Sign in to follow this  
Inconspicuous

Modular Madness: Rhodes Biology Lab (Under Construction)

indexed.gif B-M-08E

Hello everyone!

I wasn't originally planning on entering this contest, but I came up with an idea that I just had to try - a building under construction. Buildings in the city often use elaborate vertical scaffolding to help the renovation process, and I thought a building with said scaffolding would be a natural addition to the Modular Street. I didn't have the time and resources to build it big, so I built it mini!

With no further ado, here's my entry:

The rapid development in biotechnology and DNA sequencing has finally hit Lego City. This old apartment is being transformed into a state-of-the-art biology research lab, and it's nearing completion! Don't mind the scaffolding as you take a look at the brand new Rhodes Biology Lab.

7657425614_f762e561d0_z.jpg

7657427364_655fcc7e71_z.jpg

7657430872_c2213cd87c_z.jpg

All stickers come from official Lego sets. The DNA tile and the brick pattern stickers both come from Spiderman sets, the caution stickers come from Exo-Force, and the "ladder" sticker comes from a Police set.

Thanks for looking!

-Inky

Man, that is superb.

I'm not sure about the cheese slopes at the back door, which is very nice btw, I would think a 1x2 tile would look better.

I'm not in love with it, but it is a very unique and creative idea. The scaffolding looks exactly as it should. Working in miniature can be tricky at times, but what I like about the official minis is the complete lack of stickers. Not that your stickers don't work in this setting. They definitely give off the brick vibe and of course the subject matter of the building with the DNA, but just the use of stickers isn't ideal (in my opinion). I really like the windows using the cheese slopes in that manner. Very smart. And it adds something different with the angled tiled roof instead of the slope bricks.

Other than that, definitely an interesting building. There are a lot of great builds in this contest. Voting will be difficult for sure.

Good luck in the contest. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments and criticism!

I'm not sure about the cheese slopes at the back door, which is very nice btw, I would think a 1x2 tile would look better.

The cheese slopes are supposed to be a small staircase out the back. They also serve as a way of locking in the door, which would otherwise be loose. I agree that they aren't spot on, but nothing else seemed to work well.

Working in miniature can be tricky at times, but what I like about the official minis is the complete lack of stickers.

I agree that the official minis pack in a lot of details without stickers, but I feel like they're almost too crammed because of the limited possibilities with standard pieces. I added in stickers to create the illusion of detail without making everything seem too crammed.

Officially my favorite mini modular entry. :wub:

I love the use of the cheese slopes for the glass and the stickers are so perfect. :thumbup::classic:

Best of luck in the contest.

Interesting design 'Inconspicuous', great windows and the best part is that scaffolding is just the bomb - so realistic ! :grin:

Good luck and Brick On ! :classic: