DNL

The Hornburg in Helm's Deep

You may find it amusing to learn that at a Geek Trivia night I attended at a local theater pub here in Portland, Oregon last night, the first question displayed a picture of your MOC, the question being, "What battle took place here?" :classic: (Yes, the first questions are usually extremely easy.) I have no idea how they found your picture, but I was pretty excited... and my team went on to win 1st Place!

That looks amazing! *huh* The use of pieces to create that "rocky" effect on the right is clever and the design of the whole MOC is just extrorinary. It's such a shame that this might be your last.

You may find it amusing to learn that at a Geek Trivia night I attended at a local theater pub here in Portland, Oregon last night, the first question displayed a picture of your MOC, the question being, "What battle took place here?" :classic: (Yes, the first questions are usually extremely easy.) I have no idea how they found your picture, but I was pretty excited... and my team went on to win 1st Place!

Congratulations!

Thanks for all the nice comments!

deskp, 1. august according to the store i made this for. I'm not sure about other stores.

vlai23, that's awesome! and congrats on winning.

Brinstar: quite a while. About ten days of building i guess.

As everyone has said - truly stunning work, and only 10 days of work? With my schedule that would take me months to build. Really beautiful and artistic interpretation of the fortress and the rock work. Clearly this one is the admiration of the LEGO LOTR community. Well done.

If Lego made this model only a handful of people would be able to buy them.

It looks like at least £500 of lego in that model.... ?

Having said, that I do think it is pretty good. I'll be borrowing a few building tips from this. :thumbup:

Edited by Venunder

Wonderful, just beautiful. There is a certain majesticness to this interpretation of Hornburg. The use of flat and roof tiles to hide studs and certain symmetries creates a very unique look compared to other versions we've seen here or the one from LEGO. I especially like the path that leads up to the castle, the tower and the way the furthest wall integrates with the mountain, very nice. Ideas for further improvements are few and far between in my head, all I could think of is adding some mountain behind the lower wall as well.

I have edited one of the pictures to make it look like a scene from the movie:

7655446156_dfeb855183_z.jpg(Click for big)

f Lego made this model only a handful of people would be able to buy them.

It looks like at least £500 of lego in that model.... ?

You might be able to buy all the parts to build this on bricklink, excluding the minifigs, for £500, but if lego were to sell this as a set it would cost many times that. I used many thousands of bricks to build it.

As everyone has said - truly stunning work, and only 10 days of work? With my schedule that would take me months to build.

I mean ten whole days of consecutive building. It took two months from start to finish to build this.

The nighttime effect makes the MOC even more fabulous.

Now all one needs to do is animate those minifigs!

I have edited one of the pictures to make it look like a scene from the movie:

Great, thank you for sharing! Seeing a full mountainscape behind it, and the lights, really sets the mood - bordering perfection now in the edited form. :)

Great work. I have been loking forward to see the Hornburg in a larger scale.

I'll definitely see the model when I'm in Oslo this week.

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to build the ground out of tan and green/brown pieces instead of gray like featured in the movie?

Hornburg.jpg

Looks fantastic! Great work. I wonder how my own Helm's Deep project will fare in the future.

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to build the ground out of tan and green/brown pieces instead of gray like featured in the movie?

*snip*

It wasn't grey, that's just the lighting on the shot - and grey would blend in too much with the building itself.

Dark tan is the most appropriate color as shown on this model:

helms11_2350485.jpg

Even more amazing with the lights and armies.

Yes I see now that I seriously underestimated the size of this model.

The first official £1000 model from Lego ? if they included 50 Uruk Hai

and 50 soldiers of Rohan ?

It would have to be specially delivered by Lego, because nobody could lift it from the shelf of the shops. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ehh, idk. In that interpretation you posted the designed went a little too far with the tan I think. Even his rocky mountains are mostly a tan color, wheras in almost every other pic I have seen they are gray. As for the ground, in most the shots I have seen it appears more of a gray, or dull green with a few tanish dirt spots:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Those are all shots taken from the movie or used for the movie, not sculptures and interpretations from other people. I guess you could argue after the battle took place it might have been tan if all the grass got torn up from the 10,000 orcs marching over it :tongue:

Edited by Deathleech