Mister Phes

Evil Stevie's Pirate Game

Just an update we are planning on playing another game in just a week. Several people from the first game and two more guys are joining in. We will even see the appearance if the dreaded ork fleet hit the waves :pir-grin: . I am currently working on another imperial ship to join my fleet. but I alas have limited building skills since I am more of a collector but its coming along. The ship should be as big as the Caribbean clipper.

I will post pics and try to workout a play by play account if it doesn't get to crazy.

282463_231194396914175_1753576_n.jpg

Hi Guys,

May I present Broadside! a Lego Pirate Game...

I'm a new member of your excellent forum but have been enjoying collecting Pirates for a while now. When we got above 12 ships we looked for games that could be played with them. After being inspired by Evil Stevie's game we had a crack at developing our own with the simple criteria being; no dice, no cards and no reference charts.

We came up with a game called Broadside! that lets you determine ship to ship combat by firing the spring loaded cannon at each other's ships. We have put the game and a tutorial on a Facebook community page at

https://www.facebook...231182840248664

The rules can be found direct at

https://www.facebook...231197080247240

Please give it a go and tell me what you think, The rules are very quick to learn and the game is fast to play.

Also, please 'like' the Facebook page if you think it has promise and we'll keep updating it. The next event is the Australian Broadside! National Championships to be held in July so there should be some good photos up soon.

Edited by Dread Pirate Rob

It was awesome bumping into Steve Jackson, from Steve Jackson Games, at Brickworld. He said he enjoyed the Eurobricks pirate display and had many compliments for the builders.

Remember to vote for the Ogre Cuusoo project. Steve Jackson, the creator of the games Munchkin and Car Wars to name a few , will back it.

Ahab out . . .

Cheers, we are still working on the rules so if you have any suggestions please let me know. We will be testing the latest update to the rules in July over some beers. So far we have 12 ships participating so we should be able to have some good sized games.

The islands are all now complete for the Broadside Australian National Championships. This will be the first year featuring a Queen Anne's Revenge and it is anticipated it will run rings around last year's champion the Skull's Eye Schooner.

Edited by Dread Pirate Rob

Hi, I just read the rules and they look like lots of fun :pir-classic:

I am not on Facebook otherwise I'd "like" it!

I built a fleet a while ago for playing on the floor, check it out here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47266&view=findpost&p=858545

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49275

It was originally made for Evil Stevie's Pirate Game, but maybe I'll give your ruleset a try :cannon:

When I was a kid I played something similar, albeit far simpler, on the floor, shooting the little cannons and removing any bricks and parts that were hit, it was great fun!

One question: The rules for Ship Island state that a player can shoot the ship that's anchored there and it gets replaced with the next in line; isn't this a cheap tactic to get a better vessel? I mean, why would anyone not use this when buying a new ship? :pir-oh:

I'm looking forward to hearing more of this game.

Edit: Also, how is initiative handled? Who moves first, and is there any way to avoid being not able to hit an enemy at all when he sails his ship in a way that puts him outside my arc of fire because he was allowed to move after me?

Edited by Cherno

Sorry for the year delay in responding, My kids seem to get in the way of playing with lego sometimes:)

I am a huge fan of your cutters, they are excellent and would be a lot of fun in the game. The big ships can become a bit unweildy in a general fleet action, I will have to try my hand at making MOC small ships again, unfortunately the last one I did looked like a bus with washing drying on the roof.

Yes, you are right, that is a big hole in the rules. While the ship sailing and combat works well with simple mechanics at present, the campaign needs more work. Options we are working on at the moment include winning the game by collecting parrots, monkeys and rum (very piratey) Through to Cap'n Groove, our tech savvy pirate, writing a computer program to generate the random events.

There is no initiative element to the game, the players just take turns. By shooting after the movement phase of the player's turn it is difficult to place the ship somewhere it can shoot but not be shot.

Cheers,

Rob

Good News! The Broadside fleet have been accepted for a display at Brickvention in Melbourne Australia 18 - 19 January 2014. Hope to see some of you there.

The big question is, will there be enough room for a game or two?...

Rob, how is the game development coming along? I'm particularly interested in the random events generator you mentioned. I have your rules and expanded them myself, but I'm curious to see what changes you may have made recently.

Just had a read of these rules and this should very good fun. I am going to be trying this game out next weekend

Take pictures and share them with us please!

If there aren't any pictures, it didn't happen. :grin:

Take pictures and share them with us please!

If there aren't any pictures, it didn't happen. :grin:

I have just had to buy 60 more round 1x1 bricks for the cannons!! For the ships and my fort

Does anybody know if this game is ever going to be played at another convention? Thanks

If you look on Steve's website, there hasn't been anything done since 2003.

I've gone to Brickworld Chicago, and there has not been a large showing of pirate MOCs, let alone a Pirate Themed event. Hopefully this trend will change after next year when I'm finally able to contribute. :pirate: