Flare

Heroica RPG - Quest #42: The Meaning Of It All

"Yeah, tell the good doc his company has arrived" Eric said. He shrugged and shook his head at the scene of Erdathcath digging once again in a completely random spot.

"We insist that you let him no that we are here. Let me tell you, any negative, ill treatment you may have shown us will reflect badly back on you, Mr. Blue Squiggly Thing!

After that horrific ride I positively demand that he grant us an interview post-haste. With no lack of gratefulness! Come on! Buzz along now!"

06.jpg

Eugene hovers (?) into the house and a couple minutes later he returns with Dr. Trice.

07.jpg

eugene-icon.jpg

"Here, Dr. Trice, these are the heroes I chose for you! They are quite brave, they defeated a semi-mad demi-god by the name of Odzaph on our way here. I'm sure they will be able to help you acquire the last three items for the staff."

drtrice-icon.jpg

To Eugene: "Yes, thank you Eugene."

Now he turns back to the heroes: "Welcome heroes of Heroica! As Eugene just mentioned it seems that you have already proved your worth. My genie is quite useless when it comes to anything dangerous, he just hides in his magic lamp and shivers. Very much a coward, a big baby."

eugene-icon.jpg

"Yes, yes, I'm a big baby... I know, I know... *sniffle*"

drtrice-icon.jpg

"OK, Eugene, please, no interrupting! I have important matters to discuss with my guests! Well well... I am really wanting to get these items as soon as possible, but would you be interested in hearing about my project or would you like to just get on your way and go get the three items I need? If you'd like to see the staff then please, come inside. As an alchemist I know not only how to make lead into gold, but how to make a good beer! So if you're thirsty... let me know!"

Noticing Erdathcath digging in the ground, he mentions in an annoyed tone: "Please don't dig in my ground, you wouldn't believe how long it took to make this place look good, and I don't need some rowdy heroes to dig up my plants! Thank you!"

Edited by Flare

I had pulled out my shovel to engage in some digging of my own, but quickly hide it behind my back at the appearance of the doctor. When he gives Erdy the little lecture I heave a sigh of relief and slip it silently into my cart while whistling a tune. :innocent:

"Wait a moment? You know how to make lead into gold? Seriously?!? Then how come you are not offering a greater reward for those going on this quest? I mean, you could have the best names of Heroica at your service if you had given a fair enough price! To me, the idea sounds ridiculous at best. I know what they say:

"'Never trust an alchemist. If a man can attempt to turn one material into another in the manner which they do, then who knows what they will attempt to change.'

"I don't know if my comrades are interested in seeing this staff of yours, if so, I will come along, if not, I am also content to go about your business at once."

I had pulled out my shovel to engage in some digging of my own, but quickly hide it behind my back at the appearance of the doctor. When he gives Erdy the little lecture I heave a sigh of relief and slip it silently into my cart while whistling a tune. :innocent:

"Wait a moment? You know how to make lead into gold? Seriously?!? Then how come you are not offering a greater reward for those going on this quest? I mean, you could have the best names of Heroica at your service if you had given a fair enough price! To me, the idea sounds ridiculous at best. I know what they say:

"'Never trust an alchemist. If a man can attempt to turn one material into another in the manner which they do, then who knows what they will attempt to change.'

"I don't know if my comrades are interested in seeing this staff of yours, if so, I will come along, if not, I am also content to go about your business at once."

drtrice-icon.jpg

"Yes, of course I can turn lead into gold! Greedy little hero, if you really understood how hard it is to do so then you would understand why you aren't getting more. It takes a long time and lots of effort to turn lead into gold. Much easier to turn it into silver, but no one seems to care about silver for some reason. Are you suggesting that Eugene chose second-rate heroes!? ... Oh, and I once was a cleric actually, but decided that alchemy is much more interesting. If you ever happen to be interested in changing your views then I could show you some nifty tricks..."

Edited by Flare

If you ever happen to be interested in changing your views then I could show you some nifty tricks..."

:drool:

"Ah-hmm!" I grunt and turn away quickly.

"Yeah, sure old man, show us your staff and tell us what we hired for. We can use all the information we can get."

