Sign in to follow this  
Vindice

Who's up for large Moulds?

Sorry guys, couldn't find a previous thread on this subject so thought I'd begin one.

I was lucky enough to get a promotional Hulk Minifigure after purchasing the Quinjet in May. This was a present for my son.

He loves the Helicarrier set and is a massive Hulk fan but when he saw the new promotional Hulk his face lit up!

Now he hardly plays with the larger mould. He says he still likes it but he likes having the Hulk in minifig form as it seems more consistent with the others.

My question to everyone else is, do you feel the same?

Will the superhero line in particular spawn more of these large moulds? And do we want it? Or would we prefer to see characters like Juggernaut, Thing, Darkseid, Colossus, and Clayface in minifigure form?

I, personally, like the big Hulk. I like him to be more imposing. I got the minifig Hulk and sold him.

I'm hoping for Fantastic Four sets, and would love the Thing to be like the big Hulk.

Different strokes I guess. At least LEGO gave us the oprion.

I generally prefer characters in the minifig form. Simply for reusability reasons. With the Ironman/promotional Hulk/... figures, you can reassemble the parts into something new. You can't do that with the Wampa/Quinjet Hulk/... Even the Ewok heads/Chewbacca heads/... will always remain that character. I would so have preferred for them to do the latter in minifig format with normal minifig heads and headgear.

Some good points. So what figures would be best done as minifigs and which would be best done as moulds.

Juggernaut

Darkseid

Thing

Clayface

Killer Croc

Colossus

Apocalypse

I was tempted to put in sentinels and galactus but i seriously hope if these were ever done that they would be brickbuilt.

I like the large molds as they're more proportional with the figs. Would the LOTR set the Mines of Moria been as cool with a minifig cave troll? I don't think so. And Hulk wouldn't be as large and imposing if he had been originally released as a fig. I don't want too many large molds, but I think that one or two every year is fine!

Some good points. So what figures would be best done as minifigs and which would be best done as moulds.

Juggernaut

Darkseid

Thing

Clayface

Killer Croc

Colossus

Apocalypse

I was tempted to put in sentinels and galactus but i seriously hope if these were ever done that they would be brickbuilt.

For Thing, a large-scale mold like Hulk's would probably be the best course of action. Others are not always nearly so clear. Take the Juggernaut, for example. Yes, he's massive. Yet he's not a mutant of any sort; he's actually just a really-strong human in magic armor. So I don't think a larger mold for him would work. What may potentially be needed is a new, larger, burlier fig design at about the scale of Harry Potter's Hagrid. The arms and legs of Woody from the Toy Story sets would be good for some purposes, but it only looks tall, not muscular like most superheroes and -villains.

For many of the figs described above, it would largely depend on how each character was interpreted. Clayface, for example, has been depicted anywhere between the size of a normal human and the size of a car.

I'd tend to use normal figs for most of them unless they are significantly larger than any ordinary human could potentially be. Someone with the physique of a bodybuilder would therefore get depicted as a normal fig. Anyone giant-sized, on the other hand, would likely need a new mold.

One final note. Hulk, the LotR Cave Troll, and the Fantasy Castle Giant Troll have begun to introduce a standard for humanoid larger-scale figures, at least for their arms. I hope LEGO continues to make use of this new standard.

While I do like the larger mould of the Hulk, I don't like that his head or hips can't turn. Really limits the pose-ability of the figure.

You would think that they would at least have all the same articulation points as a minifigure.

Clayface should appear as he does in the LEGO games, with plain standard light brown body and legs, and a specially moulded head and torso piece like Chewbacca and the Ewoks have. It is just better to have the visible lines and shapes of his head rather than just a print, and his size would look out of place without a larger body.

416682-normal_lego_clayface_super.jpg

Maybe LEGO could produce swappable hands, with a variety of shapes for him to form, also like in the LEGO game.

Here's my opinion on some of the figs you posted.

Juggernaut- The Juggernaut you could just have bulky armor molded parts on a regular minifig..

Darkseid- I think Darksied would be fine as a normal minifig.

Thing- A new large mold would be better, like Hulk, for the Thing.

Clayface- For a Clayface it would be fine to have the one from the video game(Wookie-like head-and-torso).

I think that if LEGO starts making too many large molded figs they will start to seem more like action figs than LEGO figs.

I really like the big moulds but it is certainly relevant to not only the Character but the version of the character. I certainly think that Juggernaunt and to some extent even Bane should be large moulds. The only thing that sucks about larger figs is the legs, if they were more posable then I think they would be perfect. Apart from the legs issue the large figs are great IMO.

Good idea for a thread. Can we have a poll for this please? :sweet:

I usually prefer minifigs too, but in some cases like the Hulk, I prefer the larger mold. While I don't mind the minifigure form that we're getting, I would also have liked to see Venom done as a large mold. That way his freaky tongue could have been included, and he would have looked like a real threat to Spidey & Friends. As for the ones you listed...

• Juggernaut? Since he has a similar stature to the Hulk, I would say yes.
  • Darkseid? Tough call. He has always been rather big, but not as big as the Hulk, I think, so I'd say no.
  • Thing? No. He's just as big as the rest of the FF, just with thicker skin, so I would like to see a minifig with rock monster arms and perhaps a head/chest mold like Chewbacca's.
  • Clayface? Yes. He tends to be quite huge, so I would like something like the big rock monsters and trolls. This would also allow us to swap his hands for some brick-built weapons.
  • Killer Croc? No. I think the way they did it in the original line was just fine, but he could a Bossk-like head.
  • Colossus? Despite his name, I'd say no. He's not really any taller than other superheroes.
  • Apocalypse? Also no.

