Falconer

Same League as MMV

While I agree that the price is quite nice, one has to remember that it also has less large parts than many sets. For example if you compare MMV and MVR, the MVR barn is as big as the MMV buildings, and while the windmill is smaller the MMV also has nearly a 1000 more pieces!

Good point. I also want to note though, that MMV is only 100 bucks and comes with 8 minifigs and 3 large animals (2 cows and a horse). Most other $100 sets struggle to include even 6 minifigs and a single horse, let alone what MMV has. To put it in perspective Helm's Deep only has 8 minifigs and 1 horse and is 30 dollars more. Most of the $100-120 Star Wars sets only have 5-6 minifigs. Even King's Castle has 8 minifigs, but only 1 horse!

Saying there is no wall which makes the place open for attack is a pretty poor reason for not liking the combined sets, in my opinion. If anyone is really concerned about that, you can use 7948 Outpost Attack to fill in some gaps

I'll post a picture of my desk. I have the joust, MMV and MVR as well as the blacksmith.

I agree, I don't think walls are necessarily needed. That picture looks pretty good with all the minifigs hustling and bustling about. The Helm's Deep/Uruk-Hai Army walls might work great though with a little modding if you are dying to have everything enclosed.

In terms of intricacy of design and value for money then I think the MMV takes some beating. If you are looking for a companion piece then (as people have already said) the Joust is undoubtedly your best bet. Its the only other castle set that has comparable attention to detail (except maybe Helm's Deep) and the tower actually complements the MMV very well. I've made an impressive scene with just these two sets. The open archway prevents the castle structure structure means its best utilised in the centre of your town rather than at the entrance.

On the value for money... that's one thing where I'm not so impressed with Joust. I mean mainly when you compare it to the MMV. Both have about the same amount of bricks, and both have mostly small bricks, so it's comparable in that regard. But the thing is, I can't get Joust cheaper than about 128 euros shipped, while MMV I can find for under 100 euros shipped (right now it'd be only 90 euros, but I'm broke!). And Joust really is a set that needs two copies to really shine, so it's even worse than that compared to MMV which does perfectly fine on its own.

Bah. Maybe I should just take some people's advice on another forum and give up on the mega-diorama and do smaller ones for each individual set (with MOC expansions for MMV possibly) default_hmpfbad.gif At least then there's no problems with "compatibility" and whatnot.

I just put an Uruk-hai Army wall next to my MMV, and they don’t look good together at all, IMO. Different scale (the UHA wall looks way too small).

I just put an Uruk-hai Army wall next to my MMV, and they don’t look good together at all, IMO. Different scale (the UHA wall looks way too small).

Even with a little modding you don't think they would look good?

Ok, I need to ask this because I have reached this point. I need to choose between the large medieval sets, so considering I have the King's Castle and the Troll Castle from the Fantasy Era, as well as the Uruk-Hai Army, should I pick up the Medieval Market Village or Helm's Deep?

post-26917-13424864061686.jpg

Here's my small village layout.

Quite nifty as it stands there. Is that Whitecap Bay I spot below? How does that look next to these buildings? I've been thinking of getting it myself, for my medieval setup...

Even with a little modding you don't think they would look good?

I personally have full confidence in Helm's Deep and Uruk-Hai Army becoming great outer walls for the village, with some modding. The detail level is already quite high, they probably just need some added height. But you did that already, right?

Ok, I need to ask this because I have reached this point. I need to choose between the large medieval sets, so considering I have the King's Castle and the Troll Castle from the Fantasy Era, as well as the Uruk-Hai Army, should I pick up the Medieval Market Village or Helm's Deep?

Start with MMV, as it won't be around much longer I think. It has had an unusually long life already while Helm's Deep is brand new and won't get discontinued for a while. But ultimately, I think you should get both. Both are simply amazing Castle sets.

IF you were to only get one, however, it depends on what you're after. Given that you have two fine castles already, do you want another castle so you can mod one huge castle - or do you want something fresh and different? Choose depending on that answer.

Yes, it is. I found it on clearance for 50% off. Quite a nice set and it can be modded to fit a medieval theme. The front door and spotlight are really the only things that need to be altered. The collapsing tower is a bit annoying though. Great parts set on the whole if you can find it for the right price.

post-26917-13424928876405.jpg

I have a MMV and MVR and like them together. They are on the same shelf I dsplay the together along with a MOC tower I built (this doesnt look good with them but I am proud of it) I dont have a joust set yet... but maybe sometime soon. I do think the style of joust and MMV are a good match. I have tried building several store houses for my little village that would compliment them but come up lacking.

I don't know how long it'll take for MMV to be topped, but I'd say a while. There have been a few recent sets (Helm's Deep) that have been in a similar league, but... none of them quite as good. MMV was brilliant because it was the best set Castle had produced in a while, especially for the AFOL. It was fun, well built, good value, an incredibly nice parts pack, can be added to for a layout or can simply stand alone, and something a bit different to past sets. This, as the first impression most of us got in 2008, was a pretty good start - and it has lasted, as we are still debating it four years later. I think, in many ways, MMV sparked a wee bit of a new direction for Lego - the style of set has now been mimicked in many themes - and heralded the real start for me of the current 'Golden Age' we have. The attention to detail, the great (at the time) new parts, and the fun, accepting Lego-ness of it endeared it to all.

