Sign in to follow this  
Cooper Works

GP-1 BLACKJACK

This is the first in a series of Mech’s, or as I call them, GP’s “Ground Pounders”. I’ve been working on this project for awhile now and so glad to finally get it out there! The theme I have is based in WW2 and rooted out of Detroit Michigan! I plan on running with this theme with three other GP’s in the shop! I hope you enjoy this project as I know I sure am! Thanks for looking!

Designed in SR3D / Bricks = 566 / Brickarms = 13 9/.03 MACHINE GUNS 4/U-CLIPS

7762301904_a777ff011a_z.jpg

TECHNICAL DATA WAR DEPARTMENT

No. 9-775 Washington, May 15, 1942

Light Walker GP-1 “BLACKJACK”

Built by Jeff Churill “AKA Cooper Works”

Prepared under the direction of

The chief of ordinance

(With the cooperation of the Cooper Works Company Detroit, MI)

Description

The light GP-1 “Ground Powder” is an armored walker vehicle, designed for scouting and light support. It’s powered by twin 163hp Jeep 4 cylinder supercharged engines, liquid cooled, straight head side valve type engines. The engines are located in two separate nacelles below the main chase, which power two separate LHS (Leg Hydraulic System), one for each leg. The pilot operates the vehicle with two levers, much like a typical tank would operate. The walker is equipment with radio/ interphone, and equipped with a 10-ft periscope. The main chase has 0.5 inch front and side armor.

Crew

A crew of two is position in the main chase, the driver in the forward lower chase, and the commander-spotter - gunner in the upper chase.

Armament

The main chase has 4 side nacelles housing eight .30 caliber machine guns, with 1000 rounds for each gun. Additionally with one pivot mount .30 caliber machine gun for the commander position.

Tabulated Data

General

Weight……………………………………29,950

Width……………………………………..12-ft

Length……………………………….…..18-ft

Height…………………………….……..20-ft

Engines¬

2 Jeep 2.2L Engines (Supercharged)

Rated horsepower………………….163 hp at 2800 rpm

Number of cylinders……………….. 4 cyl, side valves

Weight of engine…………………….510 lb (1020 lb total)

Armament

8 gun, machine, cal. .30, M1919A4 ( chase hard mount)

1 gun, machine, cal. .30, M1919A4 ( upper chase pivot mount)

Armor

0.3 inch front and side armor on the main chase.

Performance

Maximum sustained speed on hard road…..…….40 mph

Cross-country speeds for various terrains…..…..5 to 40 mph

Maximum leap over ditch…………………….………..…15-ft

Maximum step over vertical objects…….………….10-ft

Maximum grade……………………………………………….25-deg

Maximum water depth…………………………………….15-ft

[A. G. 062.11 (5-14-42)

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF WAR:

G. C. MARSHALL

Chief of Staff.

Official:

J.A. Ulio,

Major General,

The Adjutant General.

7048880205_3620a4c8e9.jpg

Back Story

John Cooper “Cooper Works”

A Detroit native, John spent the first part of his life working in and around the automotive industry. John always had a passion for Cars and aircraft, and after the great depression started his own company called Cooper Works. His business specialized in developing new components for the automotive and aircraft industries. His company soon was working closely with Garr Wood and James Doolittle, both speed demons, Garr with powerboats and James with seaplanes. John help developed new components to give these two an edge over their racing competitors.

At a chance meeting with Doolittle, he met Howard Hughes, and after some short conversation, they realize how much they thought alike! They soon developed a great working relationship. Howard often came to John to help develop and build key components to his aircraft designs.

During one visit to LA while having launch with Howard, Howard discusses a radically new concept for the Army. He called them “Ground Pounders” or GP’s. Howard talked about tanks and jeeps with no tracks or wheels, but rather legs and feet! John and his curiosity ask Howard to sketch up his ideas on a napkin. John asked him does he have plans to build these. Howard said no, not anytime soon, aircraft are my thing now!

