19 minutes ago, dmaclego said:

I hope it's not too late to ask this question but... Do you trust your blueprints 100%? The rear landing gear you built according to your blueprints does not look exactly like the real thing. The struts are paralel in your version, while in the film it's clear that only the rear strut is vertical, while the front one is somewhat slanted towards the rear one.

This is a good question which I have considered for a long time.

In the movies and most scale models the read landing gear seems to be built like in the image below. I think they didn't have to build a version where the landing gear actually fits inside the engine with all the mechanics and is foldable. Also, the geometry like shown below is almost impossible to build so that it would fold inside any reasonable amount of space. I think the movie version is built only thinking about the 1:1 scale models stability on ground on the set.

CnMTn0W.jpg

I will build my version like in the next blueprint below. Parallel landing gear struts allow for simple rotational movement and quite compact space when folded. Actually even this parallel version was quite close to impossible to build so that it would fit yet carry the weight of the ship. So basically it is a trade between looking exactly like in the movie or to be functional.

YyumUv5.jpg

Generally I have learnt in many movies the scale models are quite different for each shot :D For example with the snowspeeder the flight model would not fit pilots legs etc. so some compromise and  interpretation must be made. Hopefully you can now see my solution acceptable :D

KZy3Pgr.jpg

Edited by drakmin

Just now, drakmin said:

Parallel landing gear struts allow for simple rotational movement

The key word here being "simple" :) . Come on, you are building a very impressive, beautiful, huge scale model here! No place for compromises! Don't go the "simple" way; make your model so that no-one (a grumbling old fart like me, for instance :) ) can say "nice build  but could have been better"! 

Please, don't read all these exclamation marks as scolding - I'm just trying to cheer you, to make you try even harder, because I believe you can :) .

2 minutes ago, dmaclego said:

Please, don't read all these exclamation marks as scolding - I'm just trying to cheer you, to make you try even harder, because I believe you can :) .

Hmm, not sure at all if I can make it the 100% correct rear landing gear geometry. Atleast in this scale since it would need variable lenght for each landing gear strut to make them fold. I must remind that the model weights like 20kg :D Later when I see if the wings currently hold the laser cannons horizontal I can see if I can remove some wing structure to have more space for the landing gear mechanism but I doubt it heavily with the current information.

Happily I have built everything in pretty modular way so it is always possible the revisit one design area later!

Having finished a 200 kg model recently, I know exactly what you mean when talking about strain in the structure ;) .

OK, I did my duty and  i'm not going to nag you anymore. Good luck with your project - you're gonna need it, as Han said ;) .

I will try to improve it but later :D Actually there might be a solution of making only the front struts upper pivot movable so it could slide more close to the front of the engine when landing gear is fully opened.

Edited by drakmin

On 19.8.2017 at 11:31 AM, dmaclego said:

The struts are paralel in your version, while in the film it's clear that only the rear strut is vertical, while the front one is somewhat slanted towards the rear one.

I now have this new prototype:

qHCNbQB.jpg

Edited by drakmin

Perfect !  But how do you move the front strut back into the parallel position for retraction of the landing gear into the fuselage?  

2 hours ago, drakmin said:

I now have this new prototype:

Mission accomplished, then :) . I knew you could do this. Good luck with the rest of your X-wing!

The new landing gear is a ver elegant solution, I hope it works out when fully loaded

Image dump

AwGRoTK.jpg

aligns quite ok with blueprints

8oolZi0.jpg

some shaping to do around canopy

0YgIoJH.jpg

sWniMNw.jpg

inspecting bricklink order :)

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, drakmin said:

Image dump

*Snip*

aligns quite ok with blueprints

really great work. could you post this without the finelined white lines so we could see the model itself? or a pic of the whole thing until now? the nose looks really accurate now :)

2 hours ago, DWJ2018 said:

Could be...

Will be... :wink: 

Oh man, this project is so fun to follow. Thanks for allowing us to watch this evolve. What a fun yet technically challenging project.

This has to be the most awesome Lego project I've ever seen. The attention to detail is simply out of this world! I've dreamt about doing the X-wing in this size with landing gear and all. Now I can't wait to see you progress with this one! 

The whole SW-universe is filled with things that are made to look good in the movies, but does not have a design intended to be functional or even realistic (dimension wise, placement wise etc etc). Just trying to make this X-wing work with respect to that is a feat by itself! 

Small update! I've been lately working on the top and rear greebling. Here are first versions of those.

Tqjbcrj.jpg

zWI4Fcj.jpg

Amazing. The top part looks just like the miniatures. I think you have even included the angled-down seam of the top sides of the fuselage behind the cockpit. Never seen anyone try that before - granted this thing is huge, but it's incredibly impressive nonetheless, especially with mostly technic parts. It's going to be beautiful when completed, I'm sure

5 hours ago, atlas said:

I think you have even included the angled-down seam of the top sides of the fuselage behind the cockpit. Never seen anyone try that before - granted this thing is huge, but it's incredibly impressive nonetheless, especially with mostly technic parts.

Yup! Sharp eyes and thanks! Actually the large scale allows but also demands for this angled seam. Here's an older photo of the seam:

IF6nPr2.jpg

Man, wow. I can't really see a single thing that's out of place. Keep doing what you're doing, because it's working, regardless of the time it's taking. Like I said, can't wait for it to be completed, it'll be a real sight.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to solve the astromech droid? The round part needs to be 5 studs in diameter :) Below you can see 4 studs version and it looks (and is) too small :)

pQqWb0w.jpg

Edited by drakmin