TheLegoDr

Modular Madness: Library

indexed.gif B-OM-29E

Here is a beautiful library to add to your city lay-out. This was a rushed build last week since the deadline was fast approaching and my parents came to visit. I first tried coming up with ideas when the contest was first announced, but I did a complete overhaul of the top two levels last week. I only have kept the ground floor intact from the beginning. I even changed the color from dark blue to dark red due to lack of pieces.

Without further ado, a library.

Here is the front shot. Not the best pictures were taken due to lighting and my amateur skills.

The large tree out front adds to the historic feel of building district. I modded the streetlight post to resemble another winter village post, only in white. They also have a book return receptacle out front for the after hours readers. I felt the modular series could use another sloped roof building. There is very ornate stone work around the windows with nice slate roofing.

7685990976_976f835ebe_c.jpg

The rear shot of the building. A little stone walkway out the back door will lead you to the park next door. There is a big arch in the middle to add some detail/texture to the back of the facade with more ornate stonework. You can also see the little outdoor reading patio on the upper level.

7685999944_1a8b78b1ee_c.jpg

A close-up of the stone work around the windows (using minifigure legs) and around the edge of the building.

7686005624_5a5d652e77_c.jpg

Another close-up of the front stonework. I am very proud of how this turned out. The funny thing it was not the direction I was going with at all until I fiddled with some pieces and this was born.

7686027472_08b98c7d33_c.jpg

An interior of the ground floor. I didn't have time to finish the interiors for the upper two levels. I am sure I will eventually, just not before the contest ends. It has wooden flooring with a fireplace and bookshelves galore. Also, a bookshelf ladder to reach those really high books.

7686011422_eb82b6fbd0_c.jpg

And here is the flickr account to see some more photos.

I hope everyone enjoys the library. I think it would be a fun place to read a good book. Whenever I finish out some more details I will update as needed. I know it will be after the contest is over, but I hope you like what you see anyway. There is some great competition and I know my work is cut out for me. Keep up the good work everyone. Don't forget to vote.

Nice! I like the colour combinations and the roof terrace. Good luck!

The detail in this bookshop is excellent, but I would've liked more colour variety in the books.

Nice building, I like the look of the front of the building, in particular all of the detailing around the windows. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Great looking library 'TheLegoDr', I like the dark red brick in the mix on the front of this structure ! :classic:

Good luck and Brick On 'TheLegoDr' ! :classic:

Nice library, the stonework on the front facade is excellent :thumbup: The tree and mailbox out front are some other nice details.

Cool bookshelves too :classic:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I wish I would have had/spent more time on the interior. I will definitely add in some more variety in the books on the shelves in the future. After seeing the other bookshop entry, I may have to alter my version of the bookcases.

I was really pleased with the stone work on the front though. Even if I don't win this contest, I am really proud of my entry. I ended up taking apart 10+ sets to build this thing, so I will have to buy all those pieces over again so I can rebuild those other buildings again.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad people enjoyed it. Don't forget to vote :sweet:

This library is a wonderful building. Its facade is one of my best seen so far and fits nicely with other modulars. The gray stone work adds a lot to the building's color scheme. Well done and good luck in the contest.