7762529138_e06dacc259_m.jpg

A few years past when WWII hit America! John while going through his desk came upon Howards sketch’s of the Ground Pounders. Wanting to do his part for the war, John encouraged Howard on building the GP’s, and offered to help anyway he could. Again Howard said no and that he needed to concentrate on aircraft, but if you think you’re up to taking on the project entirely, maybe we could work something out. It didn’t take long before John had Howard’s support, and had his shop cleared out for his first full scale project. The GP’s!!

7762306232_e5b28cd900_z.jpg

SCOUT MOD

7762304292_174b37837d_z.jpg

COMBAT READY MOD

7762303704_05d59ce3a8_z.jpg

7762302442_bf5793621f_z.jpg

FULL CUSTOM DECAL INTERIOR

7762306722_5c1ab55748_z.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

7762301312_3ec84c9d4a_z.jpg

More on my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/59215333@N03/7762306232/

Edited by Cooper Works

AWESOME just smegging AWESOME 'Cooper Works', this is what we can call sci-fi.....has that 1940's Amazing Stories feel to it ! :excited:

Please more.....one of the best mecha's in a long time......Brick On Fight On 'Cooper Works' ! :moar:

Edit - have you considered putting this up on Cuusoo ?

Edited by lightningtiger

Absolutely fantastic, well detailed with a lot of information :thumbup:

Edit - have you considered putting this up on Cuusoo ?

I agree with lightningtiger, have you any idea to put it on CUUSO? :wink:

Those legs are exceptionally well done :thumbup: ! It shows that you've put a lot of work into the decals, and presentation; they both add a lot to an already great MOC.

Just wow! Love the feet and inside; especially the brown is a nice touch. Too bad that side piece is still studded, since the rest is just so smooth.

Other than that; again wow. Can't wait to see those other 'Ground Pounders'. :laugh:

Wow.

Simply wow.

I remember seeing the LDD version of this, and I remember it was fantastic. And I imagined it would look great in real life.... but the amount of decals you added is just ... phenomenal. It takes this from a great MOC to an epic MOC. :wub:

Really well done. Another trait of an awesome build is sense of scale. This feels huge. The lack of studs and the overall hefty feel of this moc makes it feel much larger than it really is.

And the feet are just incredible. Though it feels with all this size - it would be carrying some crazy missle or cannon on it's back/shoulder.

now this is a really cool MOC! i like the WWII kinda feeling... however...

from a millitary point of view, IMO, i would have to question the survivability of the design. it's incredibly vulnerable to Air-to-surface rockets or airplane guns. it has a massive backside that may be well armored but it's a serious blind spot and i guess it only takes a bigger gun to tear it apart... Attack this one from behind, i'd say, and they'll never know what hit him... It's also BIG! How is this thing going to hide for enemies? it's not as if you park this between a couple of trees and put a couple of leaves over it...

i would also add some radar equipement, even though primitive, cos i do see this model as a support ship for infantry, but i don't see this as a scout. imo, it doens't have the means to do much scouting.

i also have to question the "walker - option". many people just LOVE armed walkers (and actually, i like them too), but i just can't see the benefit of legs compared to wheels or tracked vehicles in general. why would this walker for instance, be easier and cheaper to produce and maintain, especially in the field, than tracked vehicles? I don't really see this walker do any better in the Ardennes, than the average tank, in terms of mobility and flexibilty...

still, i'd love to see the next models.

you should do some dioramas... makes it a bit less theoretical, and a bit more realistic...

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :cry_happy:

It was tempting to load it up with rocks, bombs, missile's, laser cannons and radar.....LOL, but I wanted to keep it light as a scout should be. My next GP has more room for good stuff!!

considered putting this up on Cuusoo

As nice as the legs are and they do function, it's a pain in the butt to move them. That would sadly kill any hopes for Cuusoo.

Those legs are exceptionally well done :thumbup: ! It shows that you've put a lot of work into the decals, and presentation; they both add a lot to an already great MOC

Thank. I do plan on really running with this theme, and maybe, hoping, others will too. So this was part of the plan!

Say, nice legs! I love all the amount of detail with the custom decals.

Thanks, Custom decals where fun to do! I'm looking into now on selling theme sheets with tons of decals on each.

