Flare

Heroica RPG - Quest #42: The Meaning Of It All

Thinking quickly, Erdathcath activates her Fire Bomb and smacks the poor fellow in the head 3 times.

Deactivate :facepalm:

I look on sceptically. "How exactly will defreezing this man help us, I wonder. More likely just cause us problems. I suggest we split the gold up quickly, so he doesn't claim a portion for himself or something. You know, better not to leave the temptation out for him to fall into. I hope this fellow doesn't spell trouble. Hopefully, he'll be able to show us the way out. Don't hit him too hard or he'll be rendered utterly senseless."

Good idea, we can just divide it as such.

Erdathcath; 3 gold bars

Monk Pretzal: 142 gold and statue.

If you would prefer the 3 gold bars, we could switch.

"Since the gold bars will not fit in your new satchel, I'll take the gold bars and you can take the coins." :grin::tongue:

"Although, I think we should first see if the graven image is of any value. Be it far from me to actually hold onto it or accept it, but perhaps you could sell it or something. I guess for now hold onto the coins and statue and I'll put the bars in my cart."

"Ok, sounds good."

Erdathcath proceeds to place the 142 gold coins into her satchel, and carries the statue, for now.

"I wonder when this young lad will wake up, it has been quite a while now..."

Party:

untitled-15.png

Monk Pretzel
, Level 12 Cleric

Power: 22

Defense: 5

Health: 22/22

Ether: 17/20

Gold: 122

Equipment: Staff of Malbert (WP:10,
Light-Elemental
), Tricorn (Artifact; SP:3), Ethereal Cloak (Artifact; SP:2, Max Ether +4)

Inventory: Cross (Nimbus Broomstick; Ranged; WP: 5), Grand Potion (2), Potion (2), Tonic, Grand Tonic (2), Remedy, Soma, Phoenix Essence, Deadly Venom, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Commerz Cannonball, Scroll of Sealing, Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, 3 Gold Bars

7658311678_af277ff22a_t.jpg

Erdathcath Madilinas
, Level 17.5 Druid
*party leader*
*lucky*

Power: 27

Health: 31/31

Ether: 19/20

Gold: 452

Equipment: Tritech Handcannon (WP:10), Satchel of Awesomeness (bodywear, causes
lucky
effect), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify)

Inventory: Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, Suitable to rangers, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Helmet (+1 max. health), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 3 Mead, 1 Smelling Salts, 12 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 1 Fire Bomb, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, Bone, skeleton decoy, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Saber teeth, Scroll of Weakening, Ruby, The Piece of Dirt That Changed The Universe, Bronze Statue

Erdy carefully deactives her fire bomb and knocks the man on the head three times. He slowly defrosts.

4-3.jpg

adam.jpg

"Ow... my head..." He shakes his head, picks up his sword, and looks straight at the heroes with a distinct look. Perhaps even a familiar look. "Thank you for your help. I will be forever grateful for you saving me from this cold destiny. I don't know how long I've been frozen in here already... perhaps a dozen years already? Its hard to tell. I can tell my story later if you are interested. I am sorry that I have nothing to repay you with. If you want, I can stay with you two and help you out, or I can go on my way and try to find my way home (if its still there). But decide quickly, I think that you only have 39 minutes left until the door will be closed."

"Any chance that you would know the quickest way through this place? I kind of doubt it because you, yourself, didn't get through, but if you know that'd be great."

While I speak I already begin heading back to follow the directions Erdathcath had already given.

adam.jpg

"I don't even know how I got in here in the first place, this place must be some hideaway of the Ostrich Raiders - the last memory I have before you guys woke me up was me being knocked out by one of them... By the way, my name is Adam. Thanks for letting me stick with you."

Adam has joined the party!

