Sign in to follow this  
Bobsy

[LDD] Throne of Babylon

7735443722_dfbd0c2c96.jpg

Throne of Babylon by bobsy26, on Flickr

As with everything I do in LDD, this is a work in progress.

I'm trying to create projects in LDD that conform to TLG's criteria of themed sets, with an appropriate piece count and number of minifigs (though I may be pushing it with 4). An approximate cost for this set would be £29.99. Piece count is 361. I've included a basic but functional action feature in the form of a trapdoor on the tower's first floor, but more appealing to me is the modular nature of the set - the tower detatches from the throne room and can be reattached on the other side. And similar to the recent Kingdom's Joust set, buying two of these means you can link it all together into one larger palace complex (albeit one with two thrones and no door).

As for the theme? I'll expand on the wider concept another time, suffice it to say the fig on the right is a time travelling thief trying to steal from the King of Babylon (or King of Persia, I still can't decide which he is. Considering there is no crown piece I much like, it makes no real difference). I used dark blue highlights wherever possible, to give the place the impression of wealth in lapis lazuli, as well as a welcome splash of colour among all the tan bricks. There's also a fair amount of gold, also to make it look rich and opulent.

(One notable error in the LDD2PovRay process is the 1x1 clip on top of the throne, which has randomly rotated 90 degrees)

So yeah. What do y'all think?

Nice one, Bobsy! :thumbup: It looks like a set that TLG would officially release. Are ya gonna put it on CUUSOO? 

(By the way, the render looks fantastic).

Nice one, Bobsy! :thumbup: It looks like a set that TLG would officially release. Are ya gonna put it on CUUSOO? 

(By the way, the render looks fantastic).

The render does indeed look aces, but that's all down to Hrontos's fantastic app, not me!

No, I don't think this will go to Cuusoo, as it's part of a whole theme I'm devising for the sake of it, not a standalone set as Cuusoo's for. I am trying to make a submission for Cuusoo, but it's extremely tough going. Hopefully it will be worth it when I'm done.

Very cool build, I like your concept for the theme :thumbup: The throne area has a lot of nice details too :classic:

Eventually I'll get a shot of the back of the model, to give a better view of the crenelations. You can mostly see them from behind in that first picture, which isn't the best view. I'm also considering changing the bricks from the 1x2 bricks with studs on both long sides to 2 1x1 bricks with only one side-stud. Not sure yet which would look better.

My computer isn't exactly ideal for rendering these so they take a while, and there are more shots I'd like to take than hours in the day. Hey ho.

Oh, also, anyone have thoughts about the red thing next to the throne? Can you tell what it's meant to be, or does it just look a little... odd?