Sign in to follow this  
Spider-Man

College

I managed to find one picture of Lego in one of my past dorm rooms. UCS Imperial Shuttle with the Fire Brigade kind of hidden behind it. I'm pretty sure there is a polybag promo lizard on my alarm clock too. One of the perks of being a film student is that you can get away with having just about anything in your room! :tongue:

shuttle_in_my_room.jpg

I'll see if I can hunt down more photos of other past college dorm rooms.

That's a nice setup! I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures if you can ever find them :thumbup: I go back Saturday so maybe after I'm done setting up I'll get some pictures up :sweet:

I dig some more digging and came across more pictures that I'd taken. I'm disappointed that apparently I didn't take more pictures as I missed capturing a good 75% of the sets that I picked up/had on display. I don't have any pictures from my first stint in college from 2006-2008, but I do have some pics from when I went back for a different program starting in 2010.

This is part of my room during the 2010/2011 year. At this point I had a Technic backhoe, the Tower Bridge, the Royal Knight's castle (MISB from Bricklink),a bunch of NinjaGo, and series 1-3 of the CMFs. That year was insane, I remember at one point I had the entire first wave of Kingdoms, Atlantis, and Pharaohs Quest on display - every square inch of my room was covered, but it was worth it.

room_2010.jpg

Here's a different view of the same setup. That room was great for displaying Lego, there was so much shelving on multiple walls. I believe I got the Tower Bridge when it was released in October and built it over Thanksgiving long weekend (Mid October here in Canada). When most other students returned to residence after the long weekend, I think a lot of them made messes in their pants when they saw the Bridge on display!

room_2010_bridge.jpg

I eventually caved in a bought the Royal Knight's Castle off Bricklink. This was one of many MISB Lego sets that I had delivered to me in residence.

room_2010_castle.jpg

This was the room that I had from 2011-2012. Though the room was bigger than previous rooms, it had way less shelving. That didn't stop me from buying lots of Lego. This would have been right near the start of the semester, so I'd only just picked up the Fire Brigade, the NinjaGo Fire Temple, and the VW Camper Van (not in the picture here, but in was on the table at the bottom left).

lego.jpg

bus.jpg

My bedside table that originally hosted my printer and the Fire Temple was eventually replaced by Hogwarts. This would go on to be replaced by various other stuff.

room_2011_hogwarts.jpg

My Fire Brigade sat comfortably on my Blu-ray player beside my TV and in between some speakers. The FB and the VW Van were about the only two sets that remained in my room the whole year.

fire_brigade.jpg

At some point I had a Technic Ferrari on my desk. The model on my desk got replaced around every couple weeks as I got new stuff.

ferrari.jpg

Unfortunately for my wallet there is not only a Lego store very close to this college, but also an independent Lego shop that sells old and rare stuff. This was one of the hauls from that independent place. Luckily there was a huge amount of space under my bed, so I was able to store all my boxes no problem.

lasting_toys_purchase_1.jpg

:oh: That's incredible! I love all that shelf space in the first picture! :thumbup: That had to have been extremely nice. Now I am scared to show any pictures I take! They will be no where near as impressive as what you had going on!

I moved into my dorm this past week and after looking at what you've put up, I can't wait to get some Lego into my dorm(after I get some shelving of course).

I feel shelving will be my biggest issue as well! :hmpf_bad: I move in on Saturday and can't remember if I picked a room that had a little built in shelving or not? Guess I'll find out the hard way in two days!

I'm starting as a freshman in the US this year. I got a quad, and being an international student, I don't really think that I can take any Lego with me. In fact, I have decided to cut my Lego spending preventively, because of all college spending. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up someday... :cry_sad:

Lego and university never crossed paths for me. Besides the challenges of not losing pieces in cramped, student spaces, the allure of binge drinking and reckless drug use more than made up for my brief hiatus from Lego. I suppose I could have brought my collection along when I lived alone in 4th year, but I didn't want to jeopardize any chances of canoodling with the opposite gender. Needless to say, post graduation, I'm back into the brick building habit, full swing.

