Sign in to follow this  
mephistopheles

Commerce Challenge: Woodward Stables

Hi folks!

This is my entry for soccerkid6's Commerce Challenge. Also I will use this build to continue introducing the History of Woodward (brief chapter now).

In case you missed it: History of Woodward Chapter One

After Lord Mephistopheles freed Marthaville from Martha's terror he didn't loose any time and started construction works. First the infamous Black Widow Inn was re-functioned to serve as a Barracks. One of the most important needs was to build stables, since Avalonians are well known for their horses. The area here hasn't seen much of these noble animals before. Since the Avalonian Army relies much on their cavalry many horses needed to be taken care of.

After the first wave of constructions were finished and peace moved into the area of Woodward the soldiers moved into a new larger barracks and the Black Widow Inn reopened in its original function. The new barracks had it's own stable so the earlier built stables were given free for civil use. As commerce flourished the need for different work horses raised. Now Woodward breeds and trains different work horses. No matter for which kind of work you need a horse you can rely on the woodwardian breed to master difficult terrain and also safely ride during nighttime. It didn't take long until until their good reputation reached the other guilds. These days many people from Kaliphilin, Mitgardia and Nocturnus travel to Woodward to buy their horse here.

So here are the pictures. A customer from Nocturnus has just come to inspect a horse. Also a cartload of straw has also arrived recently and needs to be taken care of.

dscn6601.jpg

dscn6603.jpg

dscn6605.jpg

dscn6607.jpg

dscn6610.jpg

More pictures on my flickr page.

Nice MOC!, as said before your use of cheese is great.

Great usage of cheese! And a lovely presentation.. Nothing to criticize here, good luck!

Best regards!

Well bulit Meph! That cheesey house is really beautiful! Great story aswell! Best of luck in the contest!

Thank you guys!

Strange to see how you all focus on the cheese slopes. I did that before at the Black Widow Inn. My favorite part in this MOC is the roofing. I spent half a day figuring out this technique and it wasn't easy. I didn't mention it earlier, but the roof is sort of modular so I can change the horses inside.

The roof works well as do the cheese slope designs and the straw works perfectly :thumbup:

Very nice stables and it's great to see another entry :classic:

Incredible. Great choice of colours and the cheese slopes! :thumbup:

I'm not sure about the straw though, it looks kind of bulky compared to the rest of the MOC which has a great level of detail.

Perhaps a huge pile of yellow levers instead? :classic:

Perhaps a huge pile of yellow levers instead? :classic:

Good idea. Problem is I don't own any and I don1t really feel like investing money in this right now. However I'll keep this in mind! :wink:

Very nice! I think why there are so many commmets on the cheese slopes is because that is really what makes this MOC stand out. The roof is nice but the color and design of the walls is what I really like. And I think the 1x4 plates work fine for the straw...

Beautiful stables Mephistopheles, the detailing of the walls and the well contructed roof are really something. :thumbup: You say that you can take the roof off to change the horses inside, does that mean that you have a detailed interior to match the outside? If so, i'd love to see it! :sweet:

One thing you might like to think about in your next moc is the quality of your landscaping - in this instance i feel that it lets the moc down slightly. Not that your landscaping is bad by any means, but just next to your beautiful buildings it seems to lack enough detail. Simple things like adding contour to your ground by adding a plate or two height difference, or varying your foliage etc can make a big difference.

Best of luck in the commerce challenge with what is sure to be a very strong entry! :classic:

Edited by gabe

@gabe

Regarding landscaping: I don't own any parts for it. I've just built this little surrounding for the challenge, otherwise I focused on buildings only so far. The reason for this is that I am planing to build a huge landscape, at least 4x7 48x48 baseplate big. I will start with 2x2 baseplate soon featuring the Black Widow Inn, this stable and some smaller things. So be patient, landscaping is on the way :)

@gabe

Regarding landscaping: I don't own any parts for it. I've just built this little surrounding for the challenge, otherwise I focused on buildings only so far. The reason for this is that I am planing to build a huge landscape, at least 4x7 48x48 baseplate big. I will start with 2x2 baseplate soon featuring the Black Widow Inn, this stable and some smaller things. So be patient, landscaping is on the way :)

you keep our builds intact? how much does that cost?!? *huh*

Yes I keep my building intact. I want to build something like DC's Durnovaria, but a larger. You don't want to know how much this costs, belive me. :laugh:

You're becoming quite the builder meph! I can tell with a ton of bricks you would be a building BEAST!

I however, don't love the look of all the cheese walls. I like the design under the windows with the tan and red, but I am not a huge fan of the walls with the "arrow" look. I liked the pattern on the Black Widow Inn, but here it just seems too busy to me. That may be just my personal taste, but I would keep in mind that not every building needs to be really ornate. You did a good job with some interesting shapes on the first two builds, and that appeals to me more than a lot of decoration. Just a thought.

Besides DC's awesome build, I would also check out what maydayartist is doing in the history forum with his big landscape build.

I also keep a decent number of builds intact. In fact, from Historica, I have only dismantled Rossen Manor and the tree house from "Forgotten House".

That means still in one piece right now...

Great Gatehouse of Albion

Greffen Bridge

Mesodraconem Farm

Mesodraconem Trebuchet, Ballistas and mantlets

River Run Watchtower

Wolfpack Tower

Keeper's Tomb

Nocturnus Drow Watchtower

Mitgardian Watchtower

Kaliphlin Watchtower

Thanks Z!

I am familiar with maydayartist's work. Actually he was one of the reasons why I started building LEGO! He and DC.

I totally get what you say regarding the decorated wall. I personally like the Black Widow Inn's wall design more than this one, but you know I am at the very start of my LEGO career. I've started building last year in November-December, so I am in this for only half a year. I did the walls this way because I wanted to experiment. I pretty much came to the same conclusion that I should keep it a little more "clean" in my next builds.

So far I have experimented with this wall technique. My MOC's have been very strict in shape so far. For my next buildings I want to experiment more with different forms: curved walls, other than 90° angles, asymmetric designs, etc. There is still a long road to go and much to learn.

Yes, DC came on the forum after me, yet I would agree he is totally an inspirational builder. I need to learn from his insane organizational skills so I can pump out builds as quickly as he does! maydayartist's build is also pretty wicked. He seems to be improvinghis landscape all the time as well.

So far I have experimented with this wall technique. My MOC's have been very strict in shape so far. For my next buildings I want to experiment more with different forms: curved walls, other than 90° angles, asymmetric designs, etc. There is still a long road to go and much to learn.

These are things everyone builder regardless of experience struggles with at times! Also, if you do build your village, keep elevation in mind as well. Nature doesn't do flat too well (unless you live in eastern North Dakota), so a natural landscpae will have hills and valleys and curved waterways. Just something to get the brain working!

Exactly!

Elevation does play a big role in my plans. My problem is that since I don't tear apart my MOC's (obviously, since they will be on my layout) I need to buy bricks all the time and there is of course a financial cap. Therefore I plan with approximately 3-4 years to finish entire Woodward (yep that will be the layout)...

Great stables ! I love your technique with the cheese slopes :thumbup: , although I don't think I would have the patience for it to use in my builds :hmpf_bad:

Great job on the stable! :thumbup: You made it look like it wasn't made from LEGO. To me, that cheese technique looks it can get really repeatitive to look at. Don't overdo your village with it. Can we get a picture of the inside?

Thanks!

There is nothing special at all about the inside. There are "empty" support walls made of random bricks and that's it. I just made the roof modular, so that I can get those horses out again. Oh, and it was good practice of course. I think I will make use of this roof technique more often.

:laugh: It's sooo funny , i like to use parts of the minifig frankenstein :wink: !

Nice use of lego mosaic for walls :thumbup: !

Edited by Fan of Lego

Great stables! Although the walls are a bit busy I really like the cheese slope style. I think I will never have the patience for doing that :tongue: I also like the hay, sure levers will also do the job but I think the plates work really well too.

And I'm really looking forward seeing all your buildings together. It would be a very nice scene :thumbup:

This is a great build! You've been doing great things with cheese slopes. The roofing is great, as is the sidewalk. I really like how the guy is cleaning up. Nice job!