Artifex

Winter Village 10229 Winter Village Cottage

It's great to know what the next Winter Village set will be. :sweet: I hope it has just as excellent detail as the previous ones.

I love the Winter Village series, so this is a must-buy for me. I also hope that along with the Cottage we will see 2-3 of the older Winter Village sets re-issued as they were last year. In particular I miss the Toy Shop since the tall black window sill has become gradually uncommon since its disappearance from the market.

I love the Winter Village series, so this is a must-buy for me. I also hope that along with the Cottage we will see 2-3 of the older Winter Village sets re-issued as they were last year. In particular I miss the Toy Shop since the tall black window sill has become gradually uncommon since its disappearance from the market.

The Winter Toy Shop will not be making a comeback this year! Sorry, best bet Amazon or ebay for this set!

Okay, so the next big question, short of images of course, is what the piece count/price point will be? If it's going to be bigger... JUST HOW MUCH BIGGER are we talking about here? I've really appreciated that TLG has kept these a smaller tag, and would love to see them stay below $75USD here, but it seems like that's definitely not going to be the case here. Curious...

Okay, so the next big question, short of images of course, is what the piece count/price point will be? If it's going to be bigger... JUST HOW MUCH BIGGER are we talking about here? I've really appreciated that TLG has kept these a smaller tag, and would love to see them stay below $75USD here, but it seems like that's definitely not going to be the case here. Curious...

The set will have 1490 pieces and retal for $99.99, €89.99.

If we look at the piece count......

815 (10199) Winter Toy Shop

687 (10216) Winter Village Bakery x2 would be 1.374

822 (10122) Winter Village Post office

1490 (10229) Winter Village Cottage This set has more then double the number of pieces then the Bakery!

Must be Huge! *oh2*

Edited by GRogall

Ouch, that means a high AU price most likely 200 dollars at least ! :sadnew:

I wait to see how big this cottage is when the images come out.....but already I know I'll be buying it.....the wife likes the winter sets laid out for Christmas in the lounge room. :wink:

What? I... wow. What? :laugh:

Well, I hadn't expected that. It's great to hear there's going to be another big set like that. It's not so great to hear that there's going to be another large set I can't afford this year, and it's also not very great to hear that there won't be another affordable Winter Village set this year. =(

Where did you find those numbers?

Edited by Multiverse

Where did you find those numbers?

A Winter Village fairy told me!

852783-1.jpg

That piece count and price is so disappointing. I may be alone on this, but I liked the smaller size for these buildings, the vintage small-town vibe of them. They were also affordable, unique collectables for those who don't want to or can't spend enormous amounts on the larger collectables (like the modulars). Now they're upping it into a bracket where it's a major purchase, not to mention that if it's just a single "cottage" with that many pieces it'll probably look completely out of scale next to the other ones.. I'll certainly reserve my final judgment for when we get to see some photos, I'm sure it'll be a great-looking set.. But I am disappointed in LEGO for ballooning the winter village series.

Edited by Graysmith

Maybe there is more than a cottage, say a vehicle or sleigh perhaps...reports of a small building near the cottage. It might have a few hundred 1x1 plates, rounds and square tiles....etc., ? :laugh:

A Winter Village fairy told me!

*oh2* Is that going to be a minifigure in the set? This is closer to what I was hoping the series 8 fairy would look like.

That price tag is great for the piece count, but I agree with others that the Winter Village series shouldn't break the bank every year. I liked the smaller scale. It added a more peaceful village (in my opinion). I obviously can't wait to see the pictures and more than likely I will be getting this. It will just be difficult to add yet another $100 set to the list I have yet to purchase.

That fairy is exactly what I expected the CMF to be like. No wonder I was so disappointed with it. That is how it should look! I don't want a keychain fairy, so hopefully it will come in regular minifigure form as well. If it is included in the set, I will then definitely be picking it up.

Thanks for the info and picture. I can't wait to see more!

Sorry; But the fairy will not be a part of the set!

I was making a visual joke! :devil:

I was not too excited by last years post office, but bought the bakery and another winter toy shop as they were on sale on TLG online site.

It seems similarly priced/pieces to the kingdoms joust. Perhaps the size and scale could be similar?

I have found the figs and pieces relatively uninspiring in the winter series so far.

I hope very much they up their game with this set and give me something special!

That piece count and price is so disappointing. I may be alone on this, but I liked the smaller size for these buildings, the vintage small-town vibe of them. They were also affordable, unique collectables for those who don't want to or can't spend enormous amounts on the larger collectables (like the modulars). Now they're upping it into a bracket where it's a major purchase, not to mention that if it's just a single "cottage" with that many pieces it'll probably look completely out of scale next to the other ones.. I'll certainly reserve my final judgment for when we get to see some photos, I'm sure it'll be a great-looking set.. But I am disappointed in LEGO for ballooning the winter village series.

I'm with you on this one. I like it when there quaint. :sad:

I was not too excited by last years post office, but bought the bakery and another winter toy shop as they were on sale on TLG online site.

Are you crazy?! The post office is the best one! The build is fantastic, it looks great and the gazebo and car are way better "accessories" than the tree and ice rink in the previous sets. In my opinion, of course. You should definitely consider buying it if/when it is on sale after Christmas.

