Sign in to follow this  
Vindice

Who's up for large Moulds?

there are some great comments on here. Perhaps it's time for TLG to coe up with a slightly larger scale figure. That way they can more realistically interpret larger scale figures whilst still giving people that fantastic opportunity to still customize!!

Perhaps someone could do a new mould for a larger scale minifigure as a cuusoo project??

How can we add a poll? Does a mod do this or do I need to?

You need to have done 500 posts in order to do a poll, so as of now you would need a mod to add one for you :classic:

If you really want one I suggest just pm-ing one :thumbup:

I think TLG should see if they can do some medium sized molds, like Hagrid. I don't think they should go bigger than Hulk, but some characters are just bigger than minifig form.

A Hagrid sized scale is a great idea, since not everyone should be as big as the Hulk, but should be bigger than a minifigure.

Hulk: Should always be big, except for the Ferrigno promo Hulk

Thing: Mid-scale

Kingpin: Mid-scale

Venom: Mid-scale, with alot of extra parts, like the upcoming Diamond Select action figure

Colossus: Mid-scale

Juggernaut: Mid-scale, with bulky armor

Blob: Hulk-scale

Abomination: Hulk-scale

Volstagg: Mid-scale

Apocalypse: Mid-scale

I was initially VERY unimpressed when I saw pics of the large Hulk figure. After actually getting my hands on him my opinion changed and I actually really like him. While his articulation is limited (I really wish he had a movable head) I don't think you can have a true Hulk character unless he's bigger than the regular-sized human folk. To me, the minifig version of the Hulk is just silly looking when placed alongside the other Avengers. So I am all for larger figures when appropriate. The idea of a mid-sized figure is certainly intriguing and definitely would have applications, especially for the comic book universe.

I have both versions of Hulk and I think overall I like the larger one. I haven't opened the smaller one yet, so I can't say how much I like that one comparatively. I know my 2 year old daughter loves "the big green guy," if that says anything. She likes to carry him around. And she used to really like the Hagrid figure. I think there should be more Hagrid sized figures.

How can we add a poll? Does a mod do this or do I need to?

I'd have to add one for you. PM me with the specifics of the poll you wish to have and I'll get to it as soon as I can.

My biggest complaint with most minifigures outside the “norm”. Is their lack of pose ability. To me this is one the things the TLG has really let down it users. Droids with rigid legs and arms, short minifigures with rigid legs, Friends minifigures with non movable hands and conjoined legs. This all spills over to the larger figures as well. With non- movable parts. Hulk is great example. I don’t own him but I believe he is like the other of his class and his hands and head are pose able. So LEGO! If you’re listening, get fixed! You make a great toy, now let’s just make that much better. ;)

My biggest complaint with most minifigures outside the “norm”. Is their lack of pose ability. To me this is one the things the TLG has really let down it users. Droids with rigid legs and arms, short minifigures with rigid legs, Friends minifigures with non movable hands and conjoined legs. This all spills over to the larger figures as well. With non- movable parts. Hulk is great example. I don’t own him but I believe he is like the other of his class and his hands and head are pose able. So LEGO! If you’re listening, get fixed! You make a great toy, now let’s just make that much better. ;)

Yea, I mean, it's been 10 years since the first (I think) large mold of the HP Troll, which had one moveable arm. A decade later, we get a fig with two moveable arms and hands. Not much change. Your points are good. I really would love to see the short figs with moveable legs. (Although that might not work.)

As long as the character needs it - too many large moulds make me thing Mega-Bloks, yeuch. I showed a friend who's been out of the LEGO loop for a while a photo of LEGO's Hulk, and he asked if it was a Mega Bloks figure, expressing disappointment.

I think larger minifigure molds like the Hulk or Cave Troll, or even the Giant Troll from LEGO Castle or Giant Rock Monster from LEGO Power Miners, tend to be really nice designs that stay true to the spirit of the minifigure. They keep some aspects mostly minifigure-like, but with their greater size also comes greater detail, just as it should be. While Toth's designs for a "maxifigure" are quite impressive, and I'd love to see large-scale figures become more standardized in that fashion, I don't think those designs would work at all for characters like Hulk or the Cave Troll. The greater detail that comes with the larger size doesn't do any good if those details run counter to the character's iconic design. With both Hulk and the Cave Troll, a part of that is their hunched posture, which Toth's design can't replicate.

So while I think characters like Hulk could still be handled a bit better than they are in the sets, regular minifigures or "scaled-up" minifigures simply would not do.

You know, looking at The Penguin's custom Bane, I wish they would have done him in a similar fashion too.

Another Candidate for a large mold, in my opinion, would be Gorilla Grodd. He could be like the gorillas from Lego Batman 2, possibly with a normal minifig head connection so that we could exchange it for the regular Gorilla head from the CMFs. :sweet:

I tend to like the larger molds, but was torn on the Hulk. I loved figures like the Wampa, cave troll, castle troll, heck even the Harry Potter troll, as pitiful as he was with his one moving arm. It's just that I grew up with Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk, and I didn't feel that such a large figure was necessary, even though he towers over everyone in the comics and the recent movies. I'm thrilled that LEGO gave us a standard minifig Hulk to go with the large Hulk, and I am happy to have both versions in my collection. I do think I could enjoy the large Hulk more though if he had articulated legs. That's my biggest gripe with all the large mold figures. We've grown from a single moving arm, to moving shoulders and wrists. Hopefully we'll eventually get the moving legs these figures seriously need.

