BearHeart

New 2007 Castle Theme!!

BlueandWhite - why are Canadian Prices the worst in Lego? I didn't know they were! That sucks!

Sting, his comment is totaly wrong, canadian prices are some of the best available around the globe for lego sets. I can witness this as I lived in both Europe and Canada. There's just no comparaison, Canadians win !

Well.....

Not quite.

Compared to Europe, Canadian prices are good.

However, compared to the US, it's a different story. A 20$ US set costs 30$ Canadian. This is a 50% increased in dollars, despite the fact that our dollar is typically 87-92% of the US dollar.

Now, one could argue about different costs to market in Europe, VAT issues, etc etc to explain why Europeans get ripped off, which they do - no dispute.

But, US and Canada are all but identical... why are Canadians getting ripped off compared to the US?

Jipay, I am not sure when you were in Canada last. Until about 3 years ago, our prices were about 33% higher in dollars, while our dollar was about 78-85% of the US. So, that's fair enough.

However, in the last 3 years the Canadian dollar is much stronger, but the our prices are 50% higher than the US in dollars.

But, US and Canada are all but identical... why are Canadians getting ripped off compared to the US?

Surely sales taxes are higher in Canada as you have better health, ed. etc.........

Sting, his comment is totaly wrong, canadian prices are some of the best available around the globe for lego sets. I can witness this as I lived in both Europe and Canada. There's just no comparaison, Canadians win !
Well.....

Not quite.

Compared to Europe, Canadian prices are good.

However, compared to the US, it's a different story. A 20$ US set costs 30$ Canadian. This is a 50% increased in dollars, despite the fact that our dollar is typically 87-92% of the US dollar.

Now, one could argue about different costs to market in Europe, VAT issues, etc etc to explain why Europeans get ripped off, which they do - no dispute.

Jipay, I am not sure when you were in Canada last. Until about 3 years ago, our prices were about 33% higher in dollars, while our dollar was about 78-85% of the US. So, that's fair enough.

However, in the last 3 years the Canadian dollar is much stronger, but the our prices are 50% higher than the US in dollars.

Are we talking about new sets or used sets? Used sets I never thought were that bad... but if we are talking new (I saw someone mention Sales Tax so I assume we are probably talking new), than Canadian sets do seem expensive.

I would have thought that European prices would be much higher, due to proximity to Lego plants/HQ... is there anyway to comapre the two prices?

P.S. I didnt know there were so many Canadians or ex-Canadians (or people who used to live in Canada) on this board. Thats very cool.

wow this is cool. I'll bet that those skeleton horses will be used as thestrals if lego makes more harry potter sets

I agree.

Just color them black and add wings and presto.

Thestral.jpg

BlueandWhite - why are Canadian Prices the worst in Lego? I didn't know they were! That sucks!

I know of a place with price even worse LEGO prices than Canada, unfortunately I also happen to live there...

My comment was aimed at Europe / Canada. I didn't even mentioned the US. And in Europe, eve, if you suppress the VAT our prices are still higher :-)

I just saw this pic and have to say its made my day.

LEGO ARMY OF DARKNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must make my own ASH figure!!!

Matt

Years ago I had a Dungeons & Dragons metal figure set of skeletons and undead. This theme reminds me of it so much, esp with the skeletal horses.

Surely sales taxes are higher in Canada as you have better health, ed. etc.........

HA ha ha ha ha. You have been listening to somebody's propaganda.

We have uniformly acceptable average healthcare and education. We don't have some of the very horrible situations (health or education wise) can you can sometimes find in the US, but can you name one famous Canadian university? And health care..... if you need a scan or an operation, be prepared to wait 2 months for an MRI, 6-12 months for a hip replacment, 1-2 years for coronary bypass. Radiation for cancer.... 2-4 weeks. I wonder if the cancer cells wait around that long before spreading.

I have friends who moved from Canada to US, mostly California, and they say that they can't understand why they pay so much less tax, but services are better, as are public schools....

But, I digress (and rant). I was talking Lego prices pre-tax. Of course I then have to add on 15% afterwards... but I was just talking pre-tax dollars. Taxes don't come into it. That's my my EXTRA bonus that I get to pay. After the 50% ripoff.

By the way, I agree with Phes.... I had a look a few times, and Oz has on average the worst prices I have ever seen for Lego in any civilized country.

