Ebak

Set Duplicates

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hey guys.

I recently purchased and enjoying the LEGO set, 9496 - Desert Skiff. It is by far one of the best Lego representations of a Star Wars vehicle I have seen since I got back into Lego since June time of last year.

I kive the Skiff set so much, and I am hopefully going to get Jabbas Palace before the year is out (if I can get the overtime at my work place to afford splashing out on it).

I suppose within the next few years we could see the release of a redesigned Sail Barge. As we all know in the film there were two skiffs that accompanied the Sail Barge and I have big plans for dioramas once I move into a bigger place. As such I am thinking about buying the skiff set again. I could probably make some of the money back selling off the figures and the spare parts from the extra sarlacc could go into making it bigger, plus it gives me a second skiff to deck out with random wequay and other employees of Jabbas criminal empire.

My question is..is this a good idea?

Furthermore, are there any sets you can recall that you liked well enough that you considered or even did buy a second copy of the model for your own displays? I keep hearing that the Geonosian Starfighter from last year was a favorite to get twice.

The Imperial V-Wing Starfighter, because there were two that accompanied Palpatines Shuttle in Episode 3, and I wanted to recreate that scene.

There are a few sets I bought several of, mostly BPs and those mostly for the figs (though the Imperial Dropship is a very nice little ship, makes me wish now I had got more than two of it even), besides that, I've got two V-Wings from the 2006 line. I don't quite recall my reasoning for that though and one of them has been disassembled for ages.

As for buying a second Skiff, if you're going to build a Pit of Carkoon diorama, I'd recommend it. It'll give you two identical skiffs to accurately recreate the scene and if Bricklink is any indication, selling the figs could get you half the price back. The only problem I could see is if a hypothetical new Sail Barge set comes with a skiff itself, like the last one did, though te design would likely be different to the current set.

I don't usually pick up doubles, as I mostly collect sets for the minfigs. The planet sets, however, I get quite a few of, because of the nice quality of the ships and cheapness. Those are great for army builders!

I've gotten doubles (and more) of several BPs and have contemplated doubles of The Imperial V-wing, and I think a double of the Skiff would be appropriate, as there were two of them, and having just released the Jabba's palace, a new sail barge is probably not in the foreseeable future. And besides having two of something for recreation, some sets of which multiples are gotten is because of their pieces for use as part packs, for resale, or for their minifigs for armies.

I've got two 9492 Tie Fighters so they can flank Vader's fighter. However, one is still boxed, as I don't have enough space (for any more Lego). At least the skiff is fairly cheap. Get one and keep it boxed until you know what you're doing, and you can always sell it if needs be.

I buy duplicates of battle packs and some other sets to keep sealed. To me, Lego is one of those products where it never hurts to have more than one of the same thing. You can build it as a duplicate or build it into something else entirely. Meanwhile, other collectibles like action figures can get boring if you have two copies of the same figure.

I also buy duplicates for minifigures or for scenes recreation so I have:

2x 7654 for droids

4x 7655 for clones

2x 7659 for stormies and to build 1 ship from 2

4x 7667 for stormies

2x 7668 for rebels

2x 7748 to get 2 vehicles

2x 8083 for Hoth rebels

2x 8084 for snowtroopers

And that's all :grin:

Don't want to sound too sour but I think the release of Jabba's Palace makes it LESS likely to see a new version of the Sail Barge, not more. It's another huge hunk of plastic for parents to shell out for - if they've already bought the Palace in recent memory, they won't want to pay for a set which is essentially the same concept, but now with sails.

I also buy duplicates of sets I really like or are interesting because of the Minifigs. I have bought multiple sets of the imperial dropship, imperial landing craft and recently 3x the UCS imperial shuttle.

Sometimes I also buy sets for on the shelfs and reselling.

Edited by OneSnowTrooper

I don't really see a problem with getting multiples of a set. Duplicates of a model can come in handy when you're trying to build a larger scene. I'm still hoping to save up some cash for some duplicates of the X-Wing and TIE-fighter myself, i find myself really liking those two models. But there are some other models on my wishing list too, so the duplicates will have to wait...

