Artifex

Winter Village 10229 Winter Village Cottage

Are you crazy?! The post office is the best one! The build is fantastic, it looks great and the gazebo and car are way better "accessories" than the tree and ice rink in the previous sets. In my opinion, of course. You should definitely consider buying it if/when it is on sale after Christmas.

I will agree about the minifigures though. I never quite understood why LEGO didn't pay much of any attention to the minifigures in the Winter Village sets. Lots of plain and common torsos (like the female in the Toy Shop with the red space torso that looks completely out of place), strange combinations (like the guy in the Post Office with the grey torso and green hoodie). Most often they just seem like an afterthought which is a shame when the actual sets are so amazing and fun to build. I definitely hope this year's set will improve in that regard, especially with a $100 price tag.

It looks like it is now gone completely from sale so I will not get that chance. I guess the reason I held back was the thought of another high pitched plated roof (Give me some slopes in reddish brown please tlg :grin: ), and another expensively made light brick that will sit in the drawer and do nothing where budget could have been spent better elsewhere.

Hopefully no more light bricks! Perhaps they could learn to push the boat out like say the town hall. Printed bricks aplenty (That clock dish is superb!), a new or rare colour and varied detailed figs.

I hope to be pleasantly suprised come nearer winter months!

Agree, The Minifigures are not what make me buy these sets, also the carolers in the Toy Shop where well done!

I really like the colour combinations that TLG uses in these sets, and why the Winter Village Bakery is my favorite.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Winter Village Cottage and have enough VIP points saved up to get one for free!

This series is a nice way to end the year!...

I would agree that the carolers faces are certainly unqiue and were useful to me but I could pass on all the others after. Would be nice if the TLG made a little more effort though. Like say LOTR.

Wish I had enough points for a set as expensive as that!

Edited by snaillad

It looks like it is now gone completely from sale so I will not get that chance. I guess the reason I held back was the thought of another high pitched plated roof (Give me some slopes in reddish brown please tlg :grin: ), and another expensively made light brick that will sit in the drawer and do nothing where budget could have been spent better elsewhere.

I actually think the roofs are among the best things about these sets. I counted SEVEN different techniques to make roofs in the three sets they've released so far. That's just fantastic as far as inspiration goes and learning advanced building techniques. I'd even go so far to say that these Winter Village sets are far more interesting and fun to build than the rather monotone modulars. Even if I'm a bit disappointed that the next WV set will be so expensive, I fully expect it to be a fantastic build.

Anyway, the Post Office will be back for sale for Christmas, no doubt. So will the Bakery, I believe, while the Toy Shop has been discontinued (unconfirmed, but most seem to believe it has been). So you'll surely get another opportunity to buy it.

The roofs on these winter sets are sometimes a challenge, but I guess that's what makes the buildings look the way they do...beautiful. :classic:

Though my favourite is the bakery, the one I had the most pleasure building...the post office and toy shop were troublesome in parts. :blush:

I among others can't wait to see this new set, I'm still thinking a sleigh pulled by a horse being part of the set....see if I'm right in the future eh ? :laugh:

Oh, sorry, I must've missed your point. Those reservations included - that they wouldn't actually need new moulds/prints/recolours to drive up the price - , I agree (although I really don't see what's so terrible about the put-together-by-a-blind figure). The pilot's torso did puzzle and annoy me in equal measures, and I must admit that my WV minifigs have all been parted out. :laugh:

What you call the pilot's torso I thought to be a leather winter coat with a collar... I thought it worked well in that setting.

I do agree, though, that the minifigs are on the boring side.

I hope a significant chunk of that piece count is on additional pieces of scenery (like the pond in the Bakery, or the gazebo in the PO). Like others I'd be a bit concerned about the cottage being out of scale with the other buildings if it's as big as it sounds. But then again, I'm sure that this would have been a fundamental consideration for the design team.

GRogall's HR image set of the day!