I remember seeing the LDD version of this, and I remember it was fantastic. And I imagined it would look great in real life.... but the amount of decals you added is just ... phenomenal. It takes this from a great MOC to an epic MOC.

Wow thanks. Hard to beleive that was like in April....LOL

I hear you...thank god it's not in the real word but rather Lego world.

WOO! Dieselpunk! I love this kinda stuff. It's a fantastically built MOC, and I love your story behind it. Was this for the Brickarms Mech contest?

On a sidenote, I find the name "Ground Pounder" Ironic. 'Cause that's what the Marines and Navy call the Army, at least here in the US.

WOO! Dieselpunk! I love this kinda stuff. It's a fantastically built MOC, and I love your story behind it. Was this for the Brickarms Mech contest?

On a sidenote, I find the name "Ground Pounder" Ironic. 'Cause that's what the Marines and Navy call the Army, at least here in the US.

Thanks I really put some thought into, which I find to be the best part!

Yep it's for Brickarms Mech contest? Note per the rules, this was posted here after I posted it on Brickarms!

"Ground Pounder" Thanks for noticing....I was in the U.S. Navy so I know the term. Fitting I think!

Dieselpunk...I like that!

Thanks I really put some thought into, which I find to be the best part!

Yep it's for Brickarms Mech contest? Note per the rules, this was posted here after I posted it on Brickarms!

"Ground Pounder" Thanks for noticing....I was in the U.S. Navy so I know the term. Fitting I think!

Dieselpunk...I like that!

Look up Dieselpunk, man. After this, I'm pretty sure that you'll enjoy the theme.

It's nice to meet a comrade (sorta. I enlist this time next year).

Truly amazing! it reminds me to some machines of metal slug, or a precursor to a "metal gear" and of course, star wars walkers, a deadly combination of some great themes placed in the WWII, I love it!

Edited by Nom Carver

The legs and feet on that thing are so sweet! I like the attention to detail with all the fiddly bits on the feet and Legs, The 50 Cal. on it are placed just right and you can just see this on the battle field! Great Build!

I think you hit a really great balance between a historical WWII feel and a fantasy/futuristic feel (or, as someone else stated, a pre-mechwarrior feel). The coloring and style are great. It even feels like it has the right weight as you described. A previous post questioned the use of such a weapon during WWII, and while the post is probably (from a technical and realistic perspective) right, I still think this really works especially if you think of it as the early designs of / precursors to future weaponry (as in mechwarriors and Star Wars). By the way, I also love the decals; the two playing cards on the side were a really nice touch. Thanks for sharing!

Hey thanks everyone! it's my first project since getting back into Lego.....loving it!!!

Look up Dieselpunk, man. After this, I'm pretty sure that you'll enjoy the theme.

I see what you are saying! Some pretty slick out there! Great ideas!

Wow I made THE BROTHERS BRICKS!!! What an honor!!

Brother Bricks

Edited by Cooper Works

from a millitary point of view, IMO, i would have to question the survivability of the design. it's incredibly vulnerable to Air-to-surface rockets or airplane guns. it has a massive backside that may be well armored but it's a serious blind spot and i guess it only takes a bigger gun to tear it apart... Attack this one from behind, i'd say, and they'll never know what hit him... It's also BIG! How is this thing going to hide for enemies? it's not as if you park this between a couple of trees and put a couple of leaves over it...

i would also add some radar equipement, even though primitive, cos i do see this model as a support ship for infantry, but i don't see this as a scout. imo, it doens't have the means to do much scouting.

i also have to question the "walker - option". many people just LOVE armed walkers (and actually, i like them too), but i just can't see the benefit of legs compared to wheels or tracked vehicles in general. why would this walker for instance, be easier and cheaper to produce and maintain, especially in the field, than tracked vehicles? I don't really see this walker do any better in the Ardennes, than the average tank, in terms of mobility and flexibilty...

still, i'd love to see the next models.

you should do some dioramas... makes it a bit less theoretical, and a bit more realistic...

That's exactly why walkers have never taken off in real world armed forces. However, this is subject to Rule of Cool, and is a winner in my book.