Flare

Heroica RPG - Quest #42: The Meaning Of It All

adam.jpg

Adam is disgusted by the hand. He exclaims: "Ew! No thanks, Monkie." And drops the hand back into the dirt. He turns to Erdathcath and asks: "Do you think you could draw your desired path onto the map?"

Erdy takes hold of the map, pulls out some spare paint, and somewhat successfully paints in her course. Upon completion she explains it. "The blue shows where we will travel from our current location towards the power trees, the green, from the power trees to Shelbric, and lastly the pink from Shelbric back to the Doctor's house."

8198073235_694a24cb88_m.jpg

adam.jpg

"Ok, so we'll sort of be on the road some of the time but off-road most of the time? We still might bump into the ostrich raiders, you know. Or we could bump into other villains or beasts."

"You know, I've been thinking, it may be a lot easier to just take the road to Shelbric and then pass by the "Power Tree" place on our way back. I don't know what the terrain is like ahead, but it may be difficult to wheel my cart if we start going off-road. I think let's just go straight on to Shelbric since we will, likely enough encounter those "Ostrich Raiders" anyway. Besides, it would make things easier..." For QM.

"Alright then..." I reply somewhat hesitantly. "Adam, be a lad and help an old man pull his luggage. Be careful not to spill or damage anything in any way. There are valuable scrolls in there that have taken years to translate and copy. Actually, maybe it's best if I just pull it after all. As the saying goes, 'never trust a barbarian with a fragile object.'...um...right." :look:

"So, Erdy, methinks we have a long day's journey ahead of us. What tales have you to tell us? How long have you been at Heroica? I would ask Adam, but he seems a little...frozen in the head, if you will."

Erdy, Pretzel, and Adam start to travel eastwards. In the late afternoon, while they are walking through some fields Adam stops and motions to the other heroes to be silent.

16.jpg

adam.jpg

"I think I see someone back there in that pond..."

The party carefully makes their way over to the pond. To their surprise, they find no normal human being. They find...

17.jpg

adam.jpg

"It must be a mermaid!" Adam gasps. "I wonder how she got here, I'm sure no merpeople live in the ponds of Eubric..."

Adam thinks really hard and whispers: "You know, we might've made a wrong turn. We might actually be at the ocean. But still, I haven't heard of merpeople coming to the shores of our island."

The mermaid has not noticed the party yet, it appears to be intently peering into the water for something, as if something was lost.

Edited by Flare

"Evil spirits! Run, Erdy! Run while you still can! You too Adam. Danger! Danger! Danger!" I dart back up the hill, but slip and fall landing in the earth. "What a lousy guide we have!" I grunt while trying to pick myself up again.

"Monk, calm yourself. I am sure there is an explanation for everything. Now we can either be too cautious and leave the poor soul, or we could see if she needs our help. I say we ask her what she is looking for." Erdathcath walks up to the mermaid, and taps her on the shoulder then asks "Is there anything we can help you with?"

"Fine," I respond huffily, "but she turns on you, I am not going to come to your rescue." I watch the proceedings from my hidden vantage point behind my cart. Getting hungry, I nibble on a pretzel.

"Monk, calm yourself. I am sure there is an explanation for everything. Now we can either be too cautious and leave the poor soul, or we could see if she needs our help. I say we ask her what she is looking for." Erdathcath walks up to the mermaid, and taps her on the shoulder then asks "Is there anything we can help you with?"

Erdy touches the mermaid on the shoulder and speaks kinds comfortable. The mermaid quickly turns around, and...

18.jpg

Its not a mermaid.

merman-icon.jpg

"RAAAAARRARAAAAAWWWWRRAGGGHGHHHHHHHWWWRHHH!!!!!"

The merman screams at the top of his lungs into the face of Erdy, who takes a step or two back. Pretzel cowers behind his cart. Adam flinches and stands still.

merman-icon.jpg

"LEAVE ME BE, HUMANS!! YOU SHALL NOT ENSLAVE ME!!!!!!!! I KNEW YOU WOULD COME BACK TO KILL ME ONCE YOU REALIZED THAT ONE OF YOUR MEN AND ONE OF YOUR COWS HAD BEEN KILLED BY ME! IF YOU HAD NOT KIDNAPPED ME FROM MY HOME I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS, BUT IT SEEMS THAT YOUR DEATHS IS THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE TO MINE!!!!"

