13 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Finally! I don't know about you, but I've been highly anticipating this baby. Actually I do know about you, you have too :-P I love this thing, but let's get to why:

Set Name: AT-ST

Set Number: 7657

Piece Count: 244

Price: $19.99US

Okay, first let's start off with some pictures of the box. Apparently this is called a 30th anniversary set.

image001rs.jpg

image001rs.jpg

The set comes with a much-anticipated AT-ST driver with new blaster mold!

image014rs.jpg

image015rs.jpg

image016rs.jpg

I love him. Well, I love him, but I'm not in love with him :-P He wasn't as great as I had hoped. I'm sure I can find use for his gun, helmet, and torso though. His head...ech, fleshie as expected.

The instruction manual comes with a list of all parts on the back:

image012rs.jpg

I found the build very easy and straight-forward, even though it included some very smart mechanisms. The whole thing took me about half an hour.

It also included some very interesting and useful pieces, such as

image004rs.jpg

and

image003rs.jpg

and the old turntable actually comes in two separate parts that you snap together! I look at this as a wonderful opportunity to get those parts separate for MOCing ;-)

image005rs.jpg

Now, let's look at the actual machine.

image017rs.jpg

Fearsome, eh? Don't mess with the Empire *vader* (unless you're short and fuzzy that is. In that case by all means go ahead X-D )

image018rs.jpg

I would say this next image was just me being lazy, but to save face, let's say this is the point of view of a fallen rebel soldier, shall we?

image019rs.jpg

Let's start looking at the individual aspects of the set.

First, the legs. This happens to be the greatest area of contention, and critics' greatest gripe with the set. I agree, it wasn't done so well (again, fallen rebel)

image024rs.jpg

The legs can move, but only backwards :-| So this thing can't walk, unless you count moonwalking (and don't bring up that they were on the forest MOON of Endor...)

The light bley disk on the side is held on with a rather simple mechanism:

image006rs.jpg

And they actually hold those little claw things on the back of the legs by inserting them into the short tubes of plates! Definitely not a common official technique...

image011rs.jpg

The feet I love though. Very simple, but beautiful in the simplicity:

image028rs.jpg

(Did I mention all the wonderful bley parts in this set? A Space MOCers dream come true!)

Now that we've moved past the horror that are the legs, let's get to the rest of the horror, er, set. I meant set. I love this set, I really do ;-)

The "head". This has been criticized as being too long, too big, etc. I'd have to agree, but only to an extent. It doesn't look huge in person, it looks right. It looks armored. It only looks bad if you compare it to...well, what it's supposed to look like

The head turns on a rather simple but sweet mechanism of turning a wheel at the back.

image007rs.jpg

image008rs.jpg

(apparently our dying rebel soldier snuck a peek at the plans for the AT-ST? Sneaky devil, musta been a Bothan

I really dislike the eyeflaps. Instead of being the old kind, that would go over cannon emplacements on Pirate ships, they're in the middle of the tile...and can't cover the "eye" completely

image021rs.jpg

Also, the cockpit is rather barren and poorly designed

image030rs.jpg

image032rs.jpg

Though it does include a 'holster' for the blaster

image033rs.jpg

Now for something positive :-D

The head is nicely greebled.

The back:

image025rs.jpg

The top with hatch:

image026rs.jpg

Small missile launcher (IIRC):

image022rs.jpg

Concussion grenade launcher:

image023rs.jpg

The mechanism for the lasers is also really simple, but provides some nice greebling and details:

image009rs.jpg

image010rs.jpg

The instructions are REALLY promoting the battle packs, too...:

image036rs.jpg

image037rs.jpg

Extra pieces:

image013rs.jpg

Again, the might of the Empire *vader*

image034rs.jpg

image035rs.jpg

Overall, I love this set, even though I have a lot of nitpicks and negative things to say about it. It's an amazing bley and dark bley parts pack, the fig is nice, and the gun/helmet are sweet. There are some nice details, and some rare parts. The set is also really nice on it's own, if you don't look at what the AT-ST is supposed to look like (the head IS a little long and thin...)

It's a shame that the legs won't let it really walk, but it's very stable. The head-turning mechanism is also really nice, and allows for some realistic function. Overall, this is leagues beyond the last version, and it's pretty cheep to boot (comparing price to parts. Definitely pick a couple of these babies up, you won't regret it!