Guess I'm lucky I already got a gf who doesn't mind my LEGO hobby :sweet:

Just finished moving everything into my room and there are no shelves! :cry_sad: Not much room for anything else besides displaying a couple of my figure on my desk, but that's exactly what I'm going to do! :laugh:

Guess I'm lucky I already got a gf who doesn't mind my LEGO hobby :sweet:

Just finished moving everything into my room and there are no shelves! :cry_sad: Not much room for anything else besides displaying a couple of my figure on my desk, but that's exactly what I'm going to do! :laugh:

Any Lego stores near you? For the first time, I'll live at a place about a 20 minute drive from one.

Edited by BrickHat

Nope no where near :cry_sad: But there are Targets and Walmart so all is not lost! Back home in Chicago I'm pretty close to some LEGO stores so it's sort of strange not having any close! I guess we have switched situations here! :laugh:

Any Lego stores near you? For the first time, I'll live at a place about a 20 minute drive from one. No Lego stores in Costa Rica...

I am just curious, what is your age?

Nope no where near :cry_sad: But there are Targets and Walmart so all is not lost! Back home in Chicago I'm pretty close to some LEGO stores so it's sort of strange not having any close! I guess we have switched situations here! :laugh:

I'm sorry to hear that. Where are you studying? You are right; I guess we're in inverse situations. :laugh: I don't expect to have much time to visit Lego stores though.

Edited by BrickHat

Almost 20 years old. :classic: Kind of old for a freshman actually...

Wow that is a big surprise, I always thought you were older, like in your 30s.

But actually are 4 years younger than I. :laugh:

Back on topic.

I have two more years of University, but I have the advantage of having my home near where I study, so is not a big deal about having the collection at hand.

Where are you studying?

I go to school in Iowa and the nearest LEGO store is the one that's closest to my home in Chicago :laugh: That's cool that you go to school only 2 hours from NYC :thumbup: I'm sure you can get some fun weekend excursion out there at some point and go to the LEGO store there!

Wow that is a big surprise, I always thought you were older, like in your 30s.

But actually are 4 years younger than I. :laugh:

:laugh: that's funny. I guess age is hard to gauge just by looking at what people write, then!

Edited by BrickHat

I didn't know what LEGO was when I started college. :blush: So, I didn't have any of your problems. :tongue:

Consider yourself lucky my friend! On top of papers, quizzes, test, homework, and socializing, LEGO is just another thing that needs to be taken care of while in college! :wink: Or you can go ahead and knowingly suffer through a Dark Age...

For me, space is less of an issue than time. Classes just began, and I've barely had time to think, let alone play with LEGO. It doesn't help that it takes a good four-hour chunk of time to build and photograph even a small project, and currently I'm just not getting that sort of time in a continuous stretch.

For those of you who've already been through college, how did you deal with the time issue?

It's definitely hard to work with so little time. I for one haven't even been able to sit down and build in the two weeks I've been here, but hopefully after getting into the flow of things some time will free itself up :sweet: at least I hope so :look:

Hope you do/did some nice builds during the recovery time.

I have done some cool MOC's while recovering from knee and foot operations; it really does make the day go by faster when you are in pain.

Edited by Legogal

It's been a couple years, but I remember it being nice to buy a small set (less than $10) every once in a while and build it just to keep my itch for building in check. I also brought over a few of my favorite minifigs and put them on my desk. Around Christmas time, it might be a good idea to get an Advent Calendar and open it up each day if you're not able to go home for the holidays; it's a nice little stress reliever from finals and all those reports/projects they pile on you at the end of the year. :tongue:

Due to a recent medical issue, I'll be dropping out for the rest of this semester, thereby giving me a lot more time for building.

Oh no :sad: Hopefully everything is all right! I guess building LEGO is definitely looking at the bright side of that situation! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

It's been a couple years, but I remember it being nice to buy a small set (less than $10) every once in a while and build it just to keep my itch for building in check. I also brought over a few of my favorite minifigs and put them on my desk. Around Christmas time, it might be a good idea to get an Advent Calendar and open it up each day if you're not able to go home for the holidays; it's a nice little stress reliever from finals and all those reports/projects they pile on you at the end of the year. :tongue:

I definitely brought down some of my favorite minifigs and they keep a smile on my face while doing hw and such, especially Spidey riding a taun-taun :grin: Advent calendar isn't a bad idea either! I just wish TLG made it a little more affordable :hmpf_bad: