Flare

Heroica RPG - Quest #42: The Meaning Of It All

"Hey! There you guys are! I left your new hero buddy over at the valley so I'll go grab him and bring him here. Eeks whats this, a battle!?"

"How helpful! Why didn't you bring him here to help us out. Would you also stop squealing like that. It's disturbing. By all means, run away, I like you better when you're gone," I snort. :hmpf_bad:

Merman Battle Round Two

Adam vs. Merman - Defended Damage

>Erdy vs. Merman - Hit / Critical Hit

Pretzel vs. Merman - Special Guard

Adam is hit once again with 15 damage with the Merman's vicious attack. Erdy performs a critical hit on the Merman causing 38 damage to the aquatic enemy. Pretzel's staff gets stuck in the mud which gives the Merman time to attempt to heal. He doesn't succeed because he has been sealed. He also doesn't manage to summon any friends to help him. The party has the opportunity to speak with the Merman.

Enemy:

merman-icon.jpg

Merman
*weakened*
*sealed*

Type: Humanoid, Aquatic

Level: 30

Health: 409/456

Special:
For Diplomacy's Sake
- The merman heals himself with 100 health and gives the party a chance to speak with him. 50/50 chance that additional enemy will be summoned.

Drops: Steak, Aquamarine

Note: Immune to all negative effects. All attacks pierce through SP.

Party:

untitled-15.png

Monk Pretzel

Level 12.5 Cleric

Power: 22

Defense: 5

Health: 22/22

Ether: 20/20

Gold: 122

Equipment: Staff of Malbert (WP:10,
Light-Elemental
), Tricorn (Artifact; SP:3), Ethereal Cloak (Artifact; SP:2, Max Ether +4)

Inventory: Cross (Nimbus Broomstick; Ranged; WP: 5), Grand Potion (3), Potion (2), Tonic, Grand Tonic (2), Remedy, Soma, Phoenix Essence, Deadly Venom, 2 Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Commerz Cannonball, Scroll of Sealing, Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, 3 Gold Bars, Magic Shovel
(will always find
something
when used, limited to three uses per quest)
, Magic Viper Skin

7658311678_af277ff22a_t.jpg

Erdathcath Madilinas
*party leader*

Level 18 Druid
*lucky*
*immune to petrify*

Power: 28

Health: 32/32

Ether: 21/21

Gold: 452

Equipment: Tritech Handcannon (WP:10), Satchel of Awesomeness (bodywear, causes
lucky
effect), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify)

Inventory: Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, Suitable to rangers, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Helmet (+1 max. health), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 3 Mead, 1 Smelling Salts, 15 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 1 Fire Bomb, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, 1 Paralyzing Venom, 1 Grand Tonic, Bone, skeleton decoy, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Saber teeth, Scroll of Weakening, Ruby, The Piece of Dirt That Changed The Universe, Bronze Statue, Demon Frog Essence

adam.jpg

Adam
(NPC - controlled by The_Customizer)

Level 21 1/3 Berserker

Power: 30

Health: 10/40

Gold: 0

Equipment: Regular Standard Ordinary Sword (WP:9)

Inventory: nothing

The party has the opportunity to speak with the Merman.

:look: "Um...you're crazy!" I offer helpfully as I heal Adam.

"Erdy, one of us needs to heal Adam. I can do it, since you deal more damage. Not sure whether Adam should play it safe and fight from the back row or if he should continue in the front? I suppose we can put him last in the battle order and up front since you have a third of a chance of healing him and I have a half chance, but I'll let you decide. I hate having nothing to do, so I'll propose a battle order if you don't mind:"

Proposed Battle Order:

Erdy: Merman (Back Row)

Pretzel: Heal Adam if Erdy didn't roll "Roots of Life," if she did, attack Merman (Front Row)

Adam: Merman (Front Row)

Edited by Palathadric

:look: "Um...you're crazy!" I offer helpfully as I heal Adam.

adam.jpg

"I think you're crazy." Adam whispers. "We shouldn't be fighting this mer-creature. They are holy creatures but are vicious when vunerable. If we could get him to understand that we're not here to kill him or kidnap him then we would be blessed by Ennoc..."

He quickly adds: "...or whichever god you believe in, sir."

