NiceBloke

LEGO Collection rescued from rubbish tip

Hi,

I was lucky enough to be handed a box full to the brim with Lego, a mixed collection of sets. It was rescued on it's way to the rubbish dump! Seriously, who dumps Lego? At the very least it should be donated.

Anyway, the person that gave it to me said that the plastic box had been wet and all the instructions which were in there got ruined and he threw them away. I recognise some parts as Bionicle and others as Technic, but is there a way I can work out what the sets were so I can see if I want to rebuild them?

I'm not a huge Lego freak like everyone on here (that's a compliment), so I don't really know where to start. Any tips would be great.

I've attached a photo I took of all the Lego once the kids got their hands on it.

Thanks in advance.

post-19287-13443594772885.jpg

The big wheel in the center is from one of these sets.

Thanks Vincent, I'll take a look at those and see if I can narrow it down more

The brown boat in the bottom left corner is from one of these sets. Theres seventeen on that list though!

Edited by charlieboy

It also looks like you have a Technic Turntable: top base

Also, an M:Tron piece, that was only in 3 sets

a wing plate that was only in 2 sets

and a 10 degree slope brick 6 x 8 in dark gray or with shingles or with sheet-metal pattern.

If you separate the bricks and plates out, the remaining pieces would be the easiest to use to identify sets, especially minifigs or other parts with printing or stickers.

If you separate the bricks and plates out, the remaining pieces would be the easiest to use to identify sets, especially minifigs or other parts with printing or stickers.

Thanks for everyone's input - you've already given me loads to look at. I took another couple of photos, but I haven't been able to attach them (global upload quota). I'm trying to find somewhere to host them so I can link to them.

Edit: Ok, let's test this - can you guys see this picture? Pic1.jpg

Edited by NiceBloke

That are indeed nice parts!!! Before the TLG dark ages of jack stone ;)

The flame number bricks are from one of two RC car sets 5599 or 5600 but unless there's an RC car base and RC controller, it's not a full set.

And i'm sure i saw a rope bridge in the first pic up top, so Vincent Kessels wasn't entirely wrong. Also a small brown boat, and the redbeard pirate torso/head leads me to think it's either 6278 or 6292.

The two yellow thrusters are from technic set 8250 or 8299 (both the same i think) and that links to the two printed Cylinder Halves in the 2nd pic.

If you go to lego.com you can download .pdf instructions.

I discovered 2 motors in the pile with a battery pack. Now I've added the battery they both work fine. I'm guessing they're from some Technic set

Yet another photo

I have the parts to build 8808 (a couple of stand-ins of alternative colours), but the instructions online are such low-res that I can't make it all out :(

Edited by NiceBloke

A few more:

Gorelaxx was right with the cylinder halves, as well as the yellow tail with sticker on it is from 8250 Search Sub.

The white 3x1 slope piece with the coastguard sticker on it, and the 2x1 printed gas pump piece (Octan) are from 6338 Hurricane Harbour.

The white 2x4 tile with Ferrari sticker is from 2556 Ferrari F1 Model Team set.

The Trans Blue garage door section is from 6 sets, which use 6 or more pieces.

Good luck!

I discovered 2 motors in the pile with a battery pack. Now I've added the battery they both work fine. I'm guessing they're from some Technic set

Yet another photo

Edit: Oh, I see one of them is from 8808 F1 Racer as legomaniac83 suggested above

The black battery box is used in 10 sets.

The mini 9V motor came in 25 sets or these 10 sets. Depends on what the weight of it is.

The other 9V motor came in 16 sets.

The black electric wire with Brick came in 6 sets.

You might be able to cross-reference some to see what sets exactly they go with.

One you determine what piece is from what set, plug the set number into Peeron and it will give you a parts list and most of the time downloadable instructions.

Edited by legomaniac83

One you determine what piece is from what set, plug the set number into Peeron and it will give you a parts list and most of the time downloadable instructions.

Why would he need to go to Peeron for a parts list when he could just click on the "Inv" button on Bricklink next to the set number? As for instructions, I've found the links on Brickset.com to LEGO to be the most useful. Honestly, I almost never go to Peeron, the combination of Bricklink and Brickset work just fine.

Why would he need to go to Peeron for a parts list when he could just click on the "Inv" button on Bricklink next to the set number? As for instructions, I've found the links on Brickset.com to LEGO to be the most useful. Honestly, I almost never go to Peeron, the combination of Bricklink and Brickset work just fine.

He could do that as well. It was a suggestion as I use Peeron. I find it easier and a clean layout. Just because YOU don't go there, doesn't mean others don't.

You could of suggested your idea as well instead of writing it in the form of a condescending question. :thumbdown:

Edited by legomaniac83

I prefer Peeron as well, because it has alphabetical by part instead of color; and I find Peeron to be easier to navigate, with a less cluttered layout. However, at least for set #6494, Peeron/PICSL seems to be the only option for instructions, since LEGO.com does not have the PDF.

Back on topic though:

The chainsaw is in 16 sets, (17 if you count set #1722 seperate like Peeron does)

The green BIONICLE mask is in 2 versions of 1 set and the head connector would be from the same set.

The gold Throwing Disk may have been a random design that came in a regular set or in a supplementary pack

The yellow stickered Technic seat is only in 1 set

The blue magnet holder tile is in 2 sets

The raised platform is in 8 sets

The Islanders shield is in 9 sets

The white flag is in 65 sets

The blue flag is in 57 sets

The red antenna is in 37 sets

The trans-neon-green windscreen and other UFO parts are from a 6915 Warp Wing Fighter

The printed black windscreen suggests you have parts from a 6155 Deep Sea Predator (as does the bendy arm with the claw and the mailbox with the blue magnet holder)

Ok watching you guys do the Lego Archaeology is both scary and fascinating at the same time. *huh*