just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

And why can't it be based on the Tridinidad Chima legends?

Anything is possible, but I think many have taken the mention of the "Indian connection" and run pretty wild with it. Looking at the webpage Huw linked to in the Brickset article, it tells that according to a local Trinidadian legend Chima tribe won some battle and to celebrate it they ate hummingbirds forgetting the very birds were inhabiting the souls of their ancestors, and in retaliation gods created a large pitch lake to swallow the whole tribe. That's it, the story of the Chima tribe. Doesn't sound like the most suitable material for a Lego theme to me, for several reasons. And the story doesn't involve Conquistadors nor Aztecs - who happened to live some thousand kilometres away, for what's it worth. I think someone was even happily waiting for a Wild West revival... that's like expecting Vikings if the name actually was Legends of China instead of Chima.

I would be shocked if it was based on the Trinidad myths. Seems way too esoteric for a successful line. Have anyone you heard of Chima before this post?

Sounds vaguely Asian to me.

Steve

I don't think anyone has. :sad: Then again this leaves LEGO with the possibility of making stuff up to make the line successful. :sceptic:

Anything is possible, but I think many have taken the mention of the "Indian connection" and run pretty wild with it. Looking at the webpage Huw linked to in the Brickset article, it tells that according to a local Trinidadian legend Chima tribe won some battle and to celebrate it they ate hummingbirds forgetting the very birds were inhabiting the souls of their ancestors, and in retaliation gods created a large pitch lake to swallow the whole tribe. That's it, the story of the Chima tribe. Doesn't sound like the most suitable material for a Lego theme to me, for several reasons. And the story doesn't involve Conquistadors nor Aztecs - who happened to live some thousand kilometres away, for what's it worth. I think someone was even happily waiting for a Wild West revival... that's like expecting Vikings if the name actually was Legends of China instead of Chima.

Thanks for this quick summary. Indeed i was initially hoping for something about Aztec/Mayan, about conquistadores or even a new way into a pirates theme, garnered with colonisation and ancient native american civilisations. That's of course too much at once but there are just so many promising ideas to elaborate.

Have we considered that this may be the name of the subtheme for the final Ninjago wave?

Or that it may be pure fantasy with only a tenuous name connection to Chima myth, much like Bionicle did with Maori myth? Lego do have form with that sort of sneakiness.

Legend of Chima

I'm hoping that its a typo and its actually The Legend of Chimera theme.

An ancient Greek theme based on mythological creatures. Maybe 8 sets in the series each one is based on a mythological creature the final and biggest set featuring the Chimera.

Could lead to a Medusa, Poseidon, Pegasus and others.

Could be fun :sweet:

Legend of Chima

The name of this topic is slightly misleading, as the registered name is actually Legends of Chima. Also it is unlikely that there'd be a typo in an official trademark file.

Nevertheless Chimaera is something I too thought when I heard the name. I just don't think it is much more probable than China or Chima indians connection.

The name of this sounds like a kind of quasi-Asian quasi-Historic theme, and since we already have Ninjago, I doubt they'd launch into another similar idea. That makes me think it'll be some kind of Ninjago subtheme.

If not, then I'll wait and see. It sounds like the sort of thing they'll have an animated series for, like Ninjago.

What do you mean by this? :wacko: Are you saying this topic is in the wrong forum? :dwacko:

I am saying that it sounds an awful lot like an action theme. I may be dead wrong but that is what it sounds like to me

It would be very sloppy for Lego to try and copyright a typo.

For me this rules out "Legends of China."

Although that would be a cool theme to have, with the increasing economic power of China and such a huge market for toys???

It would also be a shot back at the chinese Lego clones. :)

So for me this seems like a possible sub-theme for Ninjago, with the pirate models etc.

OR

It really is a Chima Indian theme, including Aztec and other central Amerindian like creatures, buildings and maybe some conquistadors ???

??Stepped Pyramids ??? would lego try this again when Pharoah Quest is still selling off the old stock?

Great idea Venunder It could be an Aztec theme.. that would fit in well. The characters from the Pharaohs Quest line go exploring ancient Aztec ruins.

That would really make it a remake of the Adventurers line. They went to Egypt then the jungle/Aztec and then finally India and China. I'd be happy if we got Aztec followed by some Asian based sets in 2 years time.

I feel ever more appetized by the idea of middle american tribes and conquistadores. If Pharao's Quest - as is this new Monster Fighter's hadn't been 'fantastic' action themes - at least the first mentioned would have caught my interest.

When will we get any sourced info? Is it included in the new retailer's catalogue?

When will we get any sourced info? Is it included in the new retailer's catalogue?

I wouldn't count on that. Possibly if these are Lego Games or something like that instead of self-standing playset themes. The January 2013 doesn't have much room for new themes, as Ninjago should still be continuing at least that far and there's already the rumour of some sort of Polar Expedition theme for 2013. Whatever Legends of Chima and Speedorz are, they are likely to appear Summer 2013 at the earliest. Could be 2014 as well, as far as we know.