I buy multiples as well ( to a slightly lesser degree than Mutley though.) It all depends on what you are looking for. If you're collecting one of every minifig, for example, it would not behoove you to pick up duplicates. I think there are a number of good reasons to pick uo duplicates ( depending on your cash flow):

1.) army building - at $10-$12 for 4 figs and sometimes even a speeder bike, this can be a real bargain.

2.) Parts - there are some sets that are a good value for great pieces (Medieval Marketplace & Diagon Alley) or if you're looking for specific parts (I picked up 10 blacksmiths shops since it would have cost me $4 for the weapons alone plus 2 figs and a chicken and bucket!!!)

3.) Clearance - There are sets I have purchased duplicates of just because they were dirt cheap.

4.) Dioramas - this is my biggest reason for picking up duplicates. I want to build a Rebel base someday, so I need 6 X-Wings, 6 B-wings (6 is the arbitrary number I've decided on since 12 is just ridiculous) and I need the troopers and personnel to man the base, along with Imperial walkers and troops to invade. My main thought when purchasing now is "How will this help my ability to build scenes" so, while the new TOR sets are really cool, I'm never going to use them in my builds, so I'd rather pick up Jabba's Palace or another skiff or 6 more Endor battlepacks.

It all depends on what YOU want to do with them.

Hi I'm new,

The new Jabba's Palace is great for duplicates and a very affordable way to build up a collection of tan and dark tan bricks. I currently have 4 of the set and I wouldn't rule out buying more. I have only kept the figures from one set and by reselling the duplicate minifigs I actually get most of the money back, say about $120-130 out of the $150 purchase price. The only duplicate figure I'm not selling is the Gamorean Guard as I really want an army of these guys to fill my super sized Jabba's palace, hopefully post some pics soon.

I get set duplicates all the time, both Star Wars and otherwise - well, when my financial circumstances permit it, anyway. Any LEGO set can be good for parts, so I'll buy any set when it's a really good deal (sales and clearances), as well as just getting as many as I like of a set if it has enough parts of particular interest to me in multiples (Stormtrooper minifigure elements being one obvious example, but it can also be standard bricks of particular shapes or colors, etc.). Referring to my Peeron set list, my LEGO Star Wars set inventory includes:

7201 Final Duel II x24

7668 Rebel Scout Speeder x12

8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack x11

7667 Imperial Dropship x8

7139 Ewok Attack x6

7111 Droid Fighter x6

4476 Jabba's Prize x5

7113 Tusken Raider Encounter x4

8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack x4

7749 Echo Base x4

7250 Clone Scout Walker x4

7657 AT-ST x4

6205 V-Wing Fighter x3

8031 V-19 Torrent x3

7119 Twin-Pod Cloud Car x3

7146 TIE Fighter x3

4477 T-16 Skyhopper x3

4500 Rebel Snowspeeder x3

8089 Hoth Wampa Cave x3

7655 Clone Troopers Battle Pack x3

6212 X-wing Fighter x2

30051 X-Wing Fighter x2

7263 TIE Fighter x2

4479 TIE Bomber x2

20019 Slave I x2

7163 Republic Gunship x2

7121 Naboo Swamp x2

4501 Mos Eisley Cantina x2

6966 Mini Jedi Starfighter x2

6967 Mini ARC Fighter x2

4488 MINI Millennium Falcon x2

4486 MINI AT-ST & Snowspeeder x2

20018 MINI AT-AT Walker x2

4489 MINI AT-AT x2

7204 Jedi Defense II x2

7143 Jedi Starfighter x2

4480 Jabba's Palace x2

7166 Imperial Shuttle x2

30005 Imperial Speeder Bike x2

7127 Imperial AT-ST x2

7666 Hoth Rebel Base x2

4481 Hailfire Droid x2

7115 Gungan Patrol x2

7200 Final Duel I x2

7106 Droid Escape x2

7252 Droid Tri-Fighter x2

3343 2 Battle Droids and Command Officer (Star Wars #4) x2

... without counting things like reissues with only minor or no differences and different set numbers (7140 and 7142, for example, of which I have one apiece).