I will agree about the minifigures though. I never quite understood why LEGO didn't pay much of any attention to the minifigures in the Winter Village sets. Lots of plain and common torsos (like the female in the Toy Shop with the red space torso that looks completely out of place), strange combinations (like the guy in the Post Office with the grey torso and green hoodie). Most often they just seem like an afterthought which is a shame when the actual sets are so amazing and fun to build. I definitely hope this year's set will improve in that regard, especially with a $100 price tag.

I will agree about the minifigures though. I never quite understood why LEGO didn't pay much of any attention to the minifigures in the Winter Village sets. Lots of plain and common torsos (like the female in the Toy Shop with the red space torso that looks completely out of place), strange combinations (like the guy in the Post Office with the grey torso and green hoodie). Most often they just seem like an afterthought which is a shame when the actual sets are so amazing and fun to build. I definitely hope this year's set will improve in that regard, especially with a $100 price tag.

I don't. I'd personally hate to see it being the minifigs that drove up the price in a series that used to focus on great builds and part selections. It completely shuffles the priorities, and you might in my opinion as well move the theme to an entire different target audience.

Agree, The Minifigures are not what make me buy these sets, although, the carolers in the Toy Shop where well done!

I really like the colour combinations that TLG uses in these sets, and why the Winter Village Bakery is my favorite.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Winter Village Cottage and have enough VIP points saved up to get one for free!

This series is a nice way to end the year!...

I agree with you on that one, GRogall: I also find the bakery the best because of the colours. What I like the least about the postal office is the fact that tiles are used for most but not all of the interior. Probably that is due to a lack of quaerter-round tiles (if I am not mistaking, these do not exist).

The figures are not great, but they do make for a cosy bunch. As part of a Christmas tradition I am saving coupons (which I get for participating in online surveys) and will be spending them on the Christmas set. Though given the higher price tag, I am not sure whether I will get enough coupons to get it for free this year...

Edited by KristofBD

Hopefully they remember to give 'gloves' (black, brown or grey hands) to people playing outside in the snow.

It is a winter set...it's supposed to be cold outside...

Edited by Bellicose

I don't. I'd personally hate to see it being the minifigs that drove up the price in a series that used to focus on great builds and part selections. It completely shuffles the priorities, and you might in my opinion as well move the theme to an entire different target audience.

Why would that move the theme to an "entire different target audience"? Do you mean one that actually cares what minifigures look like (i.e. 95% of all AFOLs)?

I'm not asking for the minifigures to be CMF style with new parts, all-new printing and whatnot, I'm merely asking LEGO to put a little effort into them. I can't think of any sets LEGO releases where so little care and thought are put into the minifigures. It wouldn't be difficult or expensive for LEGO to have used a green torso for this minifigure instead of the grey one (have you ever seen a grey jacket with a green hood?). Why should we settle for minifigures that look like they were put together by a blind person? Why use a pilot torso when they could've used the common black suit torso? Surely you can't argue that changing those would "drive up the price".

They're not the worst minifigures ever, but there are a couple in each set that look pretty terrible and could've looked so much better just with existing/different color legs or torsos. None of that would do anything to drive up any price on these sets, and if LEGO are now going to be charging $100 for these sets they better put some effort into the minifigures.

Must be Huge! *oh2*

Dang, that is a really big set! I hope it doesn't 'stand out' too much when displayed with the other Winter sets. I might be willing to pull the trigger on this if it's meant to be a central anchor of the theme, but if they've officially raised the price point of the annual winter set to $100USD, then they'll have lost a loyal customer of the theme.

YOU HEAR THAT LOUD N' CLEAR, TLG???!!!

Just for everyone's information: I wouldn't be surprised if this is the set Lego reveals next week at Brickfair in Washington, D.C.

Last year they revealed the Winter Village Post Office there, and this year they claim that once again they'll reveal a "never-before-seen set." And unless they plan to reveal one of next year's sets (or they reveal something no one here so much as knew about), the only possibilities would be this set or one of the unseen Hobbit sets.

Why would that move the theme to an "entire different target audience"? Do you mean one that actually cares what minifigures look like (i.e. 95% of all AFOLs)?

I'm not asking for the minifigures to be CMF style with new parts, all-new printing and whatnot, I'm merely asking LEGO to put a little effort into them. I can't think of any sets LEGO releases where so little care and thought are put into the minifigures. It wouldn't be difficult or expensive for LEGO to have used a green torso for this minifigure instead of the grey one (have you ever seen a grey jacket with a green hood?). Why should we settle for minifigures that look like they were put together by a blind person? Why use a pilot torso when they could've used the common black suit torso? Surely you can't argue that changing those would "drive up the price".

They're not the worst minifigures ever, but there are a couple in each set that look pretty terrible and could've looked so much better just with existing/different color legs or torsos. None of that would do anything to drive up any price on these sets, and if LEGO are now going to be charging $100 for these sets they better put some effort into the minifigures.

Oh, sorry, I must've missed your point. Those reservations included - that they wouldn't actually need new moulds/prints/recolours to drive up the price - , I agree (although I really don't see what's so terrible about the put-together-by-a-blind figure). The pilot's torso did puzzle and annoy me in equal measures, and I must admit that my WV minifigs have all been parted out. :laugh:

I agree (although I really don't see what's so terrible about the put-together-by-a-blind figure).

His torso printing suggests he's wearing bib overalls so the pants should be orange to match, like so.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a rant, I just think it's a shame that LEGO doesn't put in at least a minimum expected effort when doing the minifigures.