L@go

Modular Madness: Petting Zoo

indexed.gif B-OM-30D

Hello, fellow Eurobrickers!

Let me introduce to you my entry into Category 2 of the great Modular Madness competition: The Petting Zoo.

So many people have wanted a Lego zoo for years, so I thought, 'why not cater to everybody's needs'? The problem is that you can hardly fit a proper zoo on a 32x32 baseplate. A petting zoo, however...

So, the zoo contains three small enclosures for a goat, a rabbit and a couple of chickens, and a bigger enclosure, with a tiny grassy hill, for a horse and a cow. It's also got a little cabin that serves as a restroom for the staff. Total piece count: About 1,000 bricks.

7680853548_be59fdbd70_c.jpg

The letters on the pavement should clear away any confusion regarding what's behind those 'brick' brick walls.

7680852436_47af47c9ae_c.jpg

At the gate, visitors are welcomed by an overgrown bunny that seems inexplicably happy to be there.

The sign is made up of a Z and two O's from an official POLIZEI sticker sheet, to comply with the rules.

7680851614_70a06fa400_c.jpg

At the back, there's an entrance to the bigger enclosure, in order to easily get the animals in and out. They're transported back to the farm at the end of each day. To the right, there's a maintenance area.

7680841852_b7365b22f7_c.jpg

The roof of the cabin comes off to reveal a little restroom, a wash basin and a tiny toilet.

7680854940_8067ef9042_c.jpg

And finally, a picture of the zoo between (how fitting!) the two buildings of the Pet Shop. This way, children who have fallen in love with the cute little bunny can pester their parents as they pass the pet shop on their way home...

You can also just see the sweater that one of the employees is wearing - it's designed to fit the pattern of the sign above the entrance. Or vice versa.

Hope you've enjoyed it! I certainly enjoyed building it, it's the first thing I've built to go along with modular buildings that's not a modular building! If that made any sense.

There are more detail images in my Petting Zoo folder on Flickr.

Thanks for watching! And good luck to all other participants in the contest. I'll be posting my Category 3 entry in a few hours :)

That is 1 nice urban zoo! I like the "ZOO" footprint on the walkway! Great use of the Bunny minifig(I have no idea where to use mine!)!

Appropriately you have placed your MOC next to the Pet Shop. ease of convenience in getting pet food and accessories! :thumbup:

All the best!

This petting zoo is an excellent idea. :sweet: I like the use of SNOT pieces to create the "zoo" sign on the pavement and how you used the bunny-suit guy from CMF to make some sort of mascot.

This is great, I like the way you included welfare facilities and also put details on the back aswell. Best of luck! :thumbup:

This is so lovely! So many details even on the back side - really nice executed! :classic:

Good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

I think it looks excellent! Great idea for this category. You really managed to have a lot of details in it, but it is not too much either. I love the little house for the staff! Well done, and good luck in the competition!

Great idea and you carried it out nicely! The entrance with the sign on the sidewalk is excellent :thumbup:

I also like the different lights on the buildings :classic:

Fantastic design and idea 'L@go'.....the 'ZOO' in the sidewalk....pure genius ! :grin:

Good luck and Brick On ! :classic:

Great entry with lots o' details! :classic: Everything's awesome, but for some reason the parts that strike me most are the two buildings in the back corners; the restroom and entrance to the enclosure. They're built so well and fit so perfectly. :thumbup:

You can really tell a lot of thought and work went into this MOC! Best of luck.

Thanks for the nice comments, guys - I'm glad you like it. I was hoping it'd be something people would appreciate - I thought the idea was a nice one, anyway.

Cute! :laugh:

...is not something I normally aim for with my builds, but with this subject I guess it was inevitable :)

Great use of the Bunny minifig(I have no idea where to use mine!)!

I like [snip] how you used the bunny-suit guy from CMF to make some sort of mascot.

This is really nice and it even as a bathroom. Love the bunny fig.

Funny how the bunny (wow, a rhyme) is a favourite - it was just something I thought of along the way. But he does fit perfectly into the scene.

Regarding the bathroom: I figured that there would probably be a lot of entries into Category 3 that would be missing a bathroom, so why not add one to a building where nobody expects one?

I think it looks excellent! Great idea for this category. You really managed to have a lot of details in it, but it is not too much either. I love the little house for the staff! Well done, and good luck in the competition!

Thanks! I considered removing the big black lamp - I still think it might be a bit over the top. An addition that would have been nice, however, would be a small tree on top of that tiny hill. But I thought of it too late.

Edited by L@go

A petting zoo! Would've never thought of that! Really nice job, lot's of great little details (flowers, rear details, toilet). Though what is the piece under the toilet seat? Makes for a nice looking bowl.

Thanks! The toilet is a shameless rip-off of the one found in the Pet Shop, and the piece in question is this one:

4529.jpg?0

- in white. Very useful for that exact purpose.

An addition that would have been nice, however, would be a small tree on top of that tiny hill. But I thought of it too late.

Well I think it looks good the way it is. It is nice to have that space there I think. With a tree perhaps it would be too crowded?

Yeah, that's possible, although without the big black lamppost it might have been OK. Still, I'm happy with it the way it is now :)