ZCerberus

Elemental Mayhem! Challenge IV Entry

totally awesome stuff, I really love how the tower is tilting, extremely well done, as always ...

And you don't already have Helm's Deep in your possession why? Discouraged by, yet completely amazed by this gorgeous build. Also I would like to see better pics of the microbuild. I really can't make it out. Other than that I will say that I saw the lights underneath the erupting hands. It's dim but once you see it, it really adds to the magical power that is the Earth Elemental. The bar has been raised quite far...

HAHA!!! Man, the qualities of entries and builds of historica get knocked up a notch every time you post!!! Excellent job. I will give a more detailed feedback in a few days when I have more time.

The facial expressions on the figs are great. The elemental is great. I'm not a fan of the close proximity of the tower to the houses. It makes the scene really crowded. The power function vid does not make up for it. The fire has no explanation. The scene would be much better without the tower. I can't see a microscale scene anywhere? I don't like the way you did the gabbles on the homes. I have a personal preference on those. The scense of terror you achieved is amazing. That has to be my most favorite part.

I'm not a fan of the close proximity of the tower to the houses. It makes the scene really crowded. The power function vid does not make up for it.

I agree to an extent that it is a bit crowded. I moved the tower and a couple of the houses in the build to open it up but there were certain sacrifices I had to make to get the power functions and the details in. Agree to disagree on if the power functions makes up for it!

The fire has no explanation.

The fire mostly exists so the light bricks can be used in the fire effect. I figured if the elemental broke the base of the tower with the vines or caved in the earth below the tower, any sort of lantern, fire place, or cauldron inside or outside the tower could spark a flame. I also didn't show the broken part of the tower either, mostly that was because of the power functions again. Just go with it man!!

I can't see a microscale scene anywhere?

See previous photos above. I retooled them after you were like the 5th person to ask. It is much cleaner now, though I admit the microscale could have used some more work!

It's got moving parts! What more is there to say?

I really like your elemental. I think the head and the body are well done, and I love the way he is shooting the vines into the ground. The building are great, as always, and I love the way the vines are attacking everyone. You've done a great job of showing action with the vines (and....of course the actual action in the video). This is beautiful, and it will be hard to beat.

Using the dungeons and dragons logic, I would say that neither earth nor water elementals would control plants, but I think it makes more sense to say there is a plant essence to the earth elemental, which would explain the plant control. I don't think the water elemental makes any logical sense in the standard fantasy setting. (of course I don't watch Avatar)

Wow!

I'm sort of glad I didn't have time to build for this challenge. I'd be surprised if you didn't win this one, such a great build and even better power functions!

Best of luck buddy!

Wow, what a great build. I think your elemental is my favorite one so far, it is exactly what I would think of with an earth build. You really managed to fit a lot of little details in- I love the fact you used the frog as the nose.

As cool as the power functions is, I actually prefer the build when it isn't moving. While the tower tipping is a nice touch, I think it has enough action and chaos without it.

I loved looking through everyone's homes to see what they were keeping in their attics.

Congrats on the Front page over at Brothers-Brick.com!

Oh sweet! Love that site!

Oh sweet! Love that site!

One of my favorites too. That is two Avalonia builds feature on their site this week. S&C fantastic faery forest was featured a couple days ago as well.

ZC, you never fail to amaze me. And another challenge you will win. To make it short, we already did the critiques: Awesome. The thing that i like most is definitely the hand coming out of the floor - such a great idea :)

Oh, and congrats on getting featured on TBB..

Love this. That guy drinking the terror away, the hand shooting through the floor, hiding under the washtub, so many great details. The elemental is fantastic, and the Power Function use really sets this apart. I can only imagine how hard it is to route and synchronise the LEDs and motors. I love the Rock Monster in the micro too! Amazing stuff!

:classic:

That guy drinking the terror away, the hand shooting through the floor, hiding under the washtub, so many great details.

Thanks. I stuck in as many Easter eggs as I could in those houses...

Besides the ones you mentioned, I also spy a challenge 1 minibuild, some Heroica "dolls", a dragon staff for Ecc, and is that the Elemental Helm??

Wow this build is amazing! I really like the red light, it looks great with the shaking tower. great choice of music :laugh:

I just wanted to say this is one of the most impressive mocs I have seen on this challenge.

Great to have you with us. :classic:

Wowzers - stonkingly great build Z, very inspirational and i'm not at all surprised it got the TBB treatment. :thumbup: The level of detail and life in the scene is amazing, and the power functions really are a showstopper. :wub: The microscale looks neat from the top of the tower too, although i wish you could have found a way to make it more prominent in the main pic. But i guess compromises are inevitable with so much else going on in the build. Oh, and i have to mention the base too - really lovely work and shows it off well! Best of luck! :classic:

Wow this build is amazing! I really like the red light, it looks great with the shaking tower. great choice of music :laugh:

Thank you, yours is also quite lovely and great within the guidelines.

I just wanted to say this is one of the most impressive mocs I have seen on this challenge.

Great to have you with us. :classic:

Thanks Niku. Glad to see you back around the forums!

Wowzers - stonkingly great build Z, very inspirational and i'm not at all surprised it got the TBB treatment. :thumbup: The level of detail and life in the scene is amazing, and the power functions really are a showstopper. :wub: The microscale looks neat from the top of the tower too, although i wish you could have found a way to make it more prominent in the main pic. But i guess compromises are inevitable with so much else going on in the build. Oh, and i have to mention the base too - really lovely work and shows it off well! Best of luck! :classic:

I am not sure what stonkingly means, but I think I should thank you :laugh: . I loved your micro so I was sad to hear you wouldn't be entering. I agree there are some things that could have been improved upon, including the micro, but I was learning the PF stuff on the fly and it really took some time. I figured out how to make the gears do what I wanted, but the real world weight and flex of parts made me have to do some retooling to get everything to work! I also wish the micro was in the main shot, but getting the right angle on this one was tough since it is really viewable on three sides and each side hid a cool feature on a different side. I also now wish I had one static picture of the tower tipping over since I think that would have been fun as well.

Thanks for the comment on the base. I like to do tall bases but this one does have more flair with the recessed details on two of the sides for sure! The height was also necessary to route the gears and cables for the PF!

Brilliant work! I love the elemental. The power function is really subtle and fits well!

Thank you! I had a lot of fun with it. After challenge 4 voting wraps, perhaps I can share a video of the internals of the build.