I just played the LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Game and I would hug LEGO if they make a Galactus and Sentinel figures in the in-game sale using the BIG torchlight molds. :wink:

The Hulk is hands down my favorite Lego figure. He resides on my desk right in front of my monitor, he's accompanied me to work (I'm an elementary teacher), and he's travelled to exotic locations with me. I love how massive he is and honestly can't imagine Lego doing him any different. The character in the comics stands more than seven feet tall and weighs over 1000 lbs, after all.

Juggernaut isn't merely a muscular man in a magical suit; he's a HUGE man in a magical suit. He's consistently been portrayed as roughly the same size as the Hulk, so a macro figure is in order for him.

Same goes for Abomination and Rhino. And yes, Thing deserves to be that size too. Colossus, OTOH, would work better as a standard mini figure.

As for Thanos, it ultimately depends on how he's portrayed in film. Personally, however, I'd go with macro.

Something like this would be ideal for Apocalypse. I don't think a regular minifigure could do him justice.

SHS351.jpg

This piece would also work pretty well for the cords if he had hollow studs on the back of his arms and belt.

57539.jpg

I agree with Wesker, Apocalypse should definitely be a larger mould, along with Thanos, Doomsday, maybe Brainiac and Darkseid. I think just making them larger just gives off a more imposing feel to them.

According to the Marvel Database:

Hulk stands anywhere from 7" to 8'8" tall and weighs 1,000 to a whopping 2,400 lbs depending on what persona he takes on.

Juggernaut stands 9'5" tall and weighs 1,900 lbs.

Thanos stands 6'7" tall and weighs 985 lbs.

Rhino stands 6'5" tall and weighs 710 lbs.

Things stands 6" tall and weighs 500 lbs. Funny, I thought he was larger than that.

Colossus stands 7'5" tall and weighs 500 lbs in his metal form. However, he's never been depicted as big and beefy like the other characters, just very tall and muscular.

Meanwhile, over in the DC universe:

Darkseid stands a scary 8'9" and weighs 1,815 lbs. That's a lot bigger than I had him pegged for. Although his body is no doubt comprised of much denser matter than a human's.

Doomsday stands 8'10" and weighs 915 lbs.

So yeah, with the exception of Colossus and maybe Thing, I'd say all those guys deserve to be macrofigures.

Edited by Suspsy

I'm not really sure why people are complaining about the lack of swappable parts on the large molded figures. Most of them are large creatures, they aren't minifigure torsos that are easily interchangeable. I couldn't use the Cave Troll head on Hulk, or Hulk's head on the Wampa without it looking really weird (the head and body colors would be WAY off and clash). As for articulation, sure it sucks the legs and heads don't move or turn, but I think their is a reason for this with the legs. Most of the large molded figures are very top heavy and have legs positioned in such a way to optimize balance when not on Lego studs. Even if they could move you probably wouldn't be posing them much anyways. I am not sure why the heads don't turn though, I suppose because some characters might look weird with rotating heads or it's just not possible (Goblin King comes to mind with his hanging chin).

Personally I think Lego has done a great job making the big characters into large molded figures when needed. I think if the character is at least double the size of a normal human and a weird creature with an odd shape, it should be a large molded fig. If they are more tall than bulky it's more of a toss up, like Sauron is tall but not really that bulky so Woody legs would probably would better for him.

Sometimes the big moulds would fall to ground and have a bad equilibrium, if they're not standing on plates. I've wanted Pearl from Spongebob, but if giving her a mould head with normal body, the outcome is predictable.

For characters who should use a newly molded body, there could be a standard to see who really need it. Mostly they're non-human being and natural big creatures. Hagrid is a hybrid. I'm not sure Beast from the Beauty (who would possibly appear in the future) need it since he's between an orc and a human. Still, it depends on its actual design and the playability with Lego bricks and normal minifigures.

Edited by Dorayaki

I am ok with the big figs in concept, I just wish that they were a bit more proportional, as noted above. Cave troll, goblin king, etc. seem ok... But if they are anywhere from 7' ~ 9', shouldn't they just be slightly bigger than a minifig? Not double? That would be my preference. But since they have started down the road using the current established size, seems like that ship has sailed...

In the game, Collosus was a big fig, and it looks right.

Appocalypse also should be made in Big Fig form, as indeed should Juggernaught, Kingpin, Rhino, Blob, Abomination, Thanos, A-Bomb (if he is made) and a retool of Groot.

DC verse, I would like to see Mongo, Ultrahumanite, Kalibak, Atrocitus, Kilowog, Arkillo, Doomsday, Solomon Grundy, Killer Croc and Clayface in Big Fig form. And a Bane! Similar tubing design could be used on the marvel apocalypse fig.