Parts: 10

Price: 8

Figs: 7 (another wouldn't have hurt)

Playability: 6 (the head-turning mechanism saved it on this one, but the legs really hurt it...)

Fun: 9

Overall: 8.4

The AT-ST is a must buy for me, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you pick it up. They're fearless warriors of the Empire. Unless...you have some teddy bears with a mission, then they get scared :-P

image038rs.jpg

Gallery when moderated:

here

Larger, higher-res pics

great review! maybe i'll buy this set when it's available, but something tells me i 'll have to be fast :-P :-X

the cockpit needs some serious modding! :-/

btw, what ever happened to the fallen rebel? did he make it? :-P

great review! maybe i'll buy this set when it's available, but something tells me i 'll have to be fast :-P :-X

the cockpit needs some serious modding! :-/

btw, what ever happened to the fallen rebel? did he make it? :-P

I'm afraid not :'-(

And while you were building, you had Eurobricks on your P.C. in the background!

Shhhhhh :-P

Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to share the images. I've got mine on order and should get it this week. I love these AT-STs. The 1st one was one of my favorite SW sets. What I like most about sets like this is the size. You can set up a small scene with a few figs (maybe a Snowspeeder), and you've got a small battle between the forces. The pilot is excellent too.

In any case, this looks like a great set!

Nice review Starwars4J!

I just have to buy 2 of this, mostley for the mini-figs.

But I still thinks that the model is to large and looks a bit wierd.

Is it possible that you can take even better pics of the page with the

pieces of the set?

Thanks in advance!

-Ras-

Super!

The right side is a bit blury, but I think I can live with that

until I buy the set myself ;-)

Thanks!

Nice review and I agree with Ras.

I must have two of these *wub*

KimT

Nice review, thx *y*

But I am definitly not going to buy any of those AT-STs because they don't look any nice in my eyes :'-)

Vaders_son

Great review Mate, love the fallen rebel photos X-D ;-)

Overall this set seems ok but i dont think ill buy more than 1, though i will be raiding BS for more figs ;-)

I'm pretty sure he means BL (bricklink.com)

KimT

No problem. If I have the time today, and my net doesn't go out (we're expecting somewhat of a power outage), expect a review of the surprisingly awesome Grievous fighter, and the greebly goodness of the Y-wing ;-)

Nice review, I am definetly getting one. The reason they are probably promoting the BP so much is that they are not a lot so people will but a ton, which will make Lego a ton of money. I really want the AT-ST. I will probably get one of these, a y-wing, a landing craft, and two of each BP when they come out.

Got mine today and just finished it. I know, I said in another thread I can't afford it. I can't. But I have.

General comments:

- very nice. I'm impressed. Fun build. Smooth cockpit rotation about 90 degrees.

- No controls in the cockpit. Shoudl have a panel or steering wheel or lever or something.

- Blaster: excellent. and the internal clip for it

- PIlot: excellent. Welcome addition to the Imperial ranks

- Cockpit joins hips: instructions not over clear which studs and holes to use. I took a guess and it seems I was right.

- Eye flaps:I like them. Well positioned to look down at the jungle floor

- Where? This is being promoted on box art etc as an Endor set. I don't see why it wouldn't fit perfectly into a Hoth set.

- What could we improve? I'll probably get threatened with being struck down for this, but here goes. The AT-AT had a Luke hanging from it. The MF had a Snow Trooper with a repeating blaster. The AT-St could have done with an Ewok included in the set. Would have increased playability value exponentially

The first MF did not have any *enemy soldiers* - only the rebells at the time they escaped DS I

Oh yeah, I forget about the first MF. It was released before I rediscovered LEGO and having the newer MF in find the old MF is one of the very few sets I have no interest in owning. So I frequently forget it even existed,

Ok, restarting an old thread but I just had to ..... today was the FIRST day you could buy the news sets in the toy stores in Sweden *y* *y*.......... and I did X-D!

The AT-ST is one big MegaBlocker compared to the AT-AT |-/ - very nice build though *y*.

And the Imperial AT-ST Pilot gets a 10/10 rating.

Now RAS & I can make a good Endor-scene to put in our toyshop - we asked the manager to get 3 sets of the AT-ST

Copmike what do you mean by your toyshop? Are Ras74 and you displaying stuff in a toystore in Sweden, and is it your own toyshop?

Morten

Copmike what do you mean by your toyshop? Are Ras74 and you displaying stuff in a toystore in Sweden, and is it your own toyshop?

And can EB members have a discount?