Many bought several copies (a few a lot more than several!). I bought one, and built it, and loved it, and think it is the best set I have ever bought. I siphon off pieces every now and again for projects, but I could never bear to destroy it. If I were only ever able to thank Lego for one set, I'd thank them for MMV. :classic:

(Sorry for the rant, but any excuse to discuss the virtues of MMV I grab with both hands. :laugh:)

Well I bought one MMV as well and just used it for MOCing. For my first 2 MOC's I used like 80% of it!!! And this comes at a price that even the cheapest bricklink shop can't top! If I had the spare money I would buy some more. Haunted House could be as awesome considering the parts, but it is ridiculously more expensive compared to MMV.

Helms Deep and the MMV are leagues apart. I wouldn't buy Helms Deep unless it was 90% off, but the MMV is the first Lego set that I purchased in the past 15 years and I paid full price for it. The MMV is THE civilian set that many AFOL's lust after and try to recreate

You will be hard pressed to find anything comparable to the MMV. It is quite possibly one of the top 2 or 3 sets Lego has ever produced. Just fantastic in every single way.

Now if you are looking for something to add to it? MVR is probably the best bet. Yeah it's not quite up to MMV. But it has such a nice selection of appropriate figs and animals, and the barn itself is wonderful. The windmill you can leave out. It will flesh out that town scene better than anything else. Second runner up is Joust, mainly just for the figs and the accesory stalls and such. I've never been able to work the walls in in my space.

Diagon Alley is a superb set. If you are looking to do something a little more modern fantasy, such as a Terry Pratchett Diskworld scene it works perfectly.

The newer Hagrids Hut makes a perfect Witches Hut.

I know a lot of people like Helms Deep, but I don't think it blends well with stuff like the MMV. Walls seem wrong, figs are wrong, etc. Of the LotR sets Gandalf Returns works, the Orc Forge isn't bad and the new Bag End will be great.

I agree that Helm's Deep just isn't a good match. Aside from the different style, just like the King's Castle it's just way too small compared to the MMV buildings to be placed near them!

Helms Deep and the MMV are leagues apart. I wouldn't buy Helms Deep unless it was 90% off, but the MMV is the first Lego set that I purchased in the past 15 years and I paid full price for it. The MMV is THE civilian set that many AFOL's lust after and try to recreate

Wow, you must have pretty high standards if you wouldn't pay $20 for Helm's Deep. Even if you don't like the structure, you have almost 1,400 bricks to work with. Sell the minifigs and you would pretty much have it for free. You must not be much of a Lego fan if you would pass that up.

Wow, you must have pretty high standards if you wouldn't pay $20 for Helm's Deep. Even if you don't like the structure, you have almost 1,400 bricks to work with. Sell the minifigs and you would pretty much have it for free. You must not be much of a Lego fan if you would pass that up.

I've been collecting Lego since I got my first set in 1987, set # 6941.

I didn't realize that disliking Helms Deep is a cardinal sin on this website.

I've been collecting Lego since I got my first set in 1987, set # 6941.

I didn't realize that disliking Helms Deep is a cardinal sin on this website.

Hehe, not a cardinal sin, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that set may not be your cup of tea. But when you say you wouldn't even buy it for 13 bucks (90% off) it makes you seem a little... crazy? That's less than ONE CENT PER BRICK!!!

Hehe, not a cardinal sin, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that set may not be your cup of tea. But when you say you wouldn't even buy it for 13 bucks (90% off) it makes you seem a little... crazy? That's less than ONE CENT PER BRICK!!!

Nevermind mind people like him, that just means there'll be more Helm's Deep sets for the rest of us. :wink:

MMV for sure mate. While Helm's Deep is a great set (parts wise more then anything imo) MMV is much better detailed and is a set that any castle lover should own

I stumbled into this thread just out of curiosity. I am pleasantly surprised to see many fans loving the more civil sets and owning the same ones as i do. Actually MMV, MVR and KJ are the only Knights Kingdoms sets i bought as an adult. I really hope that TLG will stick to creating such loveable diorama sets.

I also adore some Prince of Persia sets: Putting the weapons aside, the Fight for the Dagger (7571) and Battle of Alamut (7573) also are great for creating an medieval oriental town.

Of the LOTR line, Helms Deep would be the only set to qualify by size and versatility. Still, it lacks sufficient interior and gadgets to be a must have for me. Please don't get this wrong - I am an outright LOTR fan. However, as to LEGO, i do prefer more the civil sets with furniture, animals and spots of the everyday life in the middle ages.

My unrestricted fandom or war/military based LEGOs is set in a galaxy far, far away...

And even there i would love to see more diorama type sets.

Edited by Ki-Adi-Mundi

Well, off the top of my head I could say only one set that would look great together with MMV without modification if put into the same diorama. And that is Mill Village Raid. The barn and windmill look good enough on the outskirts of a MMV - based village. Maybe a Hagrid's Hut would be a passable match, too, but I'm not so sure.