Fugazi

The Unofficial LEGO Collectors Guide RAFFLE

Congrats to the lucky raffle winners! Most of all, I enjoyed reading what others think of their most wanted sets, and actually searching around for the answers. This way I did learn something new about LEGO and it was enjoyable. Thanks for holding this raffle!

Although there are only a few winners of the DVD downloads...

To all you runners up... drop me an EMAIL (I checked the Site Guidelines and I couldn't find a no-no to EMAILs)... send me an EMAIL, you may be glad you did..... default_blink.gif istokg AT earthlink DOT net

Here's a collage of images from the the DVD/download of 50 years of LEGO figures....

7777054110_25b76f4f18_b.jpg

^ Can't seem to get the "Allowed Sender" form to work. :(

Legobrandon.... it works... everyone just goes to my Spamblocker... which I do check and move to my regular mail box. default_classic.gif

Well, I'm in the process of getting an ISBN number (required for Amazon and Barnes & Nobles sales)... and have been reading up on selling E-Books and DVDs.

One piece of advice I was given "about E-Books" was DO NOT PRICE YOUR PRODUCT ABOVE $5.99, for maximum sales potential.

So I am going to try this out as a test.... anyone who was a runner up and want a "similar" copy of my download... at that price, please EMAIL me at: istokg@earthlink.net

Also, here are 2 E-Book images that I like (one non-LEGO related)... which do you like better?? The E-Book experts said that the cover MUST be eye catching....

7834629538_42bc95391d_b.jpg

OR..... this LEGO related image....

7834678634_2afae6bfa8_b.jpg

????

Edited by LEGO Historian

Congrats to the winners :thumbup:

@LEGO Historian: I prefer the second cover, the first just doesn't shout LEGO

@LEGO Historian

The second cover, I think, really talks to the target audience, but I think the first has more artistic merit for a general eye catching "Notice ME!" sort of effect for the general public. On the flip side, you risk having real AFOLs looking at that one and probably thinking along the same lines I do when I see the local news having a cute girl in a bikini reading the weather report even though she can't even spell "inclement" let alone "meteorology".

If you could somehow reproduce the visual effect of the first one rendered as a LEGO mosaic of translucent tiles and cheese wedges (even if they were just placed sideways, unsecured on a sheet of lucite for photography purposes) it would add a touch of LEGO authenticity to the image and might give you the best of both worlds. It's still the sexy blond in a bikini reading the news, but at least the girl is a 'real' news anchor not a spokesmodel.

If you could somehow reproduce the visual effect of the first one rendered as a LEGO mosaic of translucent tiles and cheese wedges (even if they were just placed sideways, unsecured on a sheet of lucite for photography purposes) it would add a touch of LEGO authenticity to the image and might give you the best of both worlds.

I agree, it could look great.

The second one do not seem very appealing to me. But if there was some border around the photos to make it more elaborated than just photos pasted on black background, it would probably be better ;)

I agree, it could look great.

The second one do not seem very appealing to me. But if there was some border around the photos to make it more elaborated than just photos pasted on black background, it would probably be better ;)

Thanks for all the comments folks... the tile/wedge idea sounds nice... but it loses something when I try to implement it in translation. I don't think it'll have the same effect as the 800 year old North Rose Window of Chartres Cathedral in France.

But putting a frame around the boxes is not a bad idea at all....

Those of you who ordered the DVD downloads... the instructions will be going out tonight. You will enjoy them! default_classic.gif

Well thanks for all the feedback folks... I was also testing out a low price E-Book version of the LEGO DVD, to see the reactions... and get some feedback. In a few days the special E-Book price will go back up to its' normal level... and the specials will be at an end... fair warning....default_blink.gif

Well I was investigating converting my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-1990s) to a KINDLE book to sell on Amazon.com... I was reading thru the tutorial and all was going great until I read that "all Kindle Books have to be 50MB or less".... OoooooooooooKaaaaaaaaay.... that means that at 688MB my (6000 images) 2800 page 73 Chapter guide would have to be split up into 14 Kindle Books!!!!!!!

Well so much for Kindle.... in order to make it all one Kindle Book... all my 6000 images would have to be postage stamp size! default_sick.gif

So I guess that the guide will have to stay as a Computer Desktop E-Book. It only takes 6-15 minutes to download, so I don't fully understand the Kindle extreme limitations... although I guess most Kindle books must be mainly text.

Oh well... splitting the book into 14 Kindle Books at 5 chapters per Kindle (at a minimum of $2.99 ea) would bring the price to over $40!

You can get it for a lot less than that on Ebay as 1 E-Book volume! default_blink.gif

Thanks for all the comments folks... the tile/wedge idea sounds nice... but it loses something when I try to implement it in translation. I don't think it'll have the same effect as the 800 year old North Rose Window of Chartres Cathedral in France.

I love that window (and to those who haven't seen it in person, you should; you'll be astounded. It's one of those things whose beauty you can't capture properly in a photograph, like mountains or sunsets or fireworks)! To be frank, I love that town, but the window is obviously one of the more noteworthy parts of it (as is anything within the cathedral, obviously). I'm thrilled to see that you're considering it for your cover! I say you should definitely use that one! =D

I love that window (and to those who haven't seen it in person, you should; you'll be astounded. It's one of those things whose beauty you can't capture properly in a photograph, like mountains or sunsets or fireworks)! To be frank, I love that town, but the window is obviously one of the more noteworthy parts of it (as is anything within the cathedral, obviously). I'm thrilled to see that you're considering it for your cover! I say you should definitely use that one! =D

Thanks!! I've already had placards printed with that window image... the North Rose at Chartres Cathedral donated circa 1230 by Blanche of Castile (reigning widowed mother while St. Louis IX King of France was still in his minority). Unfortunately, although I have been to France twice, I've not been to Chartes (even though it's only 35 miles from Paris). It's the most spectacular church in the world for medieval stained glass... with 176 surviving medieval windows.... and the north rose is my favorite, although the south rose there... and the north and south roses at Notre Dame are way up there as well....