"He's an evil spirit, Adam. Don't you know nothing. All of these water spirits are creatures of the nether world and need to be sent back to hell where they belong, but knowing Erdathcath I bet she's going to try to reason with him too! :hmpf: Think of the lost experience!"

"Alright though, because I'm such a nice guy, I'll talk some sense into him...

"Relax, watery merman thing. My party members seem intent on not hurting you, but reasoning with you. The truth is, we're not one of those who enslave you. As much as I may wish that you had stayed enslaved. Besides, I have no interest in coming anywhere close to you, if i can at all help it, but I'll tell you what. Let's have a go at the steak and cal it a day...I'm rather hungry, you know. ...Um...also, it's not nice to kill people, but...oh, here's an idea, if you calm your head and leave us alone, I'll heal you up nice and well. How does that sound? I also do like steak...no pressure there, though, just thought I should let you know."

"Alright Monk, you have gone on long enough. I'll talk to the Merman, so please do be quiet."

Turning to the Merman Erdy talks in a nice calm voice, and says"My dear Sir, I do hope you will excuse the rudeness of my fellow Monk, he is a great fellow, however he can get over his head sometimes. I do realize you are in a most unfortunate situation, and the only reason I stopped to talk, was to see if you were doing alright. We mean no harm to you, and simply wish to help you if possible."

"Alright Monk, you have gone on long enough. I'll talk to the Merman, so please do be quiet."

Turning to the Merman Erdy talks in a nice calm voice, and says"My dear Sir, I do hope you will excuse the rudeness of my fellow Monk, he is a great fellow, however he can get over his head sometimes. I do realize you are in a most unfortunate situation, and the only reason I stopped to talk, was to see if you were doing alright. We mean no harm to you, and simply wish to help you if possible."

The merman seems to have filtered out Pretzel's words and only have heard Erdy's speech.

He looks at Erdy with pained, beseeching eyes.

merman-icon.jpg

"You're not with the ones who captured me from my home and took me here until they found someone to purchase me as a slave? I overheard them plotting when the camped near here."

He thinks for a second and continues:

"If you could prove to me that you aren't here to hurt me then maybe we could make a deal instead of fighting."

He waves the beef innocently yet alluringly.

Well, I think I know who captured you, and is trying to sell you as a slave. The Ostrich Raiders, if you can point where you believe they went, we will go route them out, and destroy them for you, after all, it would probably be better to take them by surprise. I would offer to take you with us, however seeing as how you live in water, I am not sure how well that would work. Perhaps our friend Eugene the Blue Genie could take you back to your home when we are done with the Raiders.

"Or...we could share a steak with you as a sign of friendship.

...Now who could provide us with steak...? :look:

Clearly, if your story is true, then the Ostrich Raiders were the ones who caused you the problems. If they did I think they may be better people than I thought. We were planning on taking them out anyway, but we'll see. By the way, you should know that I thought we should leave you alone to your peace as we passed, but the elf was the one who bothered you. :innocent: "

Well, I think I know who captured you, and is trying to sell you as a slave. The Ostrich Raiders, if you can point where you believe they went, we will go route them out, and destroy them for you, after all, it would probably be better to take them by surprise. I would offer to take you with us, however seeing as how you live in water, I am not sure how well that would work. Perhaps our friend Eugene the Blue Genie could take you back to your home when we are done with the Raiders.

Again, the merman seems to be blocking out Pretzel's words and only hear what Erdy says. Perhaps he is incapable of understanding blabbering idiots. What a lucky man.

merman-icon.jpg

"I don't know where they went. I also don't know if they were 'ostrich raiders' or whatever but they did have big birds with long necks. Strange creatures. Probably couldn't swim. As for your offer to return me home, it seems almost impossible that anyone would be so kind, and if it is really true than you and your friends will have the mer-people's unswerving gratitude and loyalty. I am the son of my school's chief."

He stops looking friendly and eager, and bites his lip, looking a little uncomfortable.

"Listen. All this talk is nice, but I need proof that you will really help me. If you will give me some token of friendship that would be meaningful for me, then I think that we can make peace, friend."