If you take a look to the 8813 set 8813-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

it has many old pieces and weapon, is the start point of a new direction (or "old" direction) in castle theme

What do you mean? Other then flared helms and cart wheels, I see nothing that can really be classsified as old.

gylman: Queens, UofT.

And isn't sales tax now 14%?

gylman: Queens, UofT.

And isn't sales tax now 14%?

Indeed! Forgot Steven Harper's microscopic contribution to our tax burden...

Queens... yes, made famous by Letterman I think as being the best party school in Canada. I think they also give a good MBA program

U of Toronto. Yes. It's the biggest university in one of the richest countries in the world. So it should be a great univeristy, no? Fact is, I studied there and I now work there. So, I can say a few things about it. But world class? Nah. Not since Banting and Best invented insulin. It doesn't even rank in top 10 for undergraduate university program. For medical shcool and law school it is still probably best or second best, although how long that will last given the vast amount of oil money being poured into infrastructre out west, is debatable.

You should post as a new message/thread. - Adventure Vehicle. Nice.

You missed the point of that post, he was wondering why the castle gallery, over 24 hrs old, was not public when his 2 hr old MOC one was, which he linked to for proof. Does brickshelf hold off on leaks like some other community sites do? I should hope not, since it's the best way for us to share photos without an account at an all-photo sharing site like photobucket. I've come across the actual BS folder for some new stuff before I found the topics here or elsewhere, so I hope BS is not actively censoring info.

The highlights for me are the mythical aspects.

Even if the skellie arms are droid style the variety might be usefull in mocing somehow. The horse skeletons seems to have pleased everyone, i wonder how many of the horse accessories are compatable?

I think the dragon is the best one since the oriental repaint of the origal design.

Ogel wizard? :-X ... they had better change the face. |-/

Trolls/giants with clubs, ooohh I hope they flesh those out as brick builds.

and as I said in the pirated post of this topic, there is a ship silhouette, let's hope this cog comes to light.

Edit: the new pic has dragon that is too douplo looking.

nooooo! I prefer the ghoul face to the slanted angry eye skulls.

This new picture has reinvigorated my interest! Everything is spot on except for that "Dino Attack" like dragon hanging in the air. I hope that thing doesn't increase the price of this set substantially. >:-(

It also appears that a modified mold of the skeleton arm is being used. As I suggested... ;-)

What I

thats a good enough price....

but i hate that dragon!! it looks like playmobil not lego!!

I really like the look of that pic!. I counted 10 minifigs there (including the skeletons). I also like to return of the greatsword and the classic castle visor on the mounted knight. Im liking the new Castle line even more! *sweet* Thanks for the links, Jindroush!

I may be in the minority, but I feel slightly let down by this newer photo.

As a fan of castle minifigs, rather than most fantasy fare, I'm kind of disappointed that this set is stuffed full of "Skull Knights" at the expense of more useful generic soldiers. I liked the tendency in older lines to dedicate a large set completely to one faction or another. When you look at 6080, or 6086, both of those castles were populated with large numbers of defenders. Sadly, this isn't the case here.

More irksome is the changes made to the barding. The earlier photo had a barding that matched with the new faction symbols, whereas this photo indicates that the barding will use an earlier print. Perhaps this photo is an earlier mock-up for dealer catalogs. Still, if this does turn out to be the final design for the horse's barding, I will be more than a bit disappointed, as we've already seen this design with KKII, year 1. I want the design shown in the previous photo.

(on closer inspection, this photo does appear to be an early design shot. The soldiers look to have Viking torsos, and the suspended Knight actually looks to be wearing a baby-blue kettle helm)

It looks fun...

thats about all i can say.

Why not make a second human faction? You can keep the undead in there also, but i would like to see another human faction. Like the days where TLG would be circulating 3 factions a year for space and castle (and ultimately pirates for a bit) also, i think this shows TLG's newest tendency.... Humans can't fight humans. Some previous examples: Dino-attack, exo-force, new aquaraiders, vikings... no human on human violence.... I wonder if we will ever see it again now that castle is moving away from it. I do think this is a better step then the previous themes.... instead of fighting giant bionicle creatures, at least this new kingdom is fighting hordes of mini-fig scaled baddies. That is a plus. And I suppose TLG can put out new mythical armies to challenge King X. But i think to put out new castles they are going to have to introduce a new human faction... but as we have seen lately TLG hasn't kept a non-licensed theme three years running in a while. (KK2 might have been close?)

The castle looks nice though, i will probably go poor buying one. All in all, it seems to be better than KK so that is a step in the right direction.