Ceterum censeo I still think bringing Aztecs into this is quite far-fetched.

So to sum up.

We don't know what Legends of Chima is.

We're not sure if the reported name isn't a typo.

We don't know if it'll be an action or historical line or both.

We don't know when it'll come out.

We don't know what it'll be based on.

Is speculation really worthwhile at this point? We might as well say that it's about a small dog getting into mischief. A dog called Chima. We've got basically nothing to go on at this point.

Couldn't we just... take it easy for a while?

I would guess based on the title(which is nothing to go on really) that this will replace Hero Factory, the way Hero Factory replaced Bionicle

Or couldn't Lego get the licence rights of "Legends of Zelda" (had 10K supports at CUUSOO), so they will do something similar but then "Legends of Chima" called...

It can't be a typo as TLG have registered 'Chima', not 'China' .. China would make some sense though as I guess they'd like to break into that market. But messing with Chinas past is quite a sensitive topic :hmpf_bad:

2013 will tell :sweet:

(But my guess it's a new adventure theme, hooray!)

Legend of Chima

An ancient Greek theme based on mythological creatures. Maybe 8 sets in the series each one is based on a mythological creature the final and biggest set featuring the Chimera.

Could lead to a Medusa, Poseidon, Pegasus and others.

Could be fun :sweet:

That's what I thought of too when I first heard the name. Chimera, not Chima. A Greek mytho inspired theme would be really cool imo and something fairly different from their recent themes.

I gotta say though, the chance that is it a typo is probably zilch to none :sad:

I think it's safe to asume that is not a typo. If it is, someone has messed up big time. After all it's a trademark registration and you don't mess such a thing up. You just don't.

I would love this trinidiadian theme! Historicy Piratey theme, huzzar!

However, I doubt many 9 year olds have even heard of the islands let alone their history, so unless TLC are making a theme specifically for AFOL history buffs, I think the Ninjago subtheme seems most likely...

I'm more prone to think that it is an Action type theme designed to sort of slip into that anime/quasi eastern/exotic fantasy type setting that we see in so many cartoons video games and such, and is probably the Ninjago replacement. Something that is seeking to not so subtly play in similar territory as The Legend of Korra? I just don't see it as being a historical theme, except in the most remote sense. Right now Lego's shelf space that would otherwise be taken up by history themed sets are mainly filled by licensed properties, with the core spots being taken up by LotR and Hobbit stuff, which we know will be around for awhile yet. I think other than CMF's our best hope for new History themed stuff will be pop up exclusive sets such as the Kingdoms Joust or maybe an off chance of some Western stuff inspired by CuuSoo.

I'm more prone to think that it is an Action type theme designed to sort of slip into that anime/quasi eastern/exotic fantasy type setting that we see in so many cartoons video games and such, and is probably the Ninjago replacement. Something that is seeking to not so subtly play in similar territory as The Legend of Korra? I just don't see it as being a historical theme, except in the most remote sense. Right now Lego's shelf space that would otherwise be taken up by history themed sets are mainly filled by licensed properties, with the core spots being taken up by LotR and Hobbit stuff, which we know will be around for awhile yet. I think other than CMF's our best hope for new History themed stuff will be pop up exclusive sets such as the Kingdoms Joust or maybe an off chance of some Western stuff inspired by CuuSoo.

An anime theme like exo force would be great.

In thinking about this, it occurs to me that TLG seems to be revisiting their Adventurers line from the late 90's/early 00's. They recently (2010) released Pharaoh's Quest, which tackles the Egyptian Johnny Thunder Theme (1998-2001), as well as the new Dino line for 2012, which - almost set by set - replaces the old Dino Island Theme (2000).

The two remaining Adventurers lines that haven't been - rebooted - if you will are the Jungle Theme (1999-2000) and the Orient Expedition theme (2003). Based on the name, I can see The Legends of Chima falling into either of the above categories, though I'd lean towards the Orient / Everest direction. Though it can't be too similar to the Polar/Ice theme they're releasing too... Hmmm.

More rampant speculation. :grin:

In thinking about this, it occurs to me that TLG seems to be revisiting their Adventurers line from the late 90's/early 00's. They recently (2010) released Pharaoh's Quest, which tackles the Egyptian Johnny Thunder Theme (1998-2001), as well as the new Dino line for 2012, which - almost set by set - replaces the old Dino Island Theme (2000).

The two remaining Adventurers lines that haven't been - rebooted - if you will are the Jungle Theme (1999-2000) and the Orient Expedition theme (2003). Based on the name, I can see The Legends of Chima falling into either of the above categories, though I'd lean towards the Orient / Everest direction. Though it can't be too similar to the Polar/Ice theme they're releasing too... Hmmm.

More rampant speculation. :grin:

*brofists* I just wanted to write this.

And I don't know why but Chima sounds to me like a theme about Fire vs Water conflict. I really have no idea why, but... It's like this for me.