"What, exactly, will peace with you profit us, I wonder? Why would we need to give you a token. We were preparing to beat you in battle, you know. :sceptic:

But because I'm so nice and always help poor people in need..." I dig into my cart and hand him one gold coin. :head_back:

What a kind soul I am! I think.

"Erdy, try giving him your bone in exchange for the steak!" :moar:

Uh, oh! I hope you're not expecting us to hand over the "all seeing eye" or whatever it was called, that Scuba turned over to the dragon. :look:

A symbol of the peace between us? Here I think this just may help. Erdy hands the Merman 25 gold coins, as well as 1 water bomb for his defense.

When Eugene comes back with our hero, we will have him take you to wherever it is you need to go, and you may just have to bear with him, he can be a bit grouchy at times, but he means well.

Now, to deal with the ostrich Raiders (that is what they are) we should probably head out early the next morning, that will give us a good chance to attack them before they can do much.

A symbol of the peace between us? Here I think this just may help. Erdy hands the Merman 25 gold coins, as well as 1 water bomb for his defense.

When Eugene comes back with our hero, we will have him take you to wherever it is you need to go, and you may just have to bear with him, he can be a bit grouchy at times, but he means well.

Now, to deal with the ostrich Raiders (that is what they are) we should probably head out early the next morning, that will give us a good chance to attack them before they can do much.

"You forgot to mention the steak," :look:

"As far as the 'Ostrich Raiders' are concerned, why don't we just go and take them out now instead of dilly-dallying around here. It is rather tiresome, you know. What exactly do we gain by giving Mr. Taily these presents?" :sceptic:

merman-icon.jpg

"I have no use of your gold and I can do more damage with my tail than your water bomb. If you have no item that will prove to me your loyalties than I'm afraid we cannot be at peace with each other."

Hint: Its an item you've found during this quest that so far has not shown of any use :wink:

Well, perhaps you would be interested in this Piece of Dirt That Changed The Universe?

*cough*what would dirt help a water-dwelling being*cough* try harder :tongue:

"Here, try this 'Magic Viper Skin.' It's fantastic, I tell you. You'll love it. It'll restore your health when you're lacking it...hmm...actually, I may get a good price for it in the market..."

Suddenly, a new idea comes to mind.

"That's a thought! Hey, mister, I've got the perfect gift for you. Check out this ol' hand that I found down yonder. It's fantastic, really! It doesn't look like much from close, but really, the greyness of it causes enemies to believe that it's enchanted. You will be feared all throughout the country and no one will want to mess with you. Just think, they won't even want to come close to you...the enemies that is...I heard it's really popular with the ladies, but I wouldn't advise that you try it out on them for another few hours, until we are far, far away from this place. You know, it takes time for the...effect to properly transfer from one owner to another. So, what do you say? Is it a deal? Steak, please!"

"Monk, stop playing around. I believe the best item we could give" Erdy pauses, opens her backpack, and pulls something out."Is this." She hands the Merman the bronze statue. "Is that good?"

"Playing around!" I scoff. "This is a genuine offer and one of possibly great value to him. Think of the benefits? It may not seem advantageous to us, but to him it could mean the world, or the water beside it, but nevermind all that. I had thought to possibly give him a paralyzing venom, since it will help him in case he is ever outnumbered again. He could paralyze a couple of his enemies and then take them out one at a time instead of attempting to defeat them all at once. I'm just not sure what such a being will do with such a powerful poison."

"Monk, stop playing around. I believe the best item we could give" Erdy pauses, opens her backpack, and pulls something out."Is this." She hands the Merman the bronze statue. "Is that good?"

The merman gasps and clutches the statue.

merman-icon.jpg

"It is the son of Neron and Neredice." He whispered in awe. "He is most holy among our race. He had the ability to switch between human, and merman form. This statue has been missing for nearly 3 decades. Thank you." He bows to Erdy and nods his head to Adam. "I don't know where you found this, but it is a true sign of friendship between humans and mermans. When I return to my home I shall tell of your kindness, heroes of --?"

Edited by Flare

We are Monk Pretzel, and Erdathcath Madilinas, and we come from the Halls of Heroica. Perhaps someday our young friend Adam here will join us as well.

"That figures. I should have known that he would go for that graven image, :facepalm: being a heathen and all. Between you and me, I'd rather he takes it. Wouldn't want it to bring a curse on us...you know how these things can be.

Mr. Merman, any chance you could hand over that steak of yours? It does look rather delectable."

"Oh, and Water Man, I'm still offering you the rotten hand if you will. It really is very powerful you know...used correctly. It suits you!"

merman-icon.jpg

"I shall mention the name of the Heroes of Heroica when I return home."

"That figures. I should have known that he would go for that graven image, :facepalm: being a heathen and all. Between you and me, I'd rather he takes it. Wouldn't want it to bring a curse on us...you know how these things can be.

Mr. Merman, any chance you could hand over that steak of yours? It does look rather delectable."

"Oh, and Water Man, I'm still offering you the rotten hand if you will. It really is very powerful you know...used correctly. It suits you!"

The rotten hand has been left behind, Adam dropped it in the dirt back at the valley :wink:

merman-icon.jpg

"Yes, I have no need of this meat if I shall be going soon. Here you go." He tosses the steak to Pretzel.

steak.jpgSteak (WP:1, instantly kills vampires, suitable for all classes)

Party:

untitled-15.png

Monk Pretzel

Level 12.5 Cleric

Light-Elemental

Inventory: Cross (Nimbus Broomstick; Ranged; WP: 5), Steak (WP:1, instantly kills vampires, suitable for all classes), Grand Potion (3), Potion (2), Tonic, Grand Tonic (2), Remedy, Soma, Phoenix Essence, Deadly Venom, 2 Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Commerz Cannonball, Scroll of Sealing, Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, 3 Gold Bars, Magic Shovel
(will always find
something
, Magic Viper Skin

Erdathcath Madilinas
*party leader*

Level 18 Druid
*lucky*
*immune to petrify*

lucky

Inventory: Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, Suitable to rangers, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Helmet (+1 max. health), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 3 Mead, 1 Smelling Salts, 15 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 1 Fire Bomb, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, 1 Paralyzing Venom, 1 Grand Tonic, Bone, skeleton decoy, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Saber teeth, Scroll of Weakening, Ruby, The Piece of Dirt That Changed The Universe, Demon Frog Essence

adam.jpg

Adam

Level 21 1/3 Berserker

About 5 minutes later Eugene arrives with Sarge, the new hero to join them.

eugene-icon.jpg

"Hey guys! Ooh, a merman, nice to meet you sir." He bows to the merman. He turns back to the rest of the party: "Here is your new acquaintance! Sarge Mcency or something like that... anyways he's a really nice fellow, get to know him and yeah stuff whateverz."

Welcome Sarge to the quest :wink:

Party:

untitled-15.png

Monk Pretzel

Level 12.5 Cleric

Light-Elemental

Inventory: Cross (Nimbus Broomstick; Ranged; WP: 5), Steak (WP:1, instantly kills vampires, suitable for all classes), Grand Potion (3), Potion (2), Tonic, Grand Tonic (2), Remedy, Soma, Phoenix Essence, Deadly Venom, 2 Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Commerz Cannonball, Scroll of Sealing, Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, 3 Gold Bars, Magic Shovel
(will always find
something
, Magic Viper Skin

Erdathcath Madilinas
*party leader*

Level 18 Druid
*lucky*
*immune to petrify*

lucky

Inventory: Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, Suitable to rangers, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Helmet (+1 max. health), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 3 Mead, 1 Smelling Salts, 15 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 1 Fire Bomb, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, 1 Paralyzing Venom, 1 Grand Tonic, Bone, skeleton decoy, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Saber teeth, Scroll of Weakening, Ruby, The Piece of Dirt That Changed The Universe, Demon Frog Essence

ava-jon.jpg

Cpt Jon. Mcency
(Skyrimguy)

Level 8 Rogue

Power:

Health:
15/15

Gold:

Equipment:
Demonic Scissors (
WP:13,
fire
, damages two enemies in one turn, daggers),
Metal Teeth (Headgear, Power +1)

Inventory:
Amethyst (
Darkness
), Bedroll, Potions x2
, Venom, Deadly Venom

adam.jpg

Adam

Level 21 1/3 Berserker

Edited by Flare