10229 Winter Village Cottage

all pics link to HR version 2400+ .pxl

c_10229_detail_1_800.jpg

d_10229_detail_2_800.jpg

e_10229_detail_3_800.jpg

f_10229_detail_4_800.jpg

g_10229_detail_5_800.jpg

h_10229_detail_6_800.jpg

i_10229_detail_7_800.jpg

Enjoy! :caroler: :caroler: :caroler:

Edited by GRogall

GRogall's HR image of the day!

Thanks for posting. I have updated the first post of the topic.

*oh2* OOOH now that is big! as mutch as i love the look of this set dont you think it will look oversized next to the rest of the series. I think i may be in tears when we fin out the UK price :look: .

WOW! That looks amazing! They're finally using Minifigures Skis. This looks so cool! I'll see if I can spend the extra $80...

Thanks Grogall!

-Sci

Thanks for the picture! And a nice set indeed.

With the snow on the roof being so much thicker than in the other sets, I imagine this house is better placed not next to the others but rather higher up on a hill. Maybe the plow just cleared the road up there...

Awsome! Thank you for the pictures. In fact I remembered the set two hours ago and started searching if pictures are available anywhere. In 2 hours you posted HR pictures of the set. Just perfect timing.

I am now going to start searching for the picture of next year modular, and will hope that you will add the pictures in few hours from start of the search :sweet:

This is awesome. It seems that Lego has done the snowy roof awesomely. The vehicle is great, as is the igloo. One of the best sets of the series :thumbup:

Wow that looks great! I especially like that old school snow plow truck! :cry_happy: I might be making an exception and picking this one up! :thumbup:

I don't have any plans to get this, but it's a seriously substantial addition to the series, and one of the best interiors of any LEGO building I've ever seen. It's so cozy and Christmas-sy. :wub:

Holy jumpin' frogs! What a gorgeous set! Really like the look of this. It is obviously bigger than the other winter village sets, but it doesn't dwarf any of them too badly and should look great along side them.

Looks pretty cool! It looks like they really concentrated on the interior of the house. It definitely has that "modular buildings theme" feel to it on the inside.

I'm surprised at the number of the minifigs. There's probably 3 too many. I wish some of them were dressed a little more specially (hats, winter accessories) because some of them look like they just hopped out of a car from the City theme.

I look forward to going over the photos with a fine comb until the holiday season comes around. I like figuring out what the unique elements are in these sets. I think that owl is from Harry Potter...

wow, is it really worth £20 more than last years set? I'm struggling to see a difference in scale,

I've got the rest, so I guess I won't miss out on this one,

I like the design of the house and a lot of the details. Maybe it takes a little while to get used to the color scheme. The light blue, dark green and gold don't go well together in my opinion. I'll have to see how it looks with the rest of the winter sets. It's too bad the upstairs window doesn't go through to the bedroom.

I really like the interior of the cottage and the cozy igloo but little else. The light blue color scheme bothers me, and I'm not as crazy about the plow truck as I was for the mail truck last year. The shed is a nice design though.

But, Lego, the price and piece count... They're sickening, repulsive, insulting ... I could go on with the adjectives. I agree with what was said before about hoping Lego would maintain the previous scale of the Winter Village sets. I did a double take when I read the price and piece count for this. The other day, I had the same reaction when I saw the City Garage on Lego S@H. Lego, you're beginning to convince me that your new aim is to be an elitist toy company that caters only to the wealthiest consumers. While it could be argued this particular set can afford the hefty price due to the adult collector being the possible targeted audience, the same can't be said for sets in themes that are unquestionably aimed directly at young boys and girls. After 25+ years of continuous collecting of Legos, I'm finally reaching my breaking point when I see sets such as this Winter Village Cottage!

I love it! What another amazing addition to the Winter Village theme. I seriously have to get all of them, I only have to Winter Toy Shop at the moment.

The colour scheme is basically the colours I'm using for The Three Broomsticks pub from Harry Potter. It fits nice for a cottage. It looks like a huge building though, I wonder how that will compare with the other small buildings. It's a lovely interior, but the cottage may be just too big because of that. I still love it though. The car is also amazing and so are the other structures. Looking forward to this set. :classic: