Sign in to follow this  
MakutaDreadscythe

Hero Factory Modifications

I thought I might as well upload these pictures to show off some modifications I have done to my sets as a guideline to help those who want to mod their sets. Pictures will be put up every now and then, so stay tuned.

"What if Stringer was orange?"

Not a permanent mod, but I've recently got Core Hunter and I just couldn't resist, even if it was short-lived.

img_6042.jpg

img_6043.jpg

img_6044.jpg

Okay, Now onto the more important stuff.

Voltix -

img_6046.jpg

img_6047.jpgimg_6048.jpg

Mainly I just wanted to change the arms so he didn't permanently have to hold his gun or his nonsensical yellow whip. I did extend his legs though just for a bit of consistency.

Stringer -

img_6051.jpg

img_6060.jpgimg_6061.jpg

Credit to _shaddow_ for the gun design. Filled in the back with a blue foot, extended his legs by one stud and changed cladding on his legs.

Core Hunter -

img_6063.jpg

Not much here, just lengthened his arms by one stud length. Seriously, his arms are short.

Stormer XL -

img_6064.jpg

img_6068.jpgimg_6071.jpgimg_6077.jpg

First, I shortened his legs. His arms seemed a bit short and lengthening them looked odd, so I shortened his legs to keep him more at a hero's height and to make his arms look longer. I also added a silver hero chestplate to cover the back more, as well as swap out the wide grey torso for a thinner black torso, giving the dual effect of heightening his shoulders and giving a smoother transition from huge chestplate to arms.

Edited by MakutaDreadscythe

These are some very very nice modifications. I particularly like the orange and black Stringer. He's superb though of course they're all rather good. I like the use of the hero chest armour on Stormer XL's back, especially since it introduces a little more silver into his colour scheme.

I realise that the orange and black Stringer is only temporary but I don't like the use of the grey bone pieces. I think if you ever do a more permanent mod in this style, you should consider going with black bones.

Great modifications. Not sure how necessary I'd consider all of them, but they provide a nice look at how the sets might have been changed.

My favorites are the orange Stringer (I love the blue color scheme, don't get me wrong, but it's an awesome variant), Voltix, and Stormer. Lengthening Voltix's arms and attaching the tubes to his forearms instead of his hands makes the tubing arc very nicely and makes his hands more versatile. I think red hands might have looked better than black ones, though.

Meanwhile, shortening Stormer's legs does improve his overall appearance by shrinking the gaps between his upper and lower leg shells. It also helps his overall proportions. Relative to his body, Stormer's legs are actually fairly proportionate to begin with (moreso than medium-sized heroes like Furno, anyway, since his torso is sized up as well as his legs). But I like the look of the shorter legs. I was already planning to reduce the height of medium-sized heroes like Breez when I get some, but now I know that I can do so with Stormer XL as well without him looking squat or unnatural. Together with the narrower torso beam for his back, which does indeed make his shoulders more proportionate, the overall set starts to look a little less preposterous overall.

Most of the other changes don't really improve the sets quite as much IMO, and I'd rather leave a lot of stuff as-is. But these particular changes in proportion really do go a long way. So I guess I'll be making some Pick-A-Brick orders once I have the summer sets!

Great modifications. Not sure how necessary I'd consider all of them, but they provide a nice look at how the sets might have been changed.

My favorites are the orange Stringer (I love the blue color scheme, don't get me wrong, but it's an awesome variant), Voltix, and Stormer. Lengthening Voltix's arms and attaching the tubes to his forearms instead of his hands makes the tubing arc very nicely and makes his hands more versatile. I think red hands might have looked better than black ones, though.

Meanwhile, shortening Stormer's legs does improve his overall appearance by shrinking the gaps between his upper and lower leg shells. It also helps his overall proportions. Relative to his body, Stormer's legs are actually fairly proportionate to begin with (moreso than medium-sized heroes like Furno, anyway, since his torso is sized up as well as his legs). But I like the look of the shorter legs. I was already planning to reduce the height of medium-sized heroes like Breez when I get some, but now I know that I can do so with Stormer XL as well without him looking squat or unnatural. Together with the narrower torso beam for his back, which does indeed make his shoulders more proportionate, the overall set starts to look a little less preposterous overall.

Most of the other changes don't really improve the sets quite as much IMO, and I'd rather leave a lot of stuff as-is. But these particular changes in proportion really do go a long way. So I guess I'll be making some Pick-A-Brick orders once I have the summer sets!

Regarding the mods, Stringer doesn't seem as necessary at first, but it's a trend I have with the smaller heroes. Besides already shortening the medium heroe's legs, I like to increase the height of smaller heroes by one stud so that the smaller and medium sets are almost the same height and more unified. I'll post a picture when I can.

As for Core Hunter, this is more of a personal mod. I really hate the length of his arms compared to the rest of his body. He looks like a t-rex with those arms...

May I ask where you got 3-length armor pieces in trans orange? Your second Stringer MOD is also awesome! I don't like the Stormer MOD as much though.

May I ask where you got 3-length armor pieces in trans orange? Your second Stringer MOD is also awesome! I don't like the Stormer MOD as much though.

I'm fairly certain that those are the 4M printed shells from Fangz with the longer end turned upwards. It'd be great if 3M transparent fluorescent reddish-orange shells were available, though.

I had the same idea about taking the wires on Voltix and attaching them onto his lower arms. However, I thought about using a pair of black 3M armor bits in place of the red hand pieces, as it would pop out less and fit in with the rest of the arm. Plus, I thought about using silver hands (like in the TV show), and just leaving the spin feature on the whip at the hand. And I never thought about extending his legs with that upper bone piece, though it certainly looks better on him than on Breez.