The merman grunts and pants heavily and looks ferociously at Erdy. He lunges with his trident and Erdy jumps out of the way.

Prepare for battle!

Enemy:

merman-icon.jpg

Merman

Type: Humanoid, Aquatic

Level: 30

Health: 456/456

Special:
For Diplomacy's Sake
- The merman heals himself with 100 health and gives the party a chance to speak with him. 50/50 chance that additional enemy will be summoned.

Drops: Steak, Aquamarine

Note: Immune to all negative effects. All attacks pierce through SP.

Party:

untitled-15.png

Monk Pretzel

Level 12.5 Cleric

Power: 22

Defense: 5

Health: 22/22

Ether: 20/20

Gold: 122

Equipment: Staff of Malbert (WP:10,
Light-Elemental
), Tricorn (Artifact; SP:3), Ethereal Cloak (Artifact; SP:2, Max Ether +4)

Inventory: Cross (Nimbus Broomstick; Ranged; WP: 5), Grand Potion (3), Potion (2), Tonic, Grand Tonic (2), Remedy, Soma, Phoenix Essence, Deadly Venom, 2 Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Commerz Cannonball, Scroll of Sealing, Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, 3 Gold Bars, Magic Shovel
(will always find
something
when used, limited to three uses per quest)
, Magic Viper Skin

7658311678_af277ff22a_t.jpg

Erdathcath Madilinas
*party leader*

Level 18 Druid
*lucky*
*immune to petrify*

Power: 28

Health: 32/32

Ether: 21/21

Gold: 452

Equipment: Tritech Handcannon (WP:10), Satchel of Awesomeness (bodywear, causes
lucky
effect), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify)

Inventory: Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, Suitable to rangers, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Helmet (+1 max. health), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 3 Mead, 1 Smelling Salts, 15 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 1 Fire Bomb, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, 1 Paralyzing Venom, 1 Grand Tonic, Bone, skeleton decoy, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Saber teeth, Scroll of Weakening, Ruby, The Piece of Dirt That Changed The Universe, Bronze Statue, Demon Frog Essence

adam.jpg

Adam
(NPC - controlled by The_Customizer)

Level 21 1/3 Berserker

Power: 30

Health: 40/40

Gold: 0

Equipment: Regular Standard Ordinary Sword (WP:9)

Inventory: nothing

Erdathcath quickly applies a venom to her hand cannon. Then speaks to the Merman,"Friend, perhaps you should hold your trident, we mean no harm, we simply managed to come across here by accident, and were simply seeking to help you if needed. Perhaps instead of fighting, we could become friends?"

"LEAVE ME BE, HUMANS!! YOU SHALL NOT ENSLAVE ME!!!!!!!! I KNEW YOU WOULD COME BACK TO KILL ME ONCE YOU REALIZED THAT ONE OF YOUR MEN AND ONE OF YOUR COWS HAD BEEN KILLED BY ME! IF YOU HAD NOT KIDNAPPED ME FROM MY HOME I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS, BUT IT SEEMS THAT YOUR DEATHS IS THE ONLY ALTERNATIVE TO MINE!!!!"

*huh*:wacko: !

"You see, Erdy, I told you it was not a good idea to approach her/him. It's always good to listen to your elders, they have more experience in such matters, you know. Damn this devil! 'Taily' creatures can only be bad news.

"Erdy, why don't you use your quick bow this round. First use your scroll to weaken him and then shoot him, or, if 'God' doesn't like that, you should maybe hand your scroll to me, since my strikes are not as powerful as yours. I really think weakening him would be a good idea though. Do you think I should seal him? If not, I'll strike him from the back row."

Proposed Battle Order and Actions:

Erdy weakens Merman

Pretzel seals Merman or (go to end)

If allowed, Erdy attacks Merman with Quick Bow (Back Row)

Adam attacks Merman (Front Row)

Pretzel heals Adam if he's at 10 health, otherwise, he attacks from the front row if Merman is weakened or from the back row if he's not.

"I would have you know though that if we had just minded our own business and ignored him, we could be happy on our way." :hmpf_bad:

"Alternatively, I could "envenomate" Adam's blade. :shrug_confused:

Erdy: The battle has started so applying venom counts as a turn, and you can't speak to him because he's in a battle frenzy :wink: You'll only have the chance to speak with him if you are hit by his special.

Erdathcath quickly applies a venom to her hand cannon. Then speaks to the Merman,"Friend, perhaps you should hold your trident, we mean no harm, we simply managed to come across here by accident, and were simply seeking to help you if needed. Perhaps instead of fighting, we could become friends?"

Battle Order??

eugene-icon.jpg

"Hey! There you guys are! I left your new hero buddy over at the valley so I'll go grab him and bring him here. Eeks whats this, a battle!?"

With that the genie zooms away at top speeds.

Edited by Flare

"Since Erdy seems mute of mouth, I think I'll just go ahead. There's not much that can go horribly wrong with these battle orders and actions. I hope she doesn't mind."

Battle Order:

Erdathcath weakens Merman

Pretzel Seals Merman

Eric attacks Merman (Front Row)

Oh, forgot about the venom then.

Ready to fight, Erdy sets up the battle order.

Battle Order

Erdathcath Attacks the Merman.

Monk (Probably just attack him)

Adam attacks the Merman.

"No, Erdathcath, weaken him! Why take more damage than necessary when we are only facing one enemy. Let's not put ourselves into a difficult situation for no reason. Of course, it's your choice, but if you don't want to weaken him then hand me the scroll and let me do it instead."

I continue with my plan of sealing the Merman and hope that Erdy will change her mind and weaken him or hand me the scroll of weakening.

Merman Battle Round One

Erdathcath weakens Merman - success

Pretzel seals Merman - success

Adam vs. Merman - Defended Counter

Erdy and Monk successfully weaken and seal the Merman. Adam is hit with 15 damage but strikes back at the fishy foe with a hit of 9 damage.

Enemy:

merman-icon.jpg

Merman
*weakened*
*sealed*

Type: Humanoid, Aquatic

Level: 30

Health: 447/456

Special:
For Diplomacy's Sake
- The merman heals himself with 100 health and gives the party a chance to speak with him. 50/50 chance that additional enemy will be summoned.

Drops: Steak, Aquamarine

Note: Immune to all negative effects. All attacks pierce through SP.

Party:

untitled-15.png

Monk Pretzel

Level 12.5 Cleric

Power: 22

Defense: 5

Health: 22/22

Ether: 20/20

Gold: 122

Equipment: Staff of Malbert (WP:10,
Light-Elemental
), Tricorn (Artifact; SP:3), Ethereal Cloak (Artifact; SP:2, Max Ether +4)

Inventory: Cross (Nimbus Broomstick; Ranged; WP: 5), Grand Potion (3), Potion (2), Tonic, Grand Tonic (2), Remedy, Soma, Phoenix Essence, Deadly Venom, 2 Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Commerz Cannonball, Scroll of Sealing, Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, 3 Gold Bars, Magic Shovel
(will always find
something
when used, limited to three uses per quest)
, Magic Viper Skin

7658311678_af277ff22a_t.jpg

Erdathcath Madilinas
*party leader*

Level 18 Druid
*lucky*
*immune to petrify*

Power: 28

Health: 32/32

Ether: 21/21

Gold: 452

Equipment: Tritech Handcannon (WP:10), Satchel of Awesomeness (bodywear, causes
lucky
effect), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify)

Inventory: Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, Suitable to rangers, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Helmet (+1 max. health), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 3 Mead, 1 Smelling Salts, 15 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 1 Fire Bomb, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, 1 Paralyzing Venom, 1 Grand Tonic, Bone, skeleton decoy, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Saber teeth, Scroll of Weakening, Ruby, The Piece of Dirt That Changed The Universe, Bronze Statue, Demon Frog Essence

adam.jpg

Adam
(NPC - controlled by The_Customizer)

Level 21 1/3 Berserker

Power: 30

Health: 25/40

Gold: 0

Equipment: Regular Standard Ordinary Sword (WP:9)

Inventory: nothing

Question: Is the weakening and sealing for the whole battle or only for three rounds?

Battle order and actions, please! :sweet:

Three rounds, I believe.

I attack the Merman from the Front Row)

Don't know if there's a lot to say here, but I don't really see any reason why somebody would do something other than this:

Battle Order:

Adam: Merman (Front Row)

Erdy: Merman (Back Row)

Pretzel: Merman (Front Row)