Monk Pretzel hops into his cart and takes a quick nap. The doctor has made them wait for far too long. Need it be said that Monk Pretzel caught some sweet dreams of gold and the like, and being able to make his own coins. :grin:

Hi everyone sorry for the delay, I'll try to get the next part up soon, I've just been very busy.

Snore, snoar, moar snor is heard from within the cart.

You three - I am SO sorry for the long wait! I am really really sorry, I didn't mean for it to happen but things got really busy. Now I think I have things under control and things will run smoothly from now on (I hope :sceptic:). To make up for the long wait I promise you extra rewards to make you happy. :grin:

drtrice-icon.jpg

"Yes! Please come in, gentlemen."

Dr. Trice leads you inside his home. It seems a bit bigger than you thought from the outside. He leads you through a couple rooms and halls and finally you arrive to one of his experiment rooms.

08.jpg

drtrice-icon.jpg

"Please excuse the mess! I don't expect visitors very often and to be honest, when I clean things up I never can find anything! Quite strange I must say. Anyways, here is the staff on the table. It is not completed as you can see, I still need a few more items before I can meld it together."

Dr. Trice picks up the staff carefully and shows it to the heroes.

09.jpg

drtrice-icon.jpg

"It is quite a curious tale how I got whiff of the designs for this staff. It all started a long time ago, when I decided to leave the Invision Guildhouse. Or actually almost got thrown out of it. But that is not important. It is like this... after I left the guildhouse I become a wandering alchemist, performing small tricks of alchemy for the peasants to earn my bread. Still 2 years after I left the Invision Guildhouse, I was wandering around, and met the most interesting alchemist. His name was Almite Bob, who wasn't really a real alchemist, he was sort of a part-time alchemist and a part-time magician. He always had the most queer way of performing alchemy and magic, it was interesting that I learned with him for quite a time. By that time I had learned some secrets that no one had ever mentioned at the guildhouse, and I'm sure that if they found out that I knew some of the things that I know they'd kick me out for sure. *cough* Anyways, after many years working with Almite Bob we had quite a fierce argument. Don't ask me what it was about, for I don't remember and if I did I wouldn't tell you. Anyways, we had a fight and I left the victor, and took all of the secret papers that he kept hidden (even from me, would you believe it!). At the time I didn't know what was inside, but one of the things he had kept hidden from me was the ingredients for creating life! Can you believe it! He was so selfish, keeping it secret for himself! With this staff of course we can create new life, but we can also heal and repair, to fix the wounds of the broken! It will fix all the problems in the world! I have been working for over a dozen years on this staff, and as you can tell I am getting quite old. I only have three ingredients left to finish melding the staff, and then it will be ready. I have a map somewhere with the instructions on where to get the last three items and if you have no questions I will go and look for the map."

Luckily for the alchemist, Monk Pretzel remains sleeping outside.

Wow! I just don't see any way Monk Pretzel would agree to going on this quest if he heard that speech. It just reeks of blasphemy! :tongue:

Great to have you back in action here, Flare. :classic:

OOC: It's fine, I understand the wait.

Well, it seems like the staff is almost finished! What are the items we will need, and where should we go to find them?

Also, what exactly do you plan on using the staff for.

"Fetch us the map already, so we can get going. Also, do you mind giving me one of those delicious beers you talekd about earlier? You know, so I can give you my expert opinion on it?"

drtrice-icon.jpg

"OK my dear heroes, you can wait outside for me while I go and look for the map, and then I'll go prepare your drinks, and then meet you outside."

The heroes walk outside and wait for about 10 minutes until Dr. Trice walks out. He brings an interesting map with him. He hands it to Eric.

10.jpg

map.jpg

drtrice-icon.jpg

"Here is the map you will need to follow in order to find the three items that I need. The need one each of the following items: demon-frog essence, a shard of Mythril, and the core of an apple of power. You can find the Mythril from a specific seller in Shelbric who is partially insane - just go to the outskirts of Shelbric and you'll find him easily. The other two locations are less well known, so I marked the locations with my own personal names for them - I don't know if other people call them by different names. I would recommend going first to the Demon Frog Valley, since its the closest. Oops, I forgot to get your drinks! Before I go back in to get your drinks do you have any questions?"

For reference, on the map, each time you cross a "line" of the hexagon of the map, it indicates that night-time will fall, therefore for example it would take two days to reach Demon Frog Valley. Its possible to NOT follow the designated path but it will take more time per hexagon plus a higher chance of getting attacked, because it is just "wild" territory.

