Were you playing on the floor or something? I suppose if you have floorboards the speedorz would go quite fast.

Oh hey, wait, it gets better!

I come home from a friend's house to see both Longtooth and his Speedor torn apart by my dog! CrazEmote.gif

-Sci

I have to say that's one bad dog. Our three lovable mutts generally leave my collection alone. Every once and a while though the naughty one will steal a minifig just for the attention. He hasn't damaged anything yet. But I try not to tempt them and keep them in a separate room that they aren't allowed in.

Edited by Gatekeeper

Oh hey, wait, it gets better!

I come home from a friend's house to see both Longtooth and his Speedor torn apart by my dog! CrazEmote.gif

-Sci

If you intend to get a replacement, I think it should be soon. The set is retiring.

Might I also suggest a lock into your Lego room? If your Lego room is a part of another room, might I suggest a heavy curtain?