On 26.1.2017 at 7:22 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

Interesting to see how you'll solve the challenge of the tapered wing. Looking forward to that...

jTJDuz3.jpg

Here are my blueprints on scale. I placed 6 and 4 studs for scale on the both ends of a wing. It seems that absolutely correct wing would be 2,5 studs tapered down to 1,75. These figures are quite impossible and my current wings are 3 studs tapered down to 2. I have about half a stud too thick wings. Currently I'm not sure if I should still experiment to get the exactly correct wing thickness.  I think I like this 3 to 2 stud wing more than 2 to 1 stud. 

NDB3zZv.jpg

Here is the current tapering method which is possible with 3 to 2 stud wings. One wing is 67 studs long from the center of the ship. Full wingspan is 133 studs.

Gtv9cUt.jpg

As a last photo: latest iteration of wing mechanism. Now it feels stable enough. On the backround you can see a glimpse of my new storage system :)

Edited by drakmin

I'm amazed at the scale and accuracy you are working with here. I remember when this topic started and I can't wait to see the finished result

I'd stick to the 3-2 wing thickness. It is much easier to build + the additional stiffness of the extra stud will come in super handy with such a wingspan (especially when you start mounting the weight of the laser cannons at the tip). Finally the wings are quite stubby in 'reality'. Having some thickness will optically help to convey that I think.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

This is going to be extraordinary. I agree, definitely go with a 3-2 taper, it might not be 100% accurate but i think extra strength is definitely worth it in this case. I really envy your skills with technic Lego, I'm absolutely hopeless with it, so I'm really impressed with the undertaking that this is. Your storage setup is beautiful btw

I have managed to make a slimmer wing construction. Thickness is now from 2.5 studs down to 1.5 studs. According to my blueprints this detail is finally correct :D Next it's time to fit the engines and landing gears on the redesigned wings.

ez9ncfM.jpg

OaQ34GW.jpg

Edited by drakmin

Amazing is the word, overused but entirely appropriate here. Really appreciate the attention and dedication to detail, that taper is wonderful. Excited to see how you tackle the nose cone.

Big work! Compliments! I find very well proportioned the engines. Are you going to release the instructions too?

2 hours ago, drakmin said:

Snowspeeder trying to give new wings scale :)

I nearly fell off my chair!

Work in progress: engine exhaust nozzles. Btw I decided to create an Instagram account for easier update posting in the future https://www.instagram.com/drakmin/ I will first post mainly old images trying to establish somewhat chronological order :D

tLwmpB8.jpg

Edited by drakmin

Just now, drakmin said:

Work in progress: engine exhaust nozzles. Btw I decided to create an Instagram account for easier update posting in the future https://www.instagram.com/drakmin/ I will first post mainly old images trying to establish somewhat chronological order :D

Now that is what I am talking about....your storage system. I prefer mine this way too (as you might have seen). This is so convenient.

Oh, and nice work on the X-wing :wink: 

This MOC is very fitting for this special 40th year anniversary.  Absolutely Incredible work.  :thumbup: :classic:

4rxJoma.jpg

When placed out of focus, the main hull looks completed already :D

zRdm3xd.jpg

I quess I need to use mainly system bricks in the front cone. Not sure yet if the left or right side works better. (sharp or curved edge on the inside)

6Sws0w3.jpg

Siege Tank for scale! :)

14 hours ago, drakmin said:

I quess I need to use mainly system bricks in the front cone. Not sure yet if the left or right side works better. (sharp or curved edge on the inside)

I'm always in awe, when looking at this beauty, can't wait to see the finished model! My opinion: the left side with the sharp edges looks more accurate.

One of the engines and rear landing gear range of motion. Landing gear is just a sketch for time being and missing all the details.

rj6Y0KL.jpg

plh4ofS.jpg

Making of

Edited by drakmin

I hope it's not too late to ask this question but... Do you trust your blueprints 100%? The rear landing gear you built according to your blueprints does not look exactly like the real thing. The struts are paralel in your version, while in the film it's clear that only the rear strut is vertical, while the front one is somewhat slanted towards the rear one. Please, take a look at the picture below.

36617850786_d356cddbc8_b.jpg