Sign in to follow this  
sqiddster

Clutch power of 1x2 transparent brick

Hello there, I have a quick question.

I have built a structure out of 1x2 bricks, which works well. I want to build it out of transparent bricks, however, and I need to know if their connections will be sturdy enough (the layout of the structure is a horizontal column of 1x2's, essentially a bridge), since I don't have enough transparent ones to test properly.

Any advice?

How wide is the column? And will their be supports underneath it?

The clutch power of the 1x2 transparent brick is significantly less than a normal 1x2, but if they're all pressed fully together I don't think you'll have a problem. Unless your column is really wide/long.

The clutch power of the 1x2 transparent brick is significantly less than a normal 1x2

Huh-- I might have even thought the opposite. I recall from the "Stressing The Elements" presentation that the polycarbonite elements actually stick to each other REALLY well compared to ABS elements. But then again, you're missing the center tube. Now I'll have to play around when I get a chance!

DaveE

I also think PC is more stress durable than ABS but I don't know that for sure...

Well, it seems I brought up an interesting issue!

For more details, the structure is a horizontal 'bridge' of 1x2 bricks. It can't be supported, except at the ends.

Thanks!

PC is definitely sturdier than ABS, but it's not enough to make up for the lack of a center pin in the transparent 1x2s. I ran a quick test on this using two bridges, one built out of transparent 1x2s and one with white. Each was a stack of 20 bricks, turned horizontally, and supported only at the ends. I tested their load-bearing capacity using pennies (since they're a fairly consistent weight that I could add incrementally) and after a few tests, the transparent bridge supported a maximum of 67 before failing, whereas the white bridge held 194. Of course, you're going to get diminishing returns the longer you build your bridge, but even at this relatively small scale it's clear that the central pin makes a huge difference. Hope this helps!

If you're planning on buying the bricks off of Bricklink, there are currently over five thousand trans-clear 1x2 Bricks with Center Tube, but they are more expensive than the bricks without the tubes. So depending on how much you're willing to spend on bricks for your bridge those could be an option.

- The Brick is Epic

Thanks, everyone!

Thanks Tragic Banjo especially, now I have a nice test to go by.

Interesting about the center tube, but I am planning on using trans-light blue, not trans-clear.

Since by bridge will be 30 bricks long at the longest, it looks like I won't have any problems. The only load it has to endure is a ball rolling across it.

If you are using new one, you will have no problems. Used ones can be lossed, BUT, if you criss-cross them, even that will not be a problem, if some of them have good clutch power

like this:

......____

____ ____

......____

chechk out this bridge, it is standing on only 2 studs on each side, and it is more then a 1 m long:

bridge-1.jpg

elesee-23.jpg

all those pillars are not construction, they are jost for show ;) main thing that is keeping it standing is that "criss cross" line trough the middle. I used no glue, or thechnics part. This way, you can build as big a bridge as you wish with only 1x2, as this one was made of:)

(in other words, id does not mater what type of bricks you are using if they are new. Good new trans clear 1x2 you can find in PaBs. Use "USED" ones only if you tested their grip first

Edited by Angeli

If you are using new one, you will have no problems. Used ones can be lossed, BUT, if you criss-cross them, even that will not be a problem, if some of them have good clutch power

Thanks, but unfortunately I cannot criss-cross them.

Drow Master Builder.... I love your creative spirit in buildings... it's like a combination of Medieval and Disney all in one... KUDOS!!!! default_classic.gif

One thing I've noticed about old Polycarbonate trans-clear parts is that they sometimes show a crack in them. This is especially noticeable in old 1x1 round bricks. They apparently don't have the flexibility of ABS.

Huh-- I might have even thought the opposite. I recall from the "Stressing The Elements" presentation that the polycarbonite elements actually stick to each other REALLY well compared to ABS elements. But then again, you're missing the center tube. Now I'll have to play around when I get a chance!

DaveE

I think they're clutch power is greater, even though the consensus seems to say otherwise. Take 4192 Fountain of Youth for example. I had a hell of a time getting the 2x2 trans blue rounds apart.

I think their clutch power is greater, even though the consensus seems to say otherwise. Take 4192 Fountain of Youth for example. I had a hell of a time getting the 2x2 trans blue rounds apart.

All other things being equal, most transparent parts have a stronger hold than their opaque counterparts - the stack of seventeen clear 1x2s in Fallingwater springs most readily to my mind - but in this particular case, the bricks don't have the center pin, which turns out to be a major factor.