And I join you in hoping for a brick-built Sentinel and Galactus, especially if they're anything like BaronSat's MOCs! :drool: Other characters that would come in question:

• Ant/Giant Man: For Ant Man, they could use a microfig or a printed minifig trophy like they did in PotC. As for Giant Man, it would be cool if they could make a large version of a minifig, kinda like those torch lights.
  • Groot: Maybe, although I think something like Woody and Jessie figs would suffice.
  • Sandman (Spider-Man): Yes, same as Clayface.
  • Solomon Grundy: Tough call, although I would say no, mainly because he would be useful for some purist custom zombie figs. :wink:
  • The Abomination: Since he would have to be able to fight the Hulk, yes. Same goes for all the color variations of the Hulk (Red, Gray, etc.).
  • Blob: Since being big is this character's main power, I'd say yes.

There are probably others that I can't think of right now. I'll post them if I think of any more.

I do like the larger figures for monsters - Cave Trolls, Wampas, etc. But, for my tastes, it's a little too big for the Hulk. I'd have preferred Hulk to be about Hagrid size, and I'd like to see more characters in that scale.

But, between the Large Hulk we got and the minifigure Hulk, I'll take Large Hulk. Minifigure is too small.

i don't quite like the current large one-piece mold. first off, it's not modular, and hence you can't use it for anything else. secondly, you can't pose the legs. for something so large, posability is huge. short legs i can understand since you are confined by the mechanics of what's possible and what's not. but a figure that huge and made out of a single mold... just doesn't seem smart. they can't even reuse the mold for anything else. every new character is a new mold. what a waste.

not sure if you've seen alex boudon's template for large® figures. it's basically similar in concept to a minifigure but modularized for larger figures. i think it's great since you can customize your figure to something new. TLC can reuse the mold with different base colors or prints for a new maxifigure. you can use normal minifig heads on the maxifigures. the logic just piles up. it all just make sense.

it also has proportion similar to the minifig and looks aesthetically similar to the minifig. you can tell immediately that it's lego - unlike the current large molded figures which look like a cross between megabloks and action figurines. it's just wrong.

kids are the most discerning consumers and i think your kid knew immediately which he favors though he may not be able to verbalize it. it's quite clear which of the two that kids prefer. my kids are drawn to minifigures too. i really think they should make maxifigures and stop those ugly one-piece molds.

[*]Ant/Giant Man: For Ant Man, they could use a microfig or a printed minifig trophy like they did in PotC.

There's a good chance of that happening, if Lego still has the license with Marvel when Antman comes out.

I absolutely LOVE the larger figures. I love them so much so, that I plan on trying to collect the other larger scale figures. I do agree that more articulation should have been included with the Hulk. If Lego were just a little bit more forward thinking, then they could have had a removable head and legs as that torso could be used for many other characters (already mentioned).

Edited by GLHTurbo

I don't mind either Hulk, but I only own the minifig Hulk and I can't help feeling I need the giant one. However, I hate how he can only move his arms/hands, if TLC made it so he could move legs and possibly head as well it would be fantastic.

Usually, I am not up for giant moulds especially in the Rancor monster case. For future licensed sets I think Thanos should be a minifigure, but Ant-Man should have a microfig mold and for Giant Man, he should be one of those minifig torches.

I think TLG should see if they can do some medium sized molds, like Hagrid. I don't think they should go bigger than Hulk, but some characters are just bigger than minifig form.

I feel like what ever LEGO decides to do will work out well. I think we will all be happy with just getting all these characters in LEGO form one way or another :sweet:

I don't mind the bigger figuers if only there were few a year(like 2 or 3)and they are compadible with minifigs.(Meaning that Hulk's head and hair were removeble,becuase they weren't :hmpf_bad: )

I see both sides of the argument, but I think I prefer Hulk as a large mold just because he feels more like Hulk. I do think that Characters like Bane and Venom be regular minifigures though. :sceptic: I think I'd prefer Clayface like Hulk.

I think the large molds have a certain charm and I like them. It would be much better if they had more articulation, but at least they have the arms and (in some cases) hands. I really like the designs where the parts are connected via technic pins instead of conected forever.

I also love the minifigs versions, and I hope that any hero/villian that comes out as a large mold will have a special release minifig like the Hulk. That was just so great to have both options. Both designs are perfect in thier own way.

I prefer Apocalypse was a larger mold. For one the character is known to change his size at will and is supposed to be intimidating against the "annoying insects". A larger figure also means we have the option to switch his hands out with various weaponry, as well as include extra details like the hoses connecting to his arms.

I think TLG should see if they can do some medium sized molds, like Hagrid. I don't think they should go bigger than Hulk, but some characters are just bigger than minifig form.

I completely agree with this. Some are great like the large Hulk, then some need to be minifigure size. Then also as you have stated, some need to be in the middle like Hagrid. I also would love if the TLG could add some more articulation into their large figs. Anyways, I think the large moulds are actually quite cool.

I like the large mold for appropriate figs. I think that Juggernaut would be right with this mold, but not Colossus. Colossus is tall, not so much girth to him though like the Hulk fig.