I may even update this list with a new purchase today. :wink:

I think its a good idea, I have the same idea as I am hoping to buy a second one as well, I have already made almost all of the skiff and sailbarge guards using the skiffguards website for reference so can't wait to have a second skiff to display them on.

Blondie-Wan that is one hell of a collection even without the doubles :laugh:

I have doubled on the new skiff as well, new jabbas palace, jangos slave 1, recent bobas slave 1 and many sets of the old tusken set so much I've lost count :tongue:

Blondie-Wan that is one hell of a collection even without the doubles :laugh:

Thanks, but it's not nearly complete. I still don't have any minifigure-scale version of the Millennium Falcon, for example; I desperately wanted 10179, but was never able to get it. I do intend to MOC my own versions of all vehicles, but doing so using lots of parts (and some design ideas, here and there) from official sets, and I very much wanted to make a Falcon using parts of 10179 (both design concepts and actual pieces). Oh, well. I will get the current version (7965), but my own final MOC'ed Falcon will undoubtedly look a lot less like the set than it would have looked like the UCS one if I'd gotten that.

I don't get everything I want because I just can't afford to; the main reason I have so much as I do is because I do my best to take advantage of various sales and clearances. See those 24 copies of 7201 Final Duel II I have? Most of them came from a clearance at Kay*Bee Toys several years ago; I picked up a bunch of them for less than eighty cents apiece (!). There are several items on my list of duplicates for which I've never once bought a single copy at full MSRP, but instead scooped up a bunch of them when they were on sale.

As it turns out I never did wind up getting any more Star Wars sets the day I posted that, but I think I might today. :)

Edited by Blondie-Wan

More sets=More parts

More parts=More building

More building=More fun

Therefore, by the transitive property of equality, More sets=More fun.

Yes,I do like math.

Thanks, but it's not nearly complete. I still don't have any minifigure-scale version of the Millennium Falcon, for example; I desperately wanted 10179, but was never able to get it. I do intend to MOC my own versions of all vehicles, but doing so using lots of parts (and some design ideas, here and there) from official sets, and I very much wanted to make a Falcon using parts of 10179 (both design concepts and actual pieces). Oh, well. I will get the current version (7965), but my own final MOC'ed Falcon will undoubtedly look a lot less like the set than it would have looked like the UCS one if I'd gotten that.

I don't get everything I want because I just can't afford to; the main reason I have so much as I do is because I do my best to take advantage of various sales and clearances. See those 24 copies of 7201 Final Duel II I have? Most of them came from a clearance at Kay*Bee Toys several years ago; I picked up a bunch of them for less than eighty cents apiece (!). There are several items on my list of duplicates for which I've never once bought a single copy at full MSRP, but instead scooped up a bunch of them when they were on sale.

As it turns out I never did wind up getting any more Star Wars sets the day I posted that, but I think I might today. :)

I ended up getting thirty Final Duel II myself from Kay-bee for the Stormies and Imp Officers at $3.33 a piece. Those were the days....

I definitely plan on buying multiples of sets in the future, for parts, or if I just really like em. I've bought several battlepacks in the past, for army building purposes, and I hope to grab some of the bigger military vehicles from ebay/ bricklink soon. With the characters that I only need one of, those can be sold, or just customized. I currently have 3 Saesee Tinns, two from his fighter that I plan on buying several of and recoloring. So when it comes to duplicate sets, the more the merrier :sweet:

-'Skintas

I have never bought multiples of a set for the reason that I do not want to spend money on a set I already have. :sadnew: You have to manage your spending, you know. :poke:

As a collector i like sets MISB. Not wanting to miss the fun of building up and admiring the sets on the shelf, i use to buy multiples of some specific sets. It goes without saying that battle packs do qualify for multiples but a few starships do as well. Owning a Falcon for example - which is a must have for any serious (L)SW fan - one simply must have built it up. To have one 'highly valuable' MISB duplicate is very satisfying. Of course multiples of OT-starfighters is pretty nice for dogfight dioramas, too.

Overall it's just nice to have. However, i still prefer a multiple of a good set to having some other additional which i myself don't like at all.