Edited by Flare

Hmm, so the question is, do we want to try to save time by making a straight line in our journey and risk animal attacks, or should we just stick to the trails? Either way, we should go to Demon Frog Valley, then Shelbric, then the Power Tree orchards. That would probably save the most time.

Hmm, so the question is, do we want to try to save time by making a straight line in our journey and risk animal attacks, or should we just stick to the trails? Either way, we should go to Demon Frog Valley, then Shelbric, then the Power Tree orchards. That would probably save the most time.

drtrice-icon.jpg

"To make myself clear, I wouldn't recommend travelling off of the trails because it probably will be slower going, and then you're also more vunerable to attacks of course as I already said. The trails were made for a reason! But its up to you guys... as long as you manage to acquire me those items I'll be happy!"

I continue snoaring blissfully, curled up in my cart. What a dream I am having. Gold, gold, and more...huh? What's that? A sword? :wacko: What the devil! I hate these dremas that cut off just as they begin to get good. That's when you know you're dreaming. :hmpf: I role my eyes in my sleep, much like this little icon does. :grin:

Or we could just travel round and round through off the trails, fighting enemies and gaining experience. Who needs an unlimited quest anyway. :tongue:

Actually Monk, you have quite a genius plan! We could just travel throughout this entire area, and collect whatever we can! We might even be able to find some mythril for free, making it easier to complete the quest. default_laugh2.gif What do you say Eric?

Actually Monk, you have quite a genius plan! We could just travel throughout this entire area, and collect whatever we can! We might even be able to find some mythril for free, making it easier to complete the quest. default_laugh2.gif What do you say Eric?

QM Note: Except in the unlimited quests you get to choose the difficulty level... here is however impossibly hard that I want :devil:

"Let's just stick to the roads to travel and save the QM a whole lot of time and effort :grin:. Erdathcath's idea was good. First we go to the Demon Frog Valley. From there we travel to Shelbric and finally we go see the Power Tree orchards."

He turned to the old monk Pretzel. "Will you be able to keep up with our speed, old man?"

drtrice-icon.jpg

"OK! Well I'm glad that you guys are good and ready to go. Let me go and prepare your drinks."

Dr. Trice walks back into his home and then a few minutes later comes back out with 4 drinks.

drtrice-icon.jpg

"I have two different recipes, I didn't know which one you'd like better, stickleback brew or magician's mead, so I brought two of each. Each of you can choose one, and I'll take the remaining one, and then you can be on your way!"

heroica-stickleback_brew.jpg - Stickleback Brew 2x

heroica-magicians_mead.jpg - Magician's Mead 2x

Party members, please choose which drink you would like to take!

Edited by Flare

"First we go to the Demon Frog Valley. From there we travel to Shelbric and finally we go see the Power Tree orchards."

He turned to the old monk Pretzel. "Will you be able to keep up with our speed, old man?"

Eric's loud question revives me from my slumber.

"Wha-wha-come on, let's get going! Out of my way, young'un."

I seize my staff and begin marching down the path in no particular direction. Hearing Eric's last comment, I let out a little snarl.

"Of course, I can keep up. Who do you think I am? I am a hero of Heroica Hall, not some old man." I snort. "Besides, I got my flying cross here with me. Have you heard how these things work? Especially powered, by the miracle-working strength of God himself. Of course, if I use this to fly, you would have to push my cart, but if it comes down to that I would warn you, if you in any way upset the cart, or the contents therein, I will have your coin to repay any damage, you hear? There are some pretty expensive and fragile elements therein that I would not appreciate if you jostle about. Now let's get moving."

I turn away as the "old man" offers his beverages.

"Mead?!? Ack! God forbid that I would drink that devil's brew. But how is the Stickleback Brew created. If it is anyway fermented I shall have to decline. Nevertheless, I would rather choose the enemy I am not sure is an enemy, then one that I am sure will do me harm. Therefore, I will take one of the "Stickleback Brews".

Thank you very much Mister...um...what was it again?"

Erdathcath just sits back and laughs as the Monk rages (again).

She then chooses the Magician's Mead thanks the Doctor, and prepares for her departure. Still hoping that they will do some out of the way exploring.oh2.gif