Carbohydrates

MOC: Spite House

indexed.gif B-RM-09A

A spite house is a building made to, well, spite somebody. They were built to obstruct paths and roads, block peoples' views, and otherwise bother people. Since they were mostly built as obstructions and space-occupiers and not actually as liveable residences, they tend to have bizarre shapes as they were designed to fit into various alleys and oddly sized or placed patches of land. My personal favorite is this one, a 7 foot wide 'house' built to keep traffic out of an alley next to the owner's larger neighboring home. You can read more about spite houses here.

This is an 8 stud-wide house built to modular standards. It is fully furnished and absolutely ridiculous: from a minifig's perspective, this house is about 2 meters wide on the inside. It's three stories tall and features staircases, a fully furnished bedroom, kitchen, and living room; wooden siding on the front, and a lovely slate roof and dormer.

k94k5.jpg

JBXTus.jpg

Front entry. This is my favorite image of the bunch, since this part of the house has all of my favorite details: the slate roof, the sided front, and the door!

opmS7s.jpg

The roof, complete with furnace and sewer vent caps and an encased central air unit.

lLiS5s.jpg

Rear patio and flower bed.

sTnG8s.jpg BgSxvs.jpg

The first floor contains the living room, which is furnished with a couch, end table with lamp, wooden shelf, and large TV.

uN0P8s.jpg clxzks.jpg

The kitchen sports a counter with a sink, stove, and microwave; a fridge, a table and chair, and some shelves for cups and glasses.

Bcyu7s.jpg Z8cQts.jpg

The top floor bedroom has a nice bed, a nightstand with a lamp, and a dresser. It's hard to see in the image but the bed's headboard is actually dark gray bordered with dark tan.

QcARbs.jpg ogosBs.jpg

Totally compatible with modular buildings! Laughably tiny! It's the spite house!

This was a really fun "build" once I got past the siding / front door, which I had to re-do two or three times to make it all work. The spite house contains 1,065 pieces (1,067 incl. technic pins to connect it to other modulars).

This looks as a really nice house, despite its name and dimensions. It fits nicely with official modulars and it would be great to see it brick-built. Well done. :thumbup:

Cool house, I have never heard of a spite house before, rather interesting :laugh:

It's a design I haven't seen before, and the sided front and roof details are really good :thumbup:

The interior looks very functional as well, keep up the good work :classic:

I'd never heard of spite houses before today and this got me interested in them! I love your build... the colors are great and you've packed lots of details into a tiny space! This has inspired me to build an 8x of my own. :thumbup:

I'd also love to see this brick-built, as it's really a lovely design. I had a go at a 8x32 modular myself a while ago, and I know how hard it is to fit an interior, but you seems to have succeeded quite well. Great job - now please build it!

EDIT: Inserted link.

Edited by L@go

Many skyscrapers in New York were built taller just so they could block the view from the top office of other skyscrapers.