Party:

untitled-15.png

Monk Pretzel
, Level 12 Cleric

Power: 22

Defense: 5

Health: 22/22

Ether: 17/20

Gold: 122

Equipment: Staff of Malbert (WP:10,
Light-Elemental
), Tricorn (Artifact; SP:3), Ethereal Cloak (Artifact; SP:2, Max Ether +4)

Inventory: Cross (Nimbus Broomstick; Ranged; WP: 5), Grand Potion (2), Potion (2), Tonic, Grand Tonic (2), Remedy, Soma, Phoenix Essence, Deadly Venom, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Commerz Cannonball, Scroll of Sealing, Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, 3 Gold Bars

7658311678_af277ff22a_t.jpg

Erdathcath Madilinas
, Level 17.5 Druid
*party leader*
*lucky*

Power: 27

Health: 31/31

Ether: 19/20

Gold: 452

Equipment: Tritech Handcannon (WP:10), Satchel of Awesomeness (bodywear, causes
lucky
effect), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify)

Inventory: Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, Suitable to rangers, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Helmet (+1 max. health), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 3 Mead, 1 Smelling Salts, 12 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 1 Fire Bomb, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, Bone, skeleton decoy, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Saber teeth, Scroll of Weakening, Ruby, The Piece of Dirt That Changed The Universe, Bronze Statue

adam.jpg

Adam
, Level 21 Berserker (NPC - controlled by The_Customizer)

Power: 30

Health: 40/40

Gold: 0

Equipment: Regular Standard Ordinary Sword (WP:9)

Inventory: nothing

~~~~~

The party returns back to the last room and then takes the alternate path. They hit a dead end. * What should they do now?

Adam, by any chance do you know how you got into here? It may help us get out. Other than that, it may just be best to go all the way back to the beginning and take lefts all the way from there. Beyond that, I have no idea where we should go.

"Or we try going straight. Did you see any code or possible indication that we should look out for to help us on our way or do you think whoever built these tunnels just relied entirely on their memory?

adam.jpg

"Um yes maybe going back to the beginning would be the best idea. I have no clue how I got in here, I was knocked out in a different location. I have no clue how the people who built these tunnels navigated, they must have a map of their own or something. Or maybe they just memorized the locations. I dunno."

Times a wasting! A click is heard and only 38 minutes remain.

Edited by Flare

"Let's do that then. Should we proceed by taking all rights or going straight forward once we get back to the beginning?"

Hmm, not sure we would have time to just continue on from the beginning. Maybe if we go back out the door we came in, and then come back in, maybe the timer will be reset?

"Good point. Let's try and see. If we go all the way back to square one we may as well step outside and see what happens when we enter again."

We follow Erdathcath's plan.

c.jpg

The group makes it to the beginning room. They hear a few clicks so only 35 minutes remain. As they start to walk out the door they hear the same voice that they heard when they first entered: "Leaving so soon? Once you leave you won't make it back inside. The magic door is smart."

Edited by Flare

Oh, well that doesn't help. Do you guys have any idea? I have no idea where this might even lead to, and we only have 1 chance inside. Should we try taking the straight path this time?

"Straight or left? Straight or left? You're the party leader now, Erdathcath, you'll have to decide.

...Why exactly are we going into these tunnels anyway?"

Well, we saw a door, and decided to enter, probably not the smartest thing in the world, however, there wasn't much else we could do.

Let's go straight!

OOC: I will be gone for the day (or at least most of it) so just keep going straight, and follow wherever that leads.

Edited by The_Customizer

The party goes straight.

c.jpg

Another three-way intersection, oy. They go straight again.

c.jpg

And again.

c.jpg

And straight yet again.

bl.jpg

Finally they arrive to a two-way junction, and of course they go straight again.

And...

dead-end.jpg

Dead-end. On the way there the party heard 6 clicks, meaning only 29 minutes remain before they will be locked in!

"Erdathcath, try using your pickaxe on the wall. Perhaps, we could knock a hole in it, you could give it to Adam, here. He looks young and strong and like he could cut a path for us in no time."

"What I would not give for a compass at this point!" I groan.

Erdy chips away with her pickaxe for three minutes but for no avail. It seems that this really is a dead-end.

adam.jpg

"Lets not waste any more time with trying to dig through the wall. Now that we only have 26 minutes left we should just try to go through as many doorways as possible, maybe we'll find a room with a map or something. If this tunnel system was made by the Ostrich Raiders then I would guess that the most important locations were easy for them to remember, therefore easier for us to find, but they must've put a map somewhere... I doubt any of them are bright enough to remember this maze."

He thinks for a second and then says one more thing:

"Maybe this is a maze... for intruders to be trapped until they come and visit. Hmm... well lets decide quickly. Too bad neither of you have a compass. I used to have one, but as you can tell they didn't leave me with anything but my sword."

Edited by Flare

I turn back, are there one, two, or three doors heading back in the direction from which we came? If only one, we will go back to the last room we were in, and check again in that room.

Edited by Palathadric