Wow!

It looks like you've spent quite some time doing research to make this!

The amount of time wondering which brick or cog, etc. to use is always time consuming, isn't it?!

Good luck on your project, and I look forward to seeing your progress!

Ray

Is that a custom display table you have it on, or just part of your normal furniture? either way looks the part with this sort of model taking shape on top

Is that a custom display table you have it on, or just part of your normal furniture? either way looks the part with this sort of model taking shape on top

It's a custom dinner table I built some time ago. Here's a better photo of it:

desk1.jpg

Drakmin - I just wanted to commend you on your amazing work, you are a very talented individual. I just viewed your original X-Wing, Snow Speeder and Siege Tank for the first time, truly amazing. Continued luck on your current project and I can't wait to see the final result when you're done.

Here's one of the two wing support structures:

AHA_94082.jpg

And here's some overall progress:

AHA_94172.jpg

WOW that's crazy big. To think thats longer than my Imperial Star Destroyer (6211). Very nice work.

Hey Drakmin,

Now that there's brand new UCS X-Wing, I was wondering if you made any progress on your Beyond-UCS X-Wing? :classic:

Wow! I can't believe I never saw this before. Please tell me there has been progress on this..... It looked sooooo promising. I really liked seeing your thought process when you started out. The drawings, the wireframes, etc.

I am eagerly waiting for some progress as well.

The X-Wing was never one of my favorite Lego models. I like the space ship from the movies, since it's really iconic, but the lego versions never really rocked my boat. Since seeing the new UCS 10240 in real life, my interest skyrocketed.

Besides the promising model, I also really like the way Drakmin is visualising the project with drawings and wireframes etc.

That's a previous smaller version. It does look nice, so imagine how this one will look.

1772013wip.jpg

Hi, some progress after long wait. Large scale is causing trouble prettymuch everywhere. Especially wings will be hard to maintain straight. I think I need to build wings curved upwards so gravity will pull them straight :)

That is freakin' awesome man!! It it gonna look so good when it is finished! Great progress.

Thank god, you are still alive :laugh::wink:

Looks very promising, although I can imagine the technical difficulties for building in this scale.

It looks great :thumbup:

I'm curious about the nose area and what seems to be a R2 unit...

When I was searching for ways to maintain the tail of my SSD straight, I tested using nylon strings attached to the end of the tail and to the rear support feet. It wasn't effective enough, but maybe you could try that.

Wow. The nose and fuselage are incredible. I imagine gravity will be the most difficult aspect to overcome.

This X wing will be awesome once it is done. :blush:

Large scale is causing trouble prettymuch everywhere. Especially wings will be hard to maintain straight.

I notice you are not using studded lego technic beams,try using a 'sandwich' of beams and plates.

This may help eliminate some of the sag/bowing.

It's looking good! Thanks for the update, drakmin. :thumbup:

Only thing I'm not sure about is the 2-stud-thick wings. Even though 1-stud-thick wings are often used in minifigs scale, they are clearly too thick in that scale. 1-stud-thick wings would probably look more accurate in this scale. But I understand that that might not be possible for structural reasons.

1-stud-thick wings would probably look more accurate in this scale.

I have pretty accurate blueprints printed out 1:1. My blueprint suggests the wings to be 2,5 studs against the hull of the ship and 1,5 studs from the laser cannons end. Originally I thought the wings would be hardest to do and chose the scale which would allow thicker than 1 stud wings. I'll post a photo later where you can see all this better. (afterall this is roughly 5-6x minifig scale)

Thanks for all comments, you keep me motivated!

I have pretty accurate blueprints printed out 1:1. My blueprint suggests the wings to be 2,5 studs against the hull of the ship and 1,5 studs from the laser cannons end. Originally I thought the wings would be hardest to do and chose the scale which would allow thicker than 1 stud wings. I'll post a photo later where you can see all this better. (afterall this is roughly 5-6x minifig scale)

Maybe it's the current lack of that taper down to ~1 stud that makes it look unusually thick, then. I was trying to compare* to studio model shots like this, but it is indeed hard to get a sense of scale with a model as big as yours.

*I was looking at the thickness of the wings compared to the width of the R2 unit; it looked like a little less than half the width of the droid next to the engines and a fourth the width of the droid next to the guns, and I think your R2 unit which looks perfectly scaled is 6-wide.

I have been looking forward for your updated pictures, This will end up being the most Amazing X wing ever built! do the frame suffer any extreme tension that could affect them with time by the effect of gravity on the wings? (